Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

I'm a little disappointed that they have stopped (I have not heard about one where I live), since Obama was sworn in. I know what he plans to do about Iraq, however, I still think and wish they were out there. Stuff like permanent bases and the amount of money Obama was asked for war funding, has me a little disappointed. If the demonstrations were still going on, maybe it would allow Obama not to get to complacent.
It also makes us a look a little better in this sense: Some on the right are now giving us flack for no longer having anti war demonstrations, since Obama took office (ex: war is ok with the libs since Obama got in, but it wasn't ok when Bush was in)
I like Obama, but remember that Nixon said that he would end the Vietnam War when he got elected? It really didn't end until he resigned, 5 years after he got elected.
Obama has more class (IMO) than Nixon, but who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
You can no longer call yourself liberal if you rally against Obama's policies, no matter how ridiculous they may seem.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
I'm a lefty, but not so much a Democrat. I agree with you. The protests should continue.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
No, that ship has sailed. The time for marches was in the beginning - when congress could have responded. They didn't. Now it's a whole different situation that, IMO, anti-war protests won't change or help. My guess is that we'll slowly extract and leave a sort of shadow force behind near the embassy. Also, for what it's worth, all the military men & women I know who've deployed to Iraq absolutely hated the protests - whether they thought we should be there or not. Those protests damaged their morale more than anything else happening over here and more than a lot of crap that happened over there.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Well, the entire anti-war movement virtually collapsed after January 20th.. There are only a handful of groups that are still active, but there are no plans for future demonstrations (that I know of). I read something this morning about Code Pink losing half their membership over the past few months. And with all branches of the military cutting back on new recruits, there is not much issue there either..

Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You can no longer call yourself liberal if you rally against Obama's policies, no matter how ridiculous they may seem.
Why would you say something this stupid?
People who think like this are ususally ones who supported Bush, 100% of the time, even with stuff like Katrina, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
People who think like this are ususally ones who supported Bush, 100% of the time, even with stuff like Katrina, etc.
What is so ridiculous about what Viewfromthe Peak said? It appears to me that if you are very liberal you would have to agree with anything the most liberal Senator we had or you aren't very liberal.

I never went with everything Bush did but you wouldn't have thought so. Get behind your man and agree with him all the way. i never will so we have something to argue about.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yeah, but now that some liberals would like to protest the war that Obama is continuing, they risk not being able to call themselves liberals anymore. Peer pressure is likely inhibiting these hippie poseurs. But they make a great apologist argument that Obama will slowly pull out. They have more faith in Obama doing this than the most ardent evangelical on the return of Christ.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
That doesn't make sense. A more hardened left-wing (I'm using a broad label) view could say that Obama's policies don't go far enough.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
That doesn't make sense. A more hardened left-wing (I'm using a broad label) view could say that Obama's policies don't go far enough.
But they don't risk protesting and upsetting their man.

Notice the lack of protesters marching for the end of both wars, even though it's continuing along its merry way in Iraq + escalating in Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies