Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:05 PM

654 posts, read 466,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
White males get just about everything else handed to them, so really who cares?
This is BS. I came from a lower middle class family and I had to work very hard to get where I am. I remember clearly working 12 hour days, delivering furniture in 90+ degree, including severe humidity or spending 50 hours a week landscaping.

As a student, I was constantly overlooked. It wasn't until college and grad school did I start to get the much deserved recognition.

Nothing was handed to me, so take your BS elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Welcome to the 21st Century. Where racism is denounced, but throughly practiced against whites.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
I didn't see anywhere in the cited news articles any reference to a stipulation stating the white males were excluded from access to the scholarship money...

Aside from the donor(s) wanting to be anonymous, this is the closest to a discussion of the terms:

Quote:
Each was delivered since March 1 and came with the same stipulation: Most of the money must be used for student scholarships, and the remainder can be spent on various costs such as research, equipment, strategic goals and operating support.
Did the content in the articles change?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
i know that the schools are not to release the names of the mystery donor or organization involved, but why can't the media release who is funding this? we seem to be surrounded in secrecy, or maybe it is just a lazy media which refuses to investigate articles like they used to.......
maybe another mystery donor could come forth and release their money to mostly white males. :0)

Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Scholarships based on race is racism, pure and simple. Some one ought to sue and take this all the way to the Supreme Court!
Sexism too!

Somebody, or something, is going to get suu . . uuuuuuuuu . . uued!

Wouldn't mind being a member of that plaintiff group.

Forget that! I wouldn't mind owning the law firm that takes the case.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i know that the schools are not to release the names of the mystery donor or organization involved, but why can't the media release who is funding this? we seem to be surrounded in secrecy, or maybe it is just a lazy media which refuses to investigate articles like they used to.......
maybe another mystery donor could come forth and release their money to mostly white males. :0)
If it excluded black males the media would find a way to cover it.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Sexism too!

Somebody, or something, is going to get suu . . uuuuuuuuu . . uued!

Wouldn't mind being a member of that plaintiff group.

Forget that! I wouldn't mind owning the law firm that takes the case.
No one is getting sued

There is NOTHING that says we can not discriminate against others in our day to day lives. Discrimination protection only exist in some avenues of the law including housing and employment, in many avenues of society racism is actually allowed legally..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No one is getting sued

There is NOTHING that says we can not discriminate against others in our day to day lives. Discrimination protection only exist in some avenues of the law including housing and employment, in many avenues of society racism is actually allowed legally..
By Federally Funded Entities?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You do know that there are a lot more women than men that attend college, right? Right along with that I also believe that scholarships are awarded to women more often than men..
Assuming your statement is factual...just because more women than men attend college, doesn't mean those women are necessarily able to afford college. When I say afford, I mean that you are fully paid up on college AND all of your regular bills. A lot of women struggle on that point. Not all. But quite a few do. If you went out on the streets and surveyed women in general about student loans I guarantee you the majority of them don't know what their options are. They're also the ones most taken advantage of by banks and lenders who assume that females are generally helpless when it comes to financial management - unfortunately, that general statement is often true - and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

And before you ask, I speak from experience: I worked in the student loan industry during both its peak and its fall, federal and private. There are so many women who have debt they don't even know about: mothers who just sign on the line for their kids, women going back to college who sign paperwork and don't even know they've just extended over $100,000 worth of debt to go to school - and the shock hits them when they get done and can't find a job fresh out.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
By Federally Funded Entities?
Schools are federally funded entitites, the grants are not.. They go from the myster donor to shell companies which hold the money until the grant recipiants yearly are chosen, then the funds leave the shell companies to the schools on behalf of the recipiant

Similar to how the Gates Foundation is holding Bill Gates and Buffets money, the money did not go from Buffet to Gates, they went from Buffet to Gates foundation, "the shell company"..

Shell companies are done for various reasons
1) To guarantee that the funds will be around for years and maximize the ROI
2) The one giving the money can dictate under what terms the grant recipiants will receive funding
3) The one giving the money can dictate who sits on the board
4) They are tax exempt, meaning they can invest money and profit without paying taxes..

There are others, but you get the hint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies