Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Legalize it.
Make the age 18.
At 18, you are considered an adult. You can enter into a contract, die for your country, get married, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
We are losing out on an entire industry.

Costs of Marijuana Prohibition: Economic Analysis

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Legalize it.
Make the age 18.
At 18, you are considered an adult. You can enter into a contract, die for your country, get married, etc.
I first smoked when I was 12. It would be hard to enforce such a law, especially when anyone can grow the stuff.

But I suppose symbolically, that would be the way to go.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
All the while treating cigarette smokers like criminals...

Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Legalize it.
Make the age 18.
Great plan...allow people whose brains are nowhere near fully developed and whose frontal lobes prohibit them from making clear judgments already to use a mind-altering substance. Not to mention, the high school seniors will be able to legally buy all they possibly want for their 9th grade friends.

I don't support legailization of pot...but if we absolutely have to do it...make the minimum age 21. Although I am not for legalization, I am for decriminalization. Fine them and be done with it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
All the while treating cigarette smokers like criminals...
Yes. We are discriminated against as smokers aren't we?

Tobacco is not a mind-altering substance. With the possible exception of second-hand smoke, it only hurts those of us who choose to use it. Therefore, the state has far more business criminalizing marijuana use than tobacco use.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Great plan...allow people whose brains are nowhere near fully developed and whose frontal lobes prohibit them from making clear judgments already to use a mind-altering substance.

I don't support legailization of pot...but if we absolutely have to do it...make the minimum age 21. Although I am not for legalization, I am for decriminalization. Fine them and be done with it.
At 18 you are considered in the majority.
Are you saying that we send "people whose brains are nowhere near fully developed and whose frontal lobes prohibit them from making clear judgments already to use a mind-altering substance" into war to die for US corporate interests and get married and enter legal contracts under the same conditions?

They can make adult decisions to do one, they can do the other.
_______
Tobacco is a known carcinogen.
It's been proven to reduce fetal weight, etc.
So, it's okay for you but not for pot smokers with no known health effects?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
At 18 you are considered in the majority.
Are you saying that we send "people whose brains are nowhere near fully developed and whose frontal lobes prohibit them from making clear judgments already to use a mind-altering substance" into war to die for US corporate interests and get married and enter legal contracts under the same conditions?

They can make adult decisions to do one, they can do the other.
The brain matures as a gradual process...it doesn't occur overnight. The law shouldn't pretend that it does and grant all legal rights of adulthood in a split second.

At the bare minimum, require a high school diploma to buy pot so that high school seniors can't buy for younger classmates. An 18 year old has to have graduated high school to join the military.

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I've known potheads in my life, and I just don't see how people can say that it is not addictive. These people de-evolve, are content to just sit and chill and toke. For hours, every day. They don't want to work, they don't want to go to school. They live for the joint.
How is that not addictive behavior?

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes. We are discriminated against as smokers aren't we?

Tobacco is not a mind-altering substance. With the possible exception of second-hand smoke, it only hurts those of us who choose to use it. Therefore, the state has far more business criminalizing marijuana use than tobacco use.

I have a feeling all those in favor watched last weeks "Family guy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies