Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM

604 posts, read 750,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's not really accurate. Wherever sexual orientation laws are in place, they protect everybody. There are no laws that specifically protect only straight men. If the law doesn't prohibit it, a gay landlord could evict a straight guy from his apartment simple because he's decided that he doesn't like straight guys. Of course, this is highly unlikely, but I think it's important to be honest and accurate about this debate.

This nullifies my last post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
just a questioin. I bet no one can come up with a single right that a straight person has that a gay person does not. the marriage argument doesn't work. gays have the same rights as straight people when it comes to marriage.
Really? In how many states is it recognized? That's actually the primary thing that straights like me have that gays don't. All the rights involved. I can make legal decisions for my spouse, if she dies, and is insured, the estate would go to me. Pretty much automatically. If she was hospitalized, I have special rights of visitation that a room mate would not have.

Gays cannot even insure their partner in most states--even if they wanted to. Maybe instead of permitting them rights to marry, we should just reform probate and insurance law. And change hospital policies.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Occurrence and acceptance are two different things. Everyone sins, yet a person who commits a sin does not mean they accept it or condone it. People fall to temptation, but in no way does this mean it is accepted. If you think nobody says anything about adultery being wrong, then you are ignoring the facts to promote a concept. Also, you speak in generalized terms, allowing occurrence of an action and the acceptance of it to be represented by everyone when this is false.
Perhaps, one day, adultery will be seen as sinful to Christians as homosexuality is...even though the Bible frowns on both practices.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Really? In how many states is it recognized? That's actually the primary thing that straights like me have that gays don't. All the rights involved. I can make legal decisions for my spouse, if she dies, and is insured, the estate would go to me. Pretty much automatically. If she was hospitalized, I have special rights of visitation that a room mate would not have.

Gays cannot even insure their partner in most states--even if they wanted to. Maybe instead of permitting them rights to marry, we should just reform probate and insurance law. And change hospital policies.
That is only a civilized thing to do.

If you want to engage in a financial agreement with another person, then that is your right to do so. As to hospital policies, they make their own. but I would think if you went to your local hospital and made a prearrangement to allow a specific person visitation rights in the event you were hospitalized, they would allow for it. If they were to refuse, you could simply threaten to take your money elsewhere, or take your case to the public, and try to entice public pinion to sway the hospital's rules.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Gay people already have all the same rights as straight people, they work the same jobs, go the same schools, eat at the same restaurants, can even get elected and serve in political positions of power. Marriage does not apply to them anymore than it applies to a polygamist or incest couple. Wether you believe it or not, The term is defined by God and Nature and recognized by the Government and Man, this is the case in every culture across history. Even in cultures that encouraged homosexuality (such as ancient Rome and Greece) "Marriage" was still exclusively between Man and Woman.

Now if it's a matter of equal benefits, of course gay couples should have that equality just like married couples. Benefits are mandated by the Government only and should not be an issue, the Government cannot discriminate against people. But wanting to redefine the term Marriage to something that it never was, and never will be, is a failed effort. You can call a Dog a Cat all you want, it's still going to be a Dog .

Everyone should be treated with tolerance and respect, however this is not the real goal of Gay Activists. Their goal is really the opposite, to push their lifestyle and agenda onto everyone else and force society to bend to their whim. For example look at how they reacted when the Chic-Fil-A owner said he didn't support gay marriage? Or how they shutdown an Oregon Bakery that was owned by a devout Christian Family just because they refused to violate their deeply held beliefs and bake a cake for a lesbians wedding, or how they wanted to boycott a pasta company that wanted to keep a traditional family image, or how they sued a Church for refusing to perform a gay ceremony, or how gay teachers in California took their elementary students to a gay wedding as a class field trip. That is anything but tolerant, that is simply being a political bully. All one has to do is disagree with them and they go ape-**** and want your head on a stake! Sucks for them though because they can't be thought police, and we live in a society where EVERYONE has a right to believe what they want, even if they don't like it. Tolerance is a two way street and the gay community needs to learn this.

However all that being said, this isn't even considered an "issue" to me. It's so small that it isn't even on my radar, it's not one I'm passionate about whatsoever. I'm more concerned with the national debt, protecting my gun rights etc...you know...real issues. I don't care what very small group of people who live a different lifestyle have to say honestly, don't see why me or society has to cater to them.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
How about a consenting gay couple cannot marry? A consenting heterosexual couple can.

Women can have babies, men can't.

Maybe we should pass a Law.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Since I don't understand what you are talking about but you said something about blacks, asians and hispanics..... you can only be one thing, a dirty, hateful racist! Begone with you!
First go look up the term racist. Just mentioning race does not make a person racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies