Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM

47 posts, read 150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
There was already a Special on one of the major networks, can't recall which one? They had a small group of people who had extended handgun training and they put all three in a room. I think the room was to mimic a conference room. In the scenario a bad guy stormed the room and all the tester's failed the test. I am not suggesting that every person who undergoes extensive handgun training will fail but to suggest otherwise is not a good statement to make either.

As someone who has been around firearms my whole life since age 8, I can tell you that the 20/20 scenario you are talking about was as one sided as you can possible be.

without getting into a drawn out disscussion about it, the shooters in that scenario were all trained police officers, and they came into the room blasting randomly, this is rarely the case in a shooting scenario, most real shooting consist of a shooter that has no training, such as in the VA tech shooting, the shooter had no training, he was just a mental case that entered the room to shoot people, this is much different, than putting a scenario together where the shooter is a trained police officer, who trains with his weapon daily, also the fact that everyone in that scenario knows they are going home, because it is fake. Also, most of the students who participated knew nothign about guns except for 1 and he was not proficient either. All they did was throw the student into the room and gave him a gun and said "don't tell anyone you have it" they were thrown into the room like lemmings that did not have a clue why they were given a gun.

There are countless documented cases where off duty police and civilians with a concealed weapon have thwarted a shooter.

It is interesting how the 20/20 scenario only showed one side of the gun issue and chose to air only the side that was anti gun.

I would also like to know why John Stossel was not part of that segment, he would has added much more balance to it, but instead they chose to have a liberal one sided story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am a liberal politically and economically. I also believe that every non criminal citizen should own and carry a weapon just to keep his fellow citizens safe from criminal assault. The police cannot be everywhere but the rest of us can.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a liberal politically and economically. I also believe that every non criminal citizen should own and carry a weapon just to keep his fellow citizens safe from criminal assault. The police cannot be everywhere but the rest of us can.

That's because you are from NH, where "Live Free or Die" is still the norm. liberal in your neck of the woods is not the same as it is here in Liberal CA.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
OK......
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
....( Snip for brevity).......

But there is some goofy bill the NRA is trying to get passed in California that would turn California into a "Shall issue" state instead of a "May issue" one.
You mean an objective criteria issue law like the laws in around 40 other states?
Map summary of state gun laws from the Washington Post:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/interactives/gunlaws/

It looks like well regulated freedom is the norm -- except in a few places.

And , of course , the progress of concealed carry laws since the 1980's:
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

Check out the animated map.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I lived in Miami for years, a huge metro area with a history of riots and racial tension where many people have a concealed permit and mass hysteria with a concealed weapon never occured ,or if it did which I'm not aware of, it was a rare occurance.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM

It seems like a huge sign of progress that gun prohibitionists are on the defensive. Trying to hold on to imagined prohibitions in New York and LA that only effect regular citizens -- not the rich & powerful.
There are thousands of CCW permits in both metro areas. All it takes for a qualified citizen to obtain a permit ( or hire a state certified bodyguard ) is heavy political pull and lots of money.

That's not fair and it's unAmerican.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM

It's very likely that by this time next year , the NRA v Chicago case will have driven yet another stake through the heart of the gun prohibition movement. Incorporation of the 2nd Amendment -- equal with the other named rights in the Bill of Rights -- will quiet many of the fringe types from both sides.
Then we can talk about effective public safety and crime reduction measures without all the background noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies