Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The answer is the Fair Tax. with it there would be no taxes on gasoline and other things they tax hell out of. No taxes on anything but what one buys. Remember, too many people can't understand that the IRS and income taxes would be gone. Each pay period everybody would get his whole pay check with nothing at all withheld. Why you would even get a cost of living prebate check each month and pay only when you bought something other than necessities.

Get rid of the income tax and watch that tax code go to nothing. Everybody pays the same rate on everything they buy. The wealthy spend more so they get to pay more.
I don't want to get into a war over the fair tax but I think it's just unworkable... first of all, you would have to tax everything at about 35-45% to make up the revenue you would lose. Secondly, it would encourage a booming black market (other countries that have done this have gone through it)... and lastly, the rich would pay a lower percentage in taxes than the middle class. If I made $2M dollars, I would probably only need to spend about $500K-$1M to live well... if I made 60K, I would have to spend a higher percentage of my money so I would have a higher tax rate... that's not a flat or progressive tax system. The poor and rich would be ok but not the middle class. I don't think it's workable at all... and even Bush's tax policy team dismissed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
This sounds like something everybody can get behind if he can make it happen... there are a lot of special interests who have tax incentives buried in that code...

"We need to simplify a monstrous tax code that is far too complicated for most Americans to understand, but just complicated enough for the insiders who know how to game the system," Obama said.

Obama vows to simplify the tax code - Tax Tactics- msnbc.com
This is great news because several economists have said that up to 90% of all tax filings contain errors simply because our tax code is so damn complex. You ask three CPAs what is allowed and you get three totally different answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies