Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 AM

34 posts, read 94,038 times

Advertisements

Purdue not the only school with mystery donor | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

Quote:
The donor requested that the university swear in writing not to try to uncover his or her identity. The other stipulation was that the money go to scholarships for women and minorities.

This guy has donated at least $45 million to schools in the last month. With the stipulation that the money be used on scholarships for everyone except white males. All while forcing the schools not to look into his identity.

What do you think about this? I think that the schools should reject the funds. They have no idea how this person got all of this money, and it seems racist to give scholarships to everyone except white males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
If true, they should reject it.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
WOW

This is horrible.

What is so wrong with being a white male?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times
I'm sure Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be the first to denounce such racism.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I'm sure Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be the first to denounce such racism.
They will be the first to ask the money for their own courses...

Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Purdue not the only school with mystery donor | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

This guy has donated at least $45 million to schools in the last month. With the stipulation that the money be used on scholarships for everyone except white males. All while forcing the schools not to look into his identity.

What do you think about this? I think that the schools should reject the funds. They have no idea how this person got all of this money, and it seems racist to give scholarships to everyone except white males.

Well, it's his money; he has a right to spend it anyway he desires. I don't disagree that it is racist. But then, nobody is forcing the schools to accept it...

Bud

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,950 times
I am not sure if this is really racist but perhaps biased might be the better term to use; however, perhaps the donor recognizes that in general, women tend to still have to work harder, apply themselves more, struggle more for scholarships than white men; and what if the donation was contingent on 'only the underserved' ... would that be a biased or racist condition...I don't think it would be....

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
If racist, why just males?
It would be ridiculous, in fact impossible, to refuse it on principle if you don't know what the principle you're basing it on is.

Many scholarships specify a single or narrow range of qualification(s) and therefore are exclusionary in fact.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
It's not a racist deal.

Some rich guy looked at the statistical data, and made a decision. And old_cold is correct: almost every scholarship has similar restrictions. There are scholarships for women only, some for men only. There are scholarships for minorities only. This is no different than any of those.

In analyzing this there is a specific reason he/she excluded white males. It's because statistically it's the white male who is most capable of getting the funding necessary to go to full college. Women have it tough, what with child care and other factors, plus there are still discriminatory considerations. Minorities is obvious.

This donor likely felt that the white male already has enough going for him, and wanted to do something to contribute to the less fortunate. I make him a white male, probably 50's - 80's, owns or has owned at least two businesses, who is doing this out of savings. He probably has been involved in professional fields where he was exposed to both sides, friends who have put down minorities and/or women.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It's not a racist deal.

Some rich guy looked at the statistical data, and made a decision. And old_cold is correct: almost every scholarship has similar restrictions. There are scholarships for women only, some for men only. There are scholarships for minorities only. This is no different than any of those.

In analyzing this there is a specific reason he/she excluded white males. It's because statistically it's the white male who is most capable of getting the funding necessary to go to full college. Women have it tough, what with child care and other factors, plus there are still discriminatory considerations. Minorities is obvious.

This donor likely felt that the white male already has enough going for him, and wanted to do something to contribute to the less fortunate. I make him a white male, probably 50's - 80's, owns or has owned at least two businesses, who is doing this out of savings. He probably has been involved in professional fields where he was exposed to both sides, friends who have put down minorities and/or women.
I'm sure many of the white males living in rural areas of the country whose families are too poor to afford college will agree with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies