Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let me know when CNN or CNBC mention it, you'll have a long wait.

I'm still waiting for them to acknowledge her $300+K job was eliminated when she left Chicago, probably won't hear about that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
The Obamas they're just down to earth not like those gaudy rich greedy selfish republicans ....

First Lady Michelle Obama steps out in Lanvin sneakers and they're only $540!
I'll betcha she's not wearing them while she's working in her vegetable garden

No pictures since that first day when they showed her digging the dirt with an upside down rake !

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
Hey just because the sneakers retail for $540, doesn't mean that's what she paid for them. I'm wearing "$300 jeans" but I only paid $100 for them. Who pays retail? Really, who does that?

The faux-outrage on this thread is hilarious.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Not crazy about what she did, but $525 dollar sneakers for Michelle Obama is like $25 sneakers for 95% of the US population.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Michelle Obama is not running for office and isn't a public official. She has a law degree from Harvard and could be earning as much as the President if she were in private practice.

It's just that every time this woman farts, the press gathers around and swears it smells like roses. Tired of the double standards. Let's not even start on how much she can earn on her own. Where was CNN and MSNBC when she left her $300K per year job for the White House, and then that very position was obsolete once she left? Nothing sketchy about that huh...

Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let me know when CNN or CNBC mention it, you'll have a long wait.

I'm still waiting for them to acknowledge her $300+K job was eliminated when she left Chicago, probably won't hear about that either.
You are so unenlightened.

When you're as wealthy as the Obamas', you aren't dependent on salary (even though Barack personally earns $400,000 per year as President and still earns millions per year in royalties from his books). The Obamas' are worth over $10mm - you don't think that's sufficient to purchase $500 sneakers?

Let's remember, the Obamas turned down the $100,000 allowance for re-decoration of the white house and opted to use their OWN money.

They are wealthy and can buy what they want, you silly cretin.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
No, she was totally inapproriate to wear sneakers that cost $540 to a food bank. Sorry, that is just tacky and crass and shows her lack of civil, polite upbringing. It wreaks of "girl from the hood made it rich". Note, I find nothing wrong with expensive shoes.....I've got plenty in my closet, but I wear them for business, I wear them out, etc, etc, not to a food bank!!!!! You simply don't strut around a food bank in expensive shoes, clothes, watches. When I help at my local food bank, I don't wear my Tag Heuer, I wear my 10.99 Timex.

There is a proper place for everything.

Considering the state of the economy, the fact it was a food bank, and the fact that Barry and Meeechelle have shown hate toward "established, old money" wealth, I find Meeechelle's actions tacky, cheap, crass and her action showed a lack of proper upbringing.

For those of you who agree she was in the wrong, attached is a link with a questionaire where you can vote.

Michelle Obama Wears Lanvin Sneakers - StyleList Fashion Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, so Michelle is upsetting your old-money values. You poor baby.

People at a food bank don't give a rat's a$$ about whether someone volunteering there is wearing a Timex or a Tag Heuer. The fact that you do and make a big deal of it is testament to your pettiness, judmentalism, and over inflated ego.

And sorry, but your assertion that the rich keep separate wardrobes that they select from based on whether or not they'll be with the haves or haves-not is ridiculous.
Thank You very much. Said it better than I could.

What silly azzed hypocrisy, "oh, I'm going around the poor people, guess I better get "hoody" and dress down to their level"!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Another problem. It HASN'T hit the main stream media, yet every penny spent on clothing by other women during the campaign was regularly announced.

Looks like the tart Meeechelle still is getting a pass. This REALLY has turned into an "affirmative action" presidency.
What are you talking about????

I don't remember anyone complaining about Cindy McCain spending money. She's rich! The McCains have so many houses, even McCain couldn't remember all of them. However, I do remember reading about the cost of a few of her very expensive outfits, but I also read about Michelle's clothes as well. In fact, almost everything Michelle has worn has been in the news.

People seem to forget that she never ran for office. The controversy about Palin was that she didn't pay for them. Also, you have a very bad memory. It was the Republicans who called the Palins "Hillbilly's looting Nieman Marcus."
(unless you think Democrats were working as McCain's aides.)

Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYULIB View Post
You are so unenlightened.

When you're as wealthy as the Obamas', you aren't dependent on salary (even though Barack personally earns $400,000 per year as President and still earns millions per year in royalties from his books). The Obamas' are worth over $10mm - you don't think that's sufficient to purchase $500 sneakers?

Let's remember, the Obamas turned down the $100,000 allowance for re-decoration of the white house and opted to use their OWN money.

They are wealthy and can buy what they want, you silly cretin.
Who said they couldn't afford it? When you are provided all of the favors the Obama's have received, such as the "made up job" for Michelle after Obama was elected Senator, or their sweetheart mortgage deal on their home, or their deep discount land purchase from Rezko, you can afford quite a bit.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Hmmm, let's see if all the lefty critics of Sarah Palin's eyeglasses come out and say anything about the first ladies shoes I'm guessing this gets buried, unlike the media circus that was, when Palin's wardrobe was at the forefront of her campaign.

oh my gawdd lol. see lame ass sarah palin was spending RNC money not her own is this all u conservatives can do?

Michelles money vs RNC money sarah palin used, i swear republicans stay losing, think for once lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies