Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
oz in SC asked me;

I don't know how to link to TV stories, sorry. However, check out PBs during the last 20 minutes or so this Friday night, same thing with "This Week" on Sunday morning. During the last 20 minutes or so they do a "In Memoriam" segment where they mention, and show clips of noted authors, actors, politicians and others who have passed and then say, "The Pentagon this week released the names of XX soldiers and sailors who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan". They then show the name, rank, affiliation and hometown in groups of three.

They've both been doing this since the war(s) began. I can't speak for the nightly newscasts because for that I go PBS and then local stations. Local stations always mention, and when I lived in a small town the (50 miles away) stations covered the family, the honoring of the hearse as it passed through town and interviewed family and classmates of the deceased.

golfgod
Well that is true our local news will report deaths as we have bases here in our town and also nearby in GA....

But the 'big three' national news outlets do not seem to care anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
oz in sc wrote;
Quote:
most on the left care nothing now about how many are killed as the dead
Stop generalizing, it shows the bankruptcy of your ideas. I've got more than a couple of friends who are active in the anti-war movement who, like me are combat vets. BTW, my wife actually STANDS when the newscasts read the toll of war dead and often rearranged her schedule to stand and honor the passing hearses of soldiers from our area.

I think the people who didnt' care about the dead were Cheney and Rumsfeld. I believe G.W. Bush when he said that as a Christian he worried about sending our soldiers into harm's way and grieved in private and with the families of the killed and wounded. I think he was a good man, who unfortunately was too gullible and incurious to take either question his advisors or take a long view of things.

I've got to get out of this thread, it's bringing me down.

golfgod

Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps those of you who read or see such reports could post a link to one of the main networks of newspapers?
This is a standing section in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/us/07list.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/us...er=rss&emc=rss

and sadly from this weekend:
Somber Return for 5 Soldiers Killed in Mosul, Iraq - ABC News

5 U.S. Soldiers Killed In Iraq Attack - CBS News

Iraq suicide bombing kills five U.S. soldiers - CNN.com

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/0...killed_041009/

and this did make the front page of the Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/wo...q.html?_r=1&hp

None of these was hard to find.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Thanks,what page is that on in the paper?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
The premise of this thread is A COMPLETE LIE, COMPLETE LIE. A lie so vile has to be named twice.

AFAIK there NEVER was a "nightly/weekly" body count, and for much of the war I pretty regularly watched the 6:00PM news, rotating among the "big 3". However, every Friday night on "Newshour" (formerly "McNeil-Lehrer") on PBS, and every Sunday morning on ABC "This Week" (George Stephanopolous) they have ALWAYS and continue to honor those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

PBS announces the names with pictures, if they've been provided by families, ABC, just shows name, rank, service affiliation and hometown.

The fact that the OP would start this shows the complete bankruptcy of the right wing. Back when we were losing 100 men and women a month FOX NEWS (a partially owned subsidiary of the Bush White House-or vice verse) probably NEVER ANNOUNCED HOW MANY WERE BEING KILLED. I surmise this because a couple of times in discussion with friends who get all their news from Fox, they insisted that only "a dozen or so per month" Americans were being killed in war zones.

Start an honest thread sometime.
golfgod
Gotta love the selective memory of some, to deny that they ran the count of the dead soldiers EVERY night is a COMPLETE LIE,COMPLETE lie so vile it has to be said twice...
On the all the networks everyday they'd say something to the effect of "5soldiers were killed today bringing the total to xxx killed since the begining of the conflict..." If that ain't a body count then I wonder what is....

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you provide links to ABC,NBC,CBS or any major newspaper article covering this in the last week?
As if you couldn't find this yourself:

In Memoriam:Nick Adenhart, Constantine Papadakis, Jerome Waldie, Bob Lange - ABC News

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,905 times
Fking media is so sickening !

Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
Yes, I noticed. The mainstream media's fascination with counting dead US soldiers miraculously ended on November 4, 2008:

http://powinca.blogspot.com/2009/08/whats-body-count-now.html (broken link)

http://powinca.blogspot.com/2009/07/little-perspective-on-death.html (broken link)

Last edited by POWinCA; 08-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: fix links

Old 08-19-2009, 11:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Well thats because Obama is president now. The war is virtuous and honorable and yes it is a success. We are winning!!!

Last edited by tinman01; 08-19-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
this much i know 1 million iraqi people are dead. i know what was done in NYC was awful but in view of the fact that they did not do it and that we know who did, can we just call it even and leave now please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-19-2009 at 11:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies