Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How have gay-related controversies (Perez Hilton, same-sex marriage) changed your opinions about gay
They've given me a less favorable opinion of gays overall. 29 34.94%
They've given me a more favorable opinion of gays overall. 8 9.64%
The controversies haven't changed my opinions about gays, for better or for worse. 46 55.42%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM

238 posts, read 305,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but I'm just one individual. You never how what effect your words may have on others.

Also, I was only joking.
I'm joking too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
It's not that simple. Sexual orientation is a core part of who we are, and it affects a lot of how we're treated and how we treat others.

No one knows your religion unless you tell them, but we have laws against discrimination based on religion. Furthermore, people definitely choose their religion. Most people agree that we don't choose our sexual orientation.
Some people wear clothing based on their religious practices. So you would be able to discriminate against them.

Some people choose their religion - in the United States because we have freedom of religion, however in the USA Jews and Muslims by and large do not.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
That would totally screw up the whole evolution theory...Are you saying they evolved to be gay and contribute nothing useful to our race?

They should be studied and treated.
Oh, good lord.

If "contributing something useful to our race" is only composed of having babies, then you must love single parents who have as many babies as they can and then become dependent on government welfare.

You must also believe that men who are sterile and women who can't conceive are contributing nothing too.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
yes, doing it after the fact was pointless. they sounded like sore losers.

they should have mobilized before.

shwarzenegger was against the prop. they didnt use him the way they should have.

i do agree with certain tactics tho.

but when people dont like something, any little show of visibility (physical or otherwise) is more examples of "those" people acting out.

like when people complain about gays, "why do gays have to shove their sexuality in our face", when in fact all they are doing is holding hands like any caring loving couple would do.

a lot of it is perception.

Quote:
Nah, I agree with JTraik. Screaming and protesting after the passage of Prop. 8 was mostly a waste of time, in my opinion. Most of this will be resolved peacefully in the courts, and that's the way it should be. Having public temper tantrums and making people angry does nothing to further the cause.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
they might be evolutionary population control...
Or meant to play supporting roles in a family.

The research says that the more boys a women has, the greater his chances of being gay. This could be a form of population control, or it could be nature's way of providing an extra assistant to his hetero siblings who will likely have children.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

238 posts, read 305,029 times
Quote:
Oh, good lord.

If "contributing something useful to our race" is only composed of having babies, then you must love single parents who have as many babies as they can and then become dependent on government welfare.

You must also believe that men who are sterile and women who can't conceive are contributing nothing too.
Well looking at it from the point of population. I think at least replacing yourself is something people should do.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How much effort does a homosexual have to put forth in order to conceal his or her "gayness" on a daily basis? Repressing feminine tendencies if you're a guy? Repressing "masculine" tendencies if you're a female? Otherwise how would anyone know what you were if you didn't dress the part or affect an air of the opposite sex? It's all smoke and mirrors for some very confused minds.
No, people are what they are. There have always been effeminate men and masculine women. Some of them are even heterosexual.

I think you'd like gays to just go away. You may want to find a new coping strategy, because that's not going to happen.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I'm joking too
Oh, okay. Well then, yeah, I was seriously turned on by your comments.

(Not really. Again, joking. )

Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Your flirting is uncalled for. Try to be professional. I don't date hippies.
I was pointing out the irony of someone who is a homophobe calling out in a thread title, "Where Are the Black Gay Men?".

Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Some people wear clothing based on their religious practices. So you would be able to discriminate against them.
Your statement is incongruent with your previous argument. You said that gays can easily hide their sexual orientation. Religious people can easily hide who they are too by simply not wearing clothing that indicates their religion.

Quote:
Some people choose their religion - in the United States because we have freedom of religion, however in the USA Jews and Muslims by and large do not.
That has nothing to do with the point that everyone has a right to choose his or her religion, and there is still legal protection that protects them from discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies