Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Joe the Plumber, aka Samuel Wurzelbacher, sat down for an lengthy interview with Christianity Today to discuss his views on the future of the Republican party. Wurzelbacher took the opportunity to speak out against gay marriage, which he says is wrong. The unlikely conservative spokesman went so far as to say he doesn't allow openly gay people "anywhere near" his children.
The word "*****," Wurzelbacher noted, "means strange and unusual."

Joe The Plumber Slurs Gay People: I Would Never Let "*****s" Near My Children

He's Baaaaaaaaaaack
We can only hope and pray that he will really run for national office as a Republican in 2010...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,717,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Actually I am avery outgoing bear hugger, I have male friends who I love dearly and dont have a problem giving them a hug. Guess I'm just secure in my masculinity!
Well, you must be. Guess you aren't so bad after all.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Exactly. My same friend I mentioned told me a couple weeks ago that he just had his first discrimination episode. I of course asked what it was, & he told me that he was walking to his car after leaving a gay bar & a car drove by w/a girl & a guy & the girl for no reason whatsoever yelled the "f" out of her window to him. He wanted to yell something back but then was afraid they would turn around & come after him. I was sad when he told me that because A. he's my best friend & B. he did nothing to provoke it, it just came out of nowhere. I listened to his story & the rage just starting boiling, I wish I would've been there because that car definitely would've gotten a piece of my mind. And, I'm sure the cops would've been called.
Twenty years ago, I was walking with two guys to a gay bar in Atlanta when this pickup truck (with a Confederate Flag on it) came around the corner and the guys in the truck started throwing glass bottles at us. They threw them hard enough so that they were shattering against the walls. None of us were hit, but back then, we just sort of accepted that things like that would happen once in a while. We didn't even think of calling the cops or even telling anyone about it.

In fact, I can remember every time I would go out to a bar with a couple of guys, we would try to walk quickly because it always felt like it was a risky thing for two or three guys to be walking together in the direction of a gay bar.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,588,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Twenty years ago, I was walking with two guys to a gay bar in Atlanta when this pickup truck (with a Confederate Flag on it) came around the corner and the guys in the truck started throwing glass bottles at us. They threw them hard enough so that they were shattering against the walls. None of us were hit, but back then, we just sort of accepted that things like that would happen once in a while. We didn't even think of calling the cops or even telling anyone about it.

In fact, I can remember every time I would go out to a bar with a couple of guys, we would try to walk quickly because it always felt like it was risky thing for two or three guys to be walking together in the direction of a gay bar.
Isn't that sad? One of the better known gay clubs here is located DIRECTLY across from a well-known biker bar. I am seriously surprised that I don't here about major fights going on every day or at least every weekend in that area. Although, I guess I'm judging as well, bikers for the most part are decent people. But when you think about it, it is pretty ironic that there would be a biker bar across from a gay dance bar.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i don't buy the whole 'linguistic privlege' deal. either a word is acceptable, or it isn't.
Hmm. Well, you don't have to "buy it", but it does exist. If you pass by a group of black guys and hear one of them call another one "n*gger", I would highly recommend that you not walk up to them and say, "Hey, n*gger, what's up?" And if you do, don't expect a happy reaction from them.

There's a lot of nuance in language and communication. Not everything is cut and dried. It's wise to respect that.

Another example, from a different angle: I use words around my friends that I wouldn't use in front of my mother. You probably do the same. Certain words are acceptable to use in some relationships, but not in others.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Isn't that sad? One of the better known gay clubs here is located DIRECTLY across from a well-known biker bar. I am seriously surprised that I don't here about major fights going on every day or at least every weekend in that area. Although, I guess I'm judging as well, bikers for the most part are decent people. But when you think about it, it is pretty ironic that there would be a biker bar across from a gay dance bar.
I think a lot of bikers are cool about things, actually. They just don't want you to mess with them. I think they usually have a strong "live and let live" mentality.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM

52,861 posts, read 34,721,736 times
Quote:
Hmm. Well, you don't have to "buy it", but it does exist. If you pass by a group of black guys and hear one of them call another one "n*gger", I would highly recommend that you not walk up to them and say, "Hey, n*gger, what's up?" And if you do, don't expect a happy reaction from them.

Try to have some respect for the nuances of language and communication. Not everything is cut and dried.

Another example, from a different angle: I use words around my friends that I wouldn't use in front of my mother. You probably do the same. Certain words are acceptable to use in some relationships, but not in others.
oh, i'm well aware that the phenomenon exists, i just dispute its validity.

why is it okay for you to say humminna-humminna, but it's a horrific slur if i say it-- in the same vein, why is it fine for me to say flibbity-floo, but if you say it, it's freakout time?

no one owns words.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,588,106 times
Quote:
I think a lot of bikers are cool about things, actually. They just don't want you to mess with them. I think they usually have a strong "live and let live" mentality.
One of the best times here is Harley's anniversary festival. I think it happens every 5 years & man, it is a good time. Lots of cool people, lots of money spent in the city & I get to have rides on bikes if I play my cards right!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
oh, i'm well aware that the phenomenon exists, i just dispute its validity.

why is it okay for you to say humminna-humminna, but it's a horrific slur if i say it-- in the same vein, why is it fine for me to say flibbity-floo, but if you say it, it's freakout time?

no one owns words.
No, no one owns words, but not all words are equal, and their meanings and significance can vary from one situation to another. I just prefer to not call people by names they don't appreciate. It seems disrespectful. There are so many words in the English language, I think we can avoid using the handful of words or phrases that a person might find offensive. It takes just a little bit of effort, but I think it's worth it.

Your friend,
The F*ggot

(But don't you DARE call me that word! Just kidding.)

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
One of the best times here is Harley's anniversary festival. I think it happens every 5 years & man, it is a good time. Lots of cool people, lots of money spent in the city & I get to have rides on bikes if I play my cards right!
Oh, and you can pretend you're Sarah Palin, hanging out with those "patriotic" (her word) biker guys!

You just need a dead bear chair to sit on. I'm sure you've seen clips from the interview over the last day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies