Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM

73 posts, read 89,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I am not sure if this is really racist but perhaps biased might be the better term to use; however, perhaps the donor recognizes that in general, women tend to still have to work harder, apply themselves more, struggle more for scholarships than white men; and what if the donation was contingent on 'only the underserved' ... would that be a biased or racist condition...I don't think it would be....
" in general, women tend to still have to work harder, apply themselves more, struggle more for scholarships than white men"

Are you able to back up your anti-male propaganda with facts or are you simply parroting left wing hate speech because it is easier than facing life as it really is without the convienient distortion of your own bigotry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
In analyzing this there is a specific reason he/she excluded white males. It's because statistically it's the white male who is most capable of getting the funding necessary to go to full college. Women have it tough, what with child care and other factors, plus there are still discriminatory considerations. Minorities is obvious.
You do know that there are a lot more women than men that attend college, right? Right along with that I also believe that scholarships are awarded to women more often than men..

Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
I support the individuals right to request such stipulations upon accepting the money but who can deny if it was the other way around it would be called racism.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,510 times
Scholarships based on race is racism, pure and simple. Some one ought to sue and take this all the way to the Supreme Court!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Scholarships based on race is racism, pure and simple. Some one ought to sue and take this all the way to the Supreme Court!
The US Supreme court has continued to rule that individuals are allowed to create special exemptions such as Boy Scouts can exempt girls, United Negro College Fund can exclude whites etc.

Discrimination is now allowed in the work place, it is allowed in society, provided you do not accept taxpayer money to fund your activities individuals are still entitled to the rights of this country, and yes, that includes the right to discriminate..

Old 04-19-2009, 04:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
The OP isn't exactly being honest. Reading the details of the scholarships it seems that a large PORTION has been designated for minorities and women. Plenty of millions still to go to the white men he is so concerned about.

I'd also like to know if he is concerned about all of hundreds of thousands maybe millions of scholarships natonwide available to Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, Polish Americans and so on.

And isn't it nice that someone out there, rather than fritter all of that money away on jewels, yachts, houses and other stuff gave so generously to help others? And without requesting glory and kudos and naming buildings after themselves.

How about a nice big THANK YOU instead of twisting it in order to rile people up and try to score political points.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM

471 posts, read 587,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
The OP isn't exactly being honest. Reading the details of the scholarships it seems that a large PORTION has been designated for minorities and women. Plenty of millions still to go to the white men he is so concerned about.

I'd also like to know if he is concerned about all of hundreds of thousands maybe millions of scholarships natonwide available to Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, Polish Americans and so on.

And isn't it nice that someone out there, rather than fritter all of that money away on jewels, yachts, houses and other stuff gave so generously to help others? And without requesting glory and kudos and naming buildings after themselves.

How about a nice big THANK YOU instead of twisting it in order to rile people up and try to score political points.
+1 you nailed it on that part.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Purdue not the only school with mystery donor | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

This guy has donated at least $45 million to schools in the last month. With the stipulation that the money be used on scholarships for everyone except white males. All while forcing the schools not to look into his identity.

What do you think about this? I think that the schools should reject the funds. They have no idea how this person got all of this money, and it seems racist to give scholarships to everyone except white males.
White males get just about everything else handed to them, so really who cares?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM

654 posts, read 466,484 times
I only read that UMUC received $6 million and $5 million must go to women and minorities. It didn't say if this stipulation was present in every donation.

It is a nice gesture, albeit a racist and sexist gesture. It is unfortunate that people still see color and sex before capabilities. That is the type of world we live in. I attend a very racist university. We have "minority only" symposiums, claiming that you can only present your research if you are a minority. Our student elections happened recently, with a great deal of emphasis of trying to get a "represented government" rather than voting people into office based on issues.

It is the donor's money and the schools have to respect his/her racism/sexism.

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 04-19-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
White males get just about everything else handed to them, so really who cares?
Care to name ANYTHING that your statement is true about? What do we get HANDED to us to doesnt get handed to everyone else? I really want to know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies