Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 PM

34 posts, read 94,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I didn't see anywhere in the cited news articles any reference to a stipulation stating the white males were excluded from access to the scholarship money...

Aside from the donor(s) wanting to be anonymous, this is the closest to a discussion of the terms:

Did the content in the articles change?

did you not read, or what? It clearly says what i quoted from the article, in the article

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation (broken link)

4th paragraph in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Assuming your statement is factual...just because more women than men attend college, doesn't mean those women are necessarily able to afford college. When I say afford, I mean that you are fully paid up on college AND all of your regular bills. A lot of women struggle on that point. Not all. But quite a few do. If you went out on the streets and surveyed women in general about student loans I guarantee you the majority of them don't know what their options are. They're also the ones most taken advantage of by banks and lenders who assume that females are generally helpless when it comes to financial management - unfortunately, that general statement is often true - and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

And before you ask, I speak from experience: I worked in the student loan industry during both its peak and its fall, federal and private. There are so many women who have debt they don't even know about: mothers who just sign on the line for their kids, women going back to college who sign paperwork and don't even know they've just extended over $100,000 worth of debt to go to school - and the shock hits them when they get done and can't find a job fresh out.
i certainly hope that since you have been in the industry that you were doing your part to protect women from that kind of stupidity, and men as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
did you not read, or what? It clearly says what i quoted from the article, in the article

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

4th paragraph in
Oh, BAM. My bad...!!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
There are many unusual college scholarships.
There is one for left handed people, tall people, twins, etc.
A College Scholarship Program for Left-Handed Students

Old 04-19-2009, 06:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
There are many unusual college scholarships.
There is one for left handed people, tall people, twins, etc.
A College Scholarship Program for Left-Handed Students
TWINS? Ohh, scholarships... I was thinking dating..

Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times
They are starting a new secret fraternity too - it's called 'Skull and Spareribs'.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 PM

564 posts, read 893,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I'm sure Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be the first to denounce such racism.
LMFAO! Just what I was thinking!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
They are starting a new secret fraternity too - it's called 'Skull and Spareribs'.

Oh snap, you gonna go down with that Morehouse secret.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,395 times
Quote:
Some rich guy looked at the statistical data, and made a decision. And old_cold is correct: almost every scholarship has similar restrictions. There are scholarships for women only, some for men only. There are scholarships for minorities only. This is no different than any of those.
Yes, there are scholarships that are DIRECTED TOWARDS certain groups, and I don't think that is racist/sexist because maybe the donor has some connection with that group. However, this particular scholarship is inherently racist because it specifies whom to keep it away from. "Everyone but white males," sounds very similar to "everyone but black males." It's not encouraging a specific group to excel, but instead saying that it doesn't want a group to progress.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
But if its based on race its racist. What would one think if they only exclued black and mexican males. If they take it then that can happen . He has a right to do it but he needs to manage it himself not give it to a instiitution that is under mandates not to discriminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies