Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Good lord, I've heard it all now I think. Folks, it's 2009, the age of the internet, remember? You're on it right now. And that means....dum dum dummmmmm...you can actually watch your precious tv shows ONLINE!!!! What a novel concept! I got rid of cable, only get one local channel, yet I'm able to go online & watch new shows, only the day after they've been aired. Holy technology!
Sorry dude, but when a new episode is pre-empted, YOU CAN'T WATCH IT ONLINE.

I have about 90 minutes a day to relax, why is it too much for me to ask that I get my one hour of comedy shows to air when they are scheduled?

I have no problem with Obama or with him informing the public, but clearly he can inform us at 7pm just as easily and it wont get in the way of Prime-Time television.

I spend 15+ hours a week giving back to this country and the community I live in and I've served this country in the Navy...if I want to watch TV for 45 minutes (thanks to my DVR), shouldn't my President respect my wishes and not interfere with one of my few sources of comedy?

All you trying to turn this into a political issue, I am not with you on that. This isn't about politics, this is about respect for the public's wishes and there are at least a few million people who were pretty angry that they didn't get to watch their favorite TV show (again) because Obama was making a speech (three hours earlier for us on the west coast) that could have been given just as easily earlier in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sorry dude, but when a new episode is pre-empted, YOU CAN'T WATCH IT ONLINE.

I have about 90 minutes a day to relax, why is it too much for me to ask that I get my one hour of comedy shows to air when they are scheduled?

I have no problem with Obama or with him informing the public, but clearly he can inform us at 7pm just as easily and it wont get in the way of Prime-Time television.

I spend 15+ hours a week giving back to this country and the community I live in and I've served this country in the Navy...if I want to watch TV for 45 minutes (thanks to my DVR), shouldn't my President respect my wishes and not interfere with one of my few sources of comedy?

All you trying to turn this into a political issue, I am not with you on that. This isn't about politics, this is about respect for the public's wishes and there are at least a few million people who were pretty angry that they didn't get to watch their favorite TV show (again) because Obama was making a speech (three hours earlier for us on the west coast) that could have been given just as easily earlier in the day.
I'm not making it into a political issue at all, I said nothing political in my post. I simply said that the shows that get aired can be watched the next day online, I do it all the time.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
People are always looking for "signs." You want a sign that our civilization is on the verge of collapse? When network television is more important than the President of the United States, this country is in deep trouble. (I didn't think it was possible to be so shallow, but C-D is a daily learning experience!)

Could also be the same when the President considers it a need to be on network TV all the time instead of doing what he should be doing.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Is this thread really about someone missing a couple sitcoms on TV?

Ha! My girlfriend would be impressed!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm not making it into a political issue at all, I said nothing political in my post. I simply said that the shows that get aired can be watched the next day online, I do it all the time.
But you can't watch these man. Pre-empted shows are delayed in broadcast by another week.

Scrubs has only 2 episodes left, and Better Off Ted is on the bubble for renewal, being pre-empted can really hurt its chances of building an audience.

Again, for you really thick skulled people who keep going "what is America coming to when someone complains about their TV show being off the air?" I have no problem with America and have done more for this country than most Americans (I volunteer in the community more than anyone I know and I served in the Navy), but when I have one hour of TV to watch over a two day period and it's pre-empted for absolutely nothing (because he really didn't tell us anything, there's not really even any threads discussing the press conference last night.

There seems to be more people upset about missing their TV programs than people who actually cared about the Press Conference.

Even the show released a satirical clip about the pre-empting...

Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM

749 posts, read 947,038 times
http://www.conservativepunk.com/media/articles/Obama_Oil_Large.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
wow, there are a LOT of misguided, media driven right wingers on this board. LOL.

Get an education. It will benefit you guys a little.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
wow, there are a LOT of misguided, media driven right wingers on this board. LOL.

Get an education. It will benefit you guys a little.
There are, but this thread was certainly not started by one. I'm hardly what you'd call a right-winger...my main activity here is arguing about legalization of drugs, my pro-gay politics, anti-religion and pro-education. Those really sound like right-wing positions.

I'm sorry, no matter how much you try to turn this political, it's not.

Tell me, what benefit was there in pre-empting our shows for that press conference? Did Obama make some announcement that just HAD to be aired at 8pm instead of 2 in the afternoon?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Seriously...do we need him to continue these ridiculous prime-time presidential addresses that pre-empt our TV shows? Can't he just hold a press conference at Noon and have the news play the highlights?

I was excited for "Better Off Ted" and the penultimate episode of "Scrubs", but instead Obama is taking the only TV shows I like on either Tuesday or Wednesday and replacing them with something I can read on Yahoo! News in about 2 minutes.

Sorry for the rant..but seriously, do we really need to have him take over Prime Time television?
What is more interesting is that the news channels are giving him all the air time he wants. They did not do this with Bush or even Clinton.

what is 0bama's thought process? "I think the American people need to see me pontificate and bloviate for twenty minutes on what has surprised or enchanted me this first 100 days."

Maybe if he had something crucially important to say, but he did not even answer the questions, he talked around them, and then went on for five minutes until people forgot what the question was. He did say he is going to spend $1.5 billion on this swine flu "to support our ability to monitor and track this virus". I wonder if we will ever see where this money actually goes for this. One and a half billion is a whole lot of taxpayer money to be tossing around..

This was just an uninformative waste of time, and hopefully he won't preempt prime time TV unless he has something truly worthy of saying.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
There are, but this thread was certainly not started by one. I'm hardly what you'd call a right-winger...my main activity here is arguing about legalization of drugs, my pro-gay politics, anti-religion and pro-education. Those really sound like right-wing positions.

I'm sorry, no matter how much you try to turn this political, it's not.

Tell me, what benefit was there in pre-empting our shows for that press conference? Did Obama make some announcement that just HAD to be aired at 8pm instead of 2 in the afternoon?
Now I"m going to stick up for my buddy Awesome.2000 and say that HE did not try to turn this thread political, that was done at least 24 hours ago, starting with post #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies