Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Dominance/Submission and Aggression are VERY different things.

The most aggressive dogs I've encountered are little dogs - because their owners don't take the time to socialize them properly, and are afraid of every dog.

My Pit bull tolerates dominance just fine. While play wrestling other dogs, big or small, they seem to take turns submitting. When a dog signals to her to keep away by growling, she backs off. She also tolerates breed-specific behavior, like the nipping that herding dogs do. BUT, if a dog SNAPS at her aggressively (out of fear, or anything else), she steps up and defends herself. I won't train her not to defend herself - got forbid she ever runs away, (though she would likely just go visit a neighbor or the dog park) she should at least be able to keep herself safe until she is found.

I've only seen aggression in small dogs, so anytime a small dog comes into the dog park, I immediately put my dog on-leash until I see what the small dog acts like around other dogs. As soon as I see it snap at ANY dog, we leave the park. They're aggressive 9 times out of 10. It really annoys me that WE have to leave because OTHER owners can't train or socialize their dog.
DAMN!!!! I finally agree with you about something. It must be snowing in hell or something.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Question for the pit owners and defenders. Most insurance companies don't cover your beloved little pits. Why is that?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
That was the point of my first question.I remember a few years ago there was a person mauled by a pitbull (to death)..It turned out the dog was a black lab.
There was a nationally reported story about a "pit bull" that attacked a baby - chewed its toes off.

Turns out, it was a FERRET. No kidding.

Why did it happen? Same reason they all happen: the parents were not in the room with the child and the animal.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Question for the pit owners and defenders. Most insurance companies don't cover your beloved little pits. Why is that?

My old insurance company didn't cover many large dogs, including Akitas, chows, pits, rottweilers, dobermans, German Shepards and many other breeds. I got a quote from one company that won't cover any dog above 25 lbs, regardless of breed.

My current insurance doesn't have breed specifics.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Quote:
Despite the fact that animal welfare and behavior experts all agree that there's no such thing as a bad breed, many insurers are adopting "blacklists" of dogs they refuse to cover.

The American Kennel Club believes that insurance companies should determine coverage of a dog-owning household based on the dog's deeds, not the dog's breed. If a dog is a well-behaved member of the household and the community, there is no reason to deny or cancel coverage. In fact, insurance companies should consider a dog an asset, a natural alarm system whose bark may deter intruders and prevent potential theft.
Insurance Companies' Policies on Dog
Ignorance, just like the reasons for supporting BSL.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I just wonder what kind of parent would even risk having a dog with a "bad reputation" around their children. Even if you wholeheartedly believe that it's the owner, and not the dog..why would you even take even the smallest risk (on the chance that your theory might be wrong).

I equate it to purchasing a car that is known to be recalled for catching fire or has faulty brakes..even the chance that it might happen would put me off..even if the problem was supposedly corrected, I still wouldn't chance it..I like dependability in pets
Bad reputation? This is exactly what the problem is here...remember that dude in high school who had a bad reputation but turned out to be the biggest teddy bear you ever met? Or the girl with a reputation for being stuck-up when she was actually just painfully shy? Reputations are like rumors...they get blown out of all proportion, and people believe what the TV and their peers tell them. A dog, any dog, should be with people who do not equate it to a car, a piece of property, or any other so-called possession, but with those who understand it is a living creature to be loved and respected. You will not get dependable results unless you have the time and patience to train, exercise, love and establish yourself as alpha. Whatever the breed, if you treat your dog like it is just another possession, you could very well be in for a long road of mishaps and erratic behavior. Like people, some dogs can be born or go crazy, but this does not happen for whole breeds.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
now how about you BSL supporters answering our questions?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
There was a nationally reported story about a "pit bull" that attacked a baby - chewed its toes off.

Turns out, it was a FERRET. No kidding.

Why did it happen? Same reason they all happen: the parents were not in the room with the child and the animal.
Are they gonna ban ferrets to?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Question for you: why are you getting so pissy about this subject?
I'm not familiar with your term 'pissy', is that something unique to your household or region? please elaborate.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Are they gonna ban ferrets to?
A friend of mine had 7 cats and a ferret at one point, and that ferret kept ALL those cats in-check! It was the funniest thing to see it ruling the roost that way, but then they are also part of the feline family so have the same I-am-in-charge-here mentality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies