Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Unless you think the kid has a gun or a bomb in his rectum, it should NEVER be done.
Not even Al Quaida does that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When security demands that a girl must be stripped to check she is not carrying any contraband or weapons, her minor embarrassment is irrelevant. That is the attitude of ALL security agents. Reason and/or judgment has nothing to do with the sacred security.
I hate EMPOWERED security guards.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you are taking it too far. i agreed with the post you just agreed with also. i guess you didn't read that though huh? i'm not saying this strip search stuff should be taken lightly....i'm just saying schools should have the right to do so if it is absolutely necessary. most people here are saying it should NEVER be done.
I'm one saying a strip search should NEVER be done of a child at school and especially on a tip from another dumbazzed kid over ASPIRIN.If it has to be done,it should be done by a same gender LEO with a parent present at the Police station or hospital ....Those school officials are extremely lucky that the parents didn't go off and kill them...I would have voted "not guilty" and "justifiable homicide" had I been called for jury duty at their trial.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I hate EMPOWERED security guards.
Empowered or otherwise.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Empowered or otherwise.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Obama's message with his choice of Sotomayer: EMPATHY.

It takes a woman's touch.

"Souter told a lawyer during the session that he would "rather have the kid embarrassed by a strip search ... than to have some other kids dead because the stuff is distributed at lunchtime." Others made similar comments, and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the court's only woman, told a USA Today reporter later that some of her male colleagues didn't seem to understand the situation from a 13-year-old girl's perspective."

Court: Strip-search of teen girl illegal

Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Obama's message with his choice of Sotomayer: EMPATHY.

It takes a woman's touch.

"Souter told a lawyer during the session that he would "rather have the kid embarrassed by a strip search ... than to have some other kids dead because the stuff is distributed at lunchtime." Others made similar comments, and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the court's only woman, told a USA Today reporter later that some of her male colleagues didn't seem to understand the situation from a 13-year-old girl's perspective."

Court: Strip-search of teen girl illegal
Is it that they don't understand it from a 13-year-old girl's perspective, or is it that their responsibilities require them to weigh her perspective against a number of other factors? I don't think it takes too much imagination even for a 70-year-old man to understand how this could be traumatic for a 13-year-old girl. And in the end, it looks like most of them did understand, so I don't put a lot of stock in Ginsburg's assessment of her colleagues.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Illegal searches can only be conducted by the police not school officals unless their is a specific law against it. If they sue its not because it was illegal. If it were illegal then they would pursue criminal charges.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is it that they don't understand it from a 13-year-old girl's perspective, or is it that their responsibilities require them to weigh her perspective against a number of other factors? I don't think it takes too much imagination even for a 70-year-old man to understand how this could be traumatic for a 13-year-old girl. And in the end, it looks like most of them did understand, so I don't put a lot of stock in Ginsburg's assessment of her colleagues.
It sounds like the judges went back and forth on this case, and I hate to sound cynical, BUT the decision did come out after nation-wide discussions on Obama's empathy pick.

Yeah, I think the pick, and the discussions around it, did affect the court's Decision.

This of course makes the Decision, right or wrong, a populous-political Decision more than a Decision based on law.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
The Supreme Court made a good decision on this one. That should never have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies