Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I found this part incredibly insulting knowing how badly they treated him on fox, the wannabe GOP headquarters. They never cut him an even break and just recently got around to giving him air time over the economy.

That really burned me up. CNN gave Paul more air time than Fox. It was pathetic seeing the party attack Paul too. Reagan would have been disgusted by the way they treated him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
I only he one to say about this.
If you voted for Ron Paul like I did we wont be talking about any of this and the united states would be free once again.
But know we had to choose between mccain and obama to of the worse people who understand the concept of limited government.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:59 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Happ Steele is dyed in the wool republican I doubt he'd jump to port of convenience ship the way keyes did, however, the independence party would treat him better.

I think it's not so much republicans rejecting steele, it's vocal minority neocons. There's a silent majority of republicans who are moderate. Some have left the party prior to election (5% last I checked), 10% voted obama and another brand who abstained from voting at all. This party cannot get back to business until it realizes what it did to itself, and the neocon agenda working overtime to shift blame away from itself is nothing short of juvenile. I think Steele sees this on a few levels but they can't handle the truth. Messengers get shot.

Bush didn't do this alone. He had a media conglomeration, lockstep republicans, and an army of think tanks making it all happen. Why did Pelosi null and void the petition to impeach? Why isn't Bush in jail? When you can answer that you'll find out which democrats were helping him make it happen.

Liberty it will not help you to believe that Ron Paul could have corrected these mistakes when he abstained from voting on the securities modernization act (where SEC was not equally modernized). FOX did him dirty for sure, but if he had a viable plan that average americans could see made sense I'm certain FOX would have been blown off. They're already ignored by the majority. He didn't do so well in primaries because he scares moderate republicans. Y'all need to see that for what it is and meet it head on. There's a point where it's really not someone else's doing and it's down to meritocracy.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Default Another wonderful post, HL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think it's not so much republicans rejecting steele, it's vocal minority neocons. There's a silent majority of republicans who are moderate. Some have left the party prior to election (5% last I checked), 10% voted obama and another brand who abstained from voting at all. This party cannot get back to business until it realizes what it did to itself, and the neocon agenda working overtime to shift blame away from itself is nothing short of juvenile. I think Steele sees this on a few levels but they can't handle the truth. Messengers get shot.
Quite so. The moderates need to stop being silent though, or make plans for a third party. That option suits the Neocons better though, so we better start talking back. The neocons make enough noise for ten Parties.

Quote:
Bush didn't do this alone. He had a media conglomeration, lockstep republicans, and an army of think tanks making it all happen. Why did Pelosi null and void the petition to impeach? Why isn't Bush in jail? When you can answer that you'll find out which democrats were helping him make it happen.
In the 1950's there was a satirical song that went around called the "I was not a Nazi Polka". The premise was how a a decade or two earlier the public was treated to newsreel footage of gigantic Nazi Rallies involving hundreds of thousands of people. Nixon's Committee to Re-elect the President used them as inspirational training films for their advance team. After the war in Germany it suddenly became hard to find anybody who had personally seen or heard of a Nazi. That's what seems to be happening with the way the Neocons are all retitling themselves from their in-your-face glory days.

Quote:
It will not help you to believe that Ron Paul could have corrected these mistakes when he abstained from voting on the securities modernization act (where SEC was not equally modernized). FOX did him dirty for sure, but if he had a viable plan that average americans could see made sense I'm certain FOX would have been blown off. They're already ignored by the majority. He didn't do so well in primaries because he scares moderate republicans. Y'all need to see that for what it is and meet it head on. There's a point where it's really not someone else's doing and it's down to meritocracy
There you have it. Ron Paul has iconic value to a segment of society similar to the Confederate Flag. Like the Confederate Flag, he's counterproductive in all other areas.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
There you have it. Ron Paul has iconic value to a segment of society similar to the Confederate Flag. Like the Confederate Flag, he's counterproductive in all other areas.

Paul was far from being counterproductive. He is the only candidate that made any sense. He was the only Republican candidate that actually understands that we need earmarks to get something back from the federal government. He actually understands that Free Trade agreements do not bring Free Trade. He actually understands why our military is so weak. He is also one of the few politicians that actually understands that money doesn't grow on trees. I've rarely seen Paul flip flop on his positions unlike every other politician in the U.S. A politican that doesn't constantly change his positions is much more productive than the rest.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:55 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Paul was far from being counterproductive. He is the only candidate that made any sense. He was the only Republican candidate that actually understands that we need earmarks to get something back from the federal government. He actually understands that Free Trade agreements do not bring Free Trade. He actually understands why our military is so weak. He is also one of the few politicians that actually understands that money doesn't grow on trees. I've rarely seen Paul flip flop on his positions unlike every other politician in the U.S. A politican that doesn't constantly change his positions is much more productive than the rest.

How many votes would you say he pulled for McCain?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
How many votes would you say he pulled for McCain?

McCain's failure can not be blamed on Paul. McCain was elected by independents, republicans, and democrats in the first primaries. That didn't sit too well with many conservatives like Limbaugh and Coulter. I remember them saying they would support Clinton over McCain. This caused McCain to market himself as a social conservative. This pissed of social conservatives and social liberals because we knew it was all a lie. He decided to pick Palin to keep the social conservatives happy but turned away many other former McCain supporters with his choice. McCain did more to hurt himself than anyone else could ever have done.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post
A. Pretend like they "voted" for Obama, Just so that they can complain about how much he let them down.
Why is voted in scare quotes? Did they not really vote for the One?

That actually "gave" me a decent "laugh"

Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

492 posts, read 962,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post

I find it sad when GOP members .........

And a sad life indeed you must have.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I'm not trying to smear the man major-- I think the reason he scares moderates is because he's suggesting radical change (which they're never comfortable with, that's their nature) but the huge disconnect happening has always been that he diagnoses a problem but the suggested courses of cure sound worse than the actual disease. Had he gone on overtime with explaining the solutions and how it might be staged out over time, I think he'd gain more ears. I've always given him consideration but he consistently comes up short in that area. I don't know if he's up for another presidential run in 2012 because the years are getting on him.

Even with these bailouts, or an alternative budget proposal... it's as if he's completely empty handed with solutions (same as the rest of the republicans, but at least he makes an effort). I'm wondering if the rest of the incumbent repubs blow him off or what?? In this moment I wish he could be assigned the screen checker for Geithner proposals prior to decisions being implemented as a fail safe. He'd be in Obama's office if it were up to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies