Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,393,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, I don't support it because it portrays those in favor of same-sex marriage as pariahs who want to destroy the foundations of American society. The theme is "us versus them"; "us" being straight people and "them" being gay people.

When I first saw the ad, I actually thought it was a parody of something else. It comes across as melodramatic and schlocky.
Odd. I'd define pariah as narcississtic homosexuals with no concern for AIDS being the source of 71% of new AIDS cases among American males. Now that's a pariah but obviously you make no effort to reign them in.

And if you want to see melodramatic, Perez Hilton.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Who footed the bill for your corrective heart surgery - A defect you were born with
Perks of the job for defending your constitutional rights with my life.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,959,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Perks of the job for defending your constitutional rights with my life.
So you are assuming all gay men with hiv don't have jobs that have similar perks. Plus, these people pay taxes as well, just as much as you do.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
So you are assuming all gay men with hiv don't have jobs that have similar perks. Plus, these people pay taxes as well, just as much as you do.
I'm sure some do but the costs of treatment for life with HIV which is lasting longer and longer everyday, are only increasing. And let's suppose that a gay has such benefits, you do know that those costs get passed along? You do know that people have a much greater issue paying for those conditions that are the result of ignorant behavior vice say a congenital condition, a condition that is the result of an accident a person has no control over, or a condition that comes about for an unknown reason.

Just as we should not pay for anyone born after the 70s or so who develops cancer from smoking, we should not pay for STDs among a part of the population that shows it refuses to practice safe sex though in their community it's more than obvious that STDs are an issue.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,228,165 times
Quote:

And taxation without representation I might add.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:14 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,959,944 times
Quote:
I'm sure some do but the costs of treatment for life with HIV which is lasting longer and longer everyday, are only increasing. And let's suppose that a gay has such benefits, you do know that those costs get passed along? You do know that people have a much greater issue paying for those conditions that are the result of ignorant behavior vice say a congenital condition, a condition that is the result of an accident a person has no control over, or a condition that comes about for an unknown reason.

Just as we should not pay for anyone born after the 70s or so who develops cancer from smoking, we should not pay for STDs among a part of the population that shows it refuses to practice safe sex though in their community it's more than obvious that STDs are an issue.
Gay men are not the only high risk group though. There are other groups that are at high risk for getting the disease, particularly african american females. I will accept your logic, if you are willing to concede that all groups who get hiv through ignorant behaviour should not be covered. It is NOT just gay men. Also remember, although agreed a high risk group, gay men are not the only people who can and do get infected.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
pba

410 posts, read 918,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I understand your point, but you've begun to start preaching to everyone and talking down to me especially because I'm not subscribing to your religious beliefs... and that is indeed insulting and offensive.. so I could say the same to you. but I thought my response was very simple and to the point... in asking you to go back to the drawing board in formulating your own responses because throwing jesus talk at all of us isn't proving anything.. and pointing fingers at everyone like their sins are worse than yours is certainly not what christ would do.. so for the sake of your point of view, I advise you to calm your antics down and stick to the issue rather than taking us down the "burning in hell" street.. that doesn't get you anywhere in a public debate or discussion.
and my point is they ask questions to see how you answer it in judging you in a beauty contest... She answered honestly.. like everyone else, but it was divisive so she lost.
Same thing would be if they asked someone what they would do with 1 million dollars.. If the girl said she'd "buy a new house and a sports car" it would be an honest answer, but the judges would be looking for empathy in maybe saying they'd start a charity or something..
Point is.. beauty pageant isn't a "roll up and be yourself contest" its entirely fake and ridiculous, so to think she was somehow treated poorly because of her answer is insane and rooted in political agenda's on both sides of the issue. so stop equating her consequences to her answer... to the ever present cross many of you like to think you bear all the time concerning this issue.... Because it's really getting old...
You do NOT understand my point and probably never will. The fact that you find my 'preaching' insulting and offensive makes no difference to me. I'm not taking the 'holier than thou' approach but simply pointing out my beliefs as they pertain to gays and gay marriage.

With the belief in God and heaven comes the belief in hell/Satan so the discussion goes hand in hand.

So by my 'throwing Jesus talk' at you what I'm trying to do is reach out to you since you're apparently in such dire need of it. The fact that it doesn't have an affect on you is YOUR fault and nobody else's. The only way to ever find God is to search for him....and I'm just trying to open your eyes to this so hopefully you'll get there someday.

If my 'antics' aren't something you consider worthy of public debate then you need to take a step back and think about this for a while. It's people like me that are in the voting majority and will be able to dictate public policy for decades to come.

YOUR antics are the ones barely worth discussion since the gay lifestyle is something that is shameful at best and ideally would have no place in this world. You're lucky that you're not in a Muslim nation because they have zero tolerance for gays at all and in most Muslim countries being found gay is punishable by death...not at all something I believe in or would condone but you seem to be taking the freedoms you already have in this country for granted and maybe you should just be happy with what you already have.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,680,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
You do NOT understand my point and probably never will. The fact that you find my 'preaching' insulting and offensive makes no difference to me. I'm not taking the 'holier than thou' approach but simply pointing out my beliefs as they pertain to gays and gay marriage.

With the belief in God and heaven comes the belief in hell/Satan so the discussion goes hand in hand.

So by my 'throwing Jesus talk' at you what I'm trying to do is reach out to you since you're apparently in such dire need of it. The fact that it doesn't have an affect on you is YOUR fault and nobody else's. The only way to ever find God is to search for him....and I'm just trying to open your eyes to this so hopefully you'll get there someday.

If my 'antics' aren't something you consider worthy of public debate then you need to take a step back and think about this for a while. It's people like me that are in the voting majority and will be able to dictate public policy for decades to come.

YOUR antics are the ones barely worth discussion since the gay lifestyle is something that is shameful at best and ideally would have no place in this world. You're lucky that you're not in a Muslim nation because they have zero tolerance for gays at all and in most Muslim countries being found gay is punishable by death...not at all something I believe in or would condone but you seem to be taking the freedoms you already have in this country for granted and maybe you should just be happy with what you already have.

Your 'truth' is different from my truth, and I believe religion should have nothing to do with civilized debate.

That said, you say that homosexuals should be ashamed of themselves for the way they were born, and that they should be happy to have what they have here because in other places they would be killed?

Along the same vein, should I be content with being a woman here simply because in other countries women are oppressed?
"Well, some women are forced to wear a burka and aren't allowed to be out in public, so I should be THANKFUL that I can vote!"

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,724,560 times
Quote:
Yeah, you think encouraging discussion means having everyone agree with you. You're merely an attention who%$ and what's worse is you culdn't care less if it was positive attention or negative. You come across as a preening drama queen.
No, you're just so blinded by your anti-gay mindset that you're unable to see gay people as complete human beings.

It's interesting that you say I only want to have discussions where everyone agrees with me, but then you say that I'm an attention whor* who couldn't care less if the attention I get is positive or negative. That doesn't make sense.

I get along with most people here just fine. I've disagreed with liberals and I've agreed with conservatives. There's actually several conservatives here who I really like. I know they'd vouch for me.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,724,560 times
Quote:
Odd. I'd define pariah as narcississtic homosexuals with no concern for AIDS being the source of 71% of new AIDS cases among American males. Now that's a pariah but obviously you make no effort to reign them in.

And if you want to see melodramatic, Perez Hilton.
Good job staying on topic, bud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies