Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

79 posts, read 96,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why was he teaching that lesson? This was European History, not American History, not Civics. European History.
It doesn't matter what they were doing on the topic. I don't recall it being against the law to get off topic. He did not misinform the students, he was teaching about an event and his comments were in that context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well, it seems to me, they've just been instructed.
Next.
The judge is not the teacher's employer, in case you weren't aware, so the teacher can completely ignore his erroneous ruling and say whatever he pleases.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Given that a large number of Americans believe in creationism (possibly just as many as those who believe in evolution), I don't have a problem with it as long as it is taught objectively in addition to evolution.
Scientific fact is not determined by popular vote!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Unless instructed otherwise by their employer, a teacher can say anything they want. They are not "agents" of anything, they do not establish government policy, nor do they espouse government policy. It is no different that a government clerk or government intern stating their opinion. They can "spew" whatever they please on the job, unless instructed otherwise by their employer.

That is not true.

Teachers cannot say anything they want.

Teachers have a lot of leeway, but regardless of how the school board feels about it or how the school administration feels about it, they cannot just say anything they want. That's why we have students suing teachers in the court system. Because there are restrictions on free speech in the classroom, and because those restrictions have to be further defined by the courts at times.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Unless instructed otherwise by their employer, a teacher can say anything they want. They are not "agents" of anything, they do not establish government policy, nor do they espouse government policy. It is no different that a government clerk or government intern stating their opinion. They can "spew" whatever they please on the job, unless instructed otherwise by their employer.
Just curious, are you a judge or constitutional scholar?

It seems the judge in this case disagrees with you wholeheartedly. I tend to lean more on his legal argument than I do yours.

I'm not sure why you keep injecting "employer" into the situation, as if employers are the gateway to free- or suppressed-speech.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Justice has been served. God bless the judge for being fair and righteous with his understanding of the law, something the teacher obviously was ignorant of.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM

79 posts, read 96,327 times
Quote:
He incorporated his remarks into a lecture on European History. Please explain why the teacher felt it necessary to address this legal decision in the context of European History.
It doesn't matter. It's not illegal to talk about american history in a european history class. Perhaps it was related to a decision in europe. The point is it doesn't matter why the class was talking about it. It's not like the teacher walked into class and said 'ok guys I'm going to teach a class on why christianity is wrong.' The student was overly sensitive and would never have complained if the teacher had made comments about any other creation story being nonsense.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
That is not true.

Teachers cannot say anything they want.

Teachers have a lot of leeway, but regardless of how the school board feels about it or how the school administration feels about it, they cannot just say anything they want. That's why we have students suing teachers in the court system. Because there are restrictions on free speech in the classroom, and because those restrictions have to be further defined by the courts at times.
Actually, they can say anything they want, unless they are instructed otherwise by their employer. The government has the right to restrict speech of their employees while they are on the job, but if they are not instructed as to which forms of speech or which topics are prohibited, they can say whatever they please.

If there is no written policy regarding what can or cannot be said on the subject of Creationism, a teacher can say anything they want. I read nothing to indicate that such a policy existed.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If parents want their child to learn about Creationism (which IS religious mumbo jumbo) then they can enroll their children in a religious school. There are about a million of them out there.

I'd be pretty pissed if my kid was taught creationism outside of a religion or philosophy class. It's NOT science no matter what spin you put on it.
So I guess you would'nt have an issue if your family's beliefs were attacked by a teacher while in school?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithAllDueRespect View Post
It doesn't matter. It's not illegal to talk about american history in a european history class. Perhaps it was related to a decision in europe. The point is it doesn't matter why the class was talking about it. It's not like the teacher walked into class and said 'ok guys I'm going to teach a class on why christianity is wrong.' The student was overly sensitive and would never have complained if the teacher had made comments about any other creation story being nonsense.
Unless creationism is now being construed as being propogated in Europe, why was creationism being discussed anyway? We'll never know that answer, but the fact still remains that a judge interpreted the Constitution as he saw legally admissable, and this teacher lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies