Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Regarding homosexuality:

"Just not lest ye be judged." (Matthew 7)

Hmm. I like this religious stuff. Maybe I can pick and choose the parts of the Bible that fit with my own personal beliefs and prejudices - just like real religious people do.
Perhaps you can read more than a single verse. But hey we know you don't know jack about the Bible so that'd be a waste of time anyways right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Absolutely. He's also conveniently ignoring the fact that, worldwide, 85% of HIV infections are transmitted through heterosexual sex.

He's also ignoring that, in the United States, 31% of new infections are passed through heterosexual contact.

HIV Vaccine Awareness Day - HIV Vaccine Trials Network
I'm sorry, how does that exhonerate 5-7% of the population being responsible for 71% of the new HIV cases among American males. Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
And according to one analysis, the percentage of gay men living with HIV/AIDS in the U.S. is 12%.

Box Turtle Bulletin » The Prevalence of HIV in the Gay Community

The rate is much higher in large cities, but even in San Francisco, where some of the highest HIV prevalence can be found, the percentage of gay or bisexual men living with HIV was estimated at 24.3% in 2006.

HIV/AIDS Epi-Update for San Francisco

Sadly, I think a lot of people believe that most gay men are infected with HIV. It's just not true.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
I'm sorry, how does that exhonerate 5-7% of the population being responsible for 71% of the new HIV cases among American males. Oh yeah, it doesn't.
I'm not trying to exonerate anybody. I'm just stating facts. I really don't know what your point is. Yes, as I said, unprotected anal sex between men carries a high risk of transmitting HIV. What's your conclusion - that all gay and bisexual men should be stoned to death?

You can use statistics, of course, to inflame and incite strong reactions to just about anything. Here's an equally valid statistic:

In San Francisco, it's estimated that 1.75% of gay and bisexual men are infected with HIV every year. That's very high, yes, but it's not as inflammatory as your numbers, even though your numbers are correct.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I agree, and I don't agree with changing or introducing new text books as the foundating of cirriculum.. most of what I've seen is supplimental to address issues related to the subject. In our district we have quite a few parents that have children from a previous straight relationship, and are now in a gay relationship. While I don't think it has it's place to even tackle that issue.. we just deal with what is face value.. Andrew has two mom's..
Kids like andrew have been teased in some incidents, which is not acceptable.
Also, Andrew has friends who know his family and he shares his home life with other students and even in class... the issue really is unavoidable... and in certain instances supplimental teaching of tolerance is in order, not to teach that it's right or wrong, but to properly illustrate how they are just like any other family rather than how they are different..
I realize there are some spooky literature out there that is fueled by political agenda's.. I certainly do not advocate it AT ALL.. it has no place in the schools.. but both sides of the political issue have some pretty spooky proposals on how it should be handled. Which is why my advice to you is.. don't get involved with any of that mess.. even if you side more with one or the other personally.. It can and does come to bite you in the rear end eventually... trust your gut, and keep an open mind when talking with ALL the parents of your kids.. what has always been the norm for 16 years could very well change sooner than you think..
I am not on any text book adoption commettee (sp.), and you are right we have to change with every new presidential administration. Let's just hope that they let us teachers do the right thing in our classrooms by addressing everyone's differences without making them feel bad about it.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can read more than a single verse. But hey we know you don't know jack about the Bible so that'd be a waste of time anyways right?
All your comment indicates to me is a lack of a sense of humor.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
OK, it was just a reading comprehension problem. Go it.

Someone writes about the insanely high AIDS rate among gay men and your natural response is to talk about the extremely low rate among heterosexuals many of which don't acquire the disease via sexual intercourse. What a logical counter.
Clearly you're having a comprehension problem. Did I say there was a low rate amongs heterosexuals? No, no I don't believe I did. I did however mention that derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, AIDS is found in heterosexuals as well. Interesting that you've chosen to completely ignore the part about STD's in heterosexuals as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Some people are hell-bent on blaming gay guys for everything. Yes, unprotected anal sex is a high-risk activity when it comes to transmitting AIDS. Unfortunately, some people use that fact to castigate all gay men. The numbers he cites really don't say much about the behaviors of gay men overall. They also say nothing about all of the men who DON'T get infected.

Most male/male sex encounters are oral sex encounters with no anal sex activity. I think he wants you (and everyone else) to believe that all gay men are having unprotected anal sex and transmitting HIV every time they do it.
Not only that, but he wants us to believe that every single homosexual has anal sex. My best friend just doesn't go there. Then we've got his old boss, who is the BIGGEST **** ever, I'm talking including all heterosexual sex, he's slept w/everyone I think. Yet, he doesn't have the dreaded AIDS or any other STD's. How's that for a stereotype?

PS: I just noticed reading this after I posted it, CD actually bleeps out the word s l u t. How weird is that??

Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
Quote:
It is not 71% it is 69% - gawd basic math

69 hahaha get the irony 69 woohoooooo

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to exonerate anybody. I'm just stating facts. I really don't know what your point is. Yes, as I said, unprotected anal sex between men carries a high risk of transmitting HIV. What's your conclusion - that all gay and bisexual men should be stoned to death?

You can use statistics, of course, to inflame and incite strong reactions to just about anything. Here's an equally valid statistic:

In San Francisco, it's estimated that 1.75% of gay and bisexual men are infected with HIV every year. That's very high, yes, but it's not as inflammatory as your numbers, even though your numbers are correct.
His numbers aren't correct - he can't even perform basic mathematical calculations. 69+31=100 not 71+31=100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies