Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM

355 posts, read 447,318 times

Advertisements

No homosexual marriages, no civil unions.

I do not want states using government money or resources to promote the legitimization of despicable lifestyles outside of legal one man-one woman unions. The sanctity of marriage should never be watered down or taken away from heterosexual couples that wish to join in a union and start a family. That is what marriage is all about.

Those people that shout and scream about how people's private lives will not affect anybody else in society are wrong! Whenever an immoral act is legitimized or legalized it soon leads to the further crumbling of society's moral base. This is what has been happening ever since we made abortion legal, since we become more tolerant of open sexuality, since certain places decriminalized marijuana usage, since movies and TV have allowed bad language, explicit sex, and graphic violence. Legitimizing homosexual activity will lead to further demoralizing of certain things which we currently hold as morally wrong or criminal. Soon NAMBLA will become more of an activist movement and the pedophiles will want their so-called right to have sexual relations with children of both genders.

Think about it. The possibilities are endless for the so-called progressives.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It seems to me the reason heterosexual marriage is government sanctioned is not for civil rights reasons, but because it financially benefits our country. Heterosexual people can procreate and the result is population growth which results in growth in industry and economy. Homosexual marriage presents none of those benefits.
There are other reasons to support marriage besides having babies. I don't understand the obsession that some people have with producing babies.

Lots of heterosexuals get married without having any plans to procreate.

Long-term, stable relationships are seen as a good thing by most people. This is a big reason why I think it's good for the government to sanction same-sex unions in some form.

The government makes money off of marriage licenses. Offering licenses (marriage or otherwise) to same-sex couples absolutely increases revenue.

Did you know that 1/4 of all same-sex couples in California are raising children? That amounts to approximately 52,000 children in California.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/CA%20Snapshot%202008.pdf (broken link) (see page 2)

If you're really worried about revenue, read the article linked below. It was written by a Republican political consultant last year after California legalized same-sex marriage. Of course, now the state will lose the opportunity to make millions of dollars thanks to Prop. 8.

Same Sex Marriage – An Economic Windfall for California | Fox & Hounds Daily (http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/blog/matt-klink/same-sex-marriage-%E2%80%93-an-economic-windfall-california - broken link)

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Aaron, what got you thinking about this? I remember you saying something a few months ago about gays. You were worried that they were taking over your school system - or something like that.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Aaron, what got you thinking about this? I remember you saying something a few months ago about gays. You were worried that they were taking over your school system - or something like that.

I was probably trolling.

I have a lot of gay friends and no I do not accept their lifestyle and I think it is a little gross but I have recognized the fact that there is a large portion of homosexuals in every society on Earth. I'd say roughly one out of every 30 people at least is a homosexual. To me that warrants the case that homosexuality is something most people are born with, and then activated around puberty or younger.

For this reason I think it is important for people to recognize that they will never go away, and that they should be treated on some equal footing.

I also hear of a lot of homosexuals who are against gay marriage but pro civil union.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I was probably trolling.

I have a lot of gay friends and no I do not accept their lifestyle and I think it is a little gross but I have recognized the fact that there is a large portion of homosexuals in every society on Earth. I'd say roughly one out of every 30 people at least is a homosexual. To me that warrants the case that homosexuality is something most people are born with, and then activated around puberty or younger.

For this reason I think it is important for people to recognize that they will never go away, and that they should be treated on some equal footing.

I also hear of a lot of homosexuals who are against gay marriage but pro civil union.
Thanks for the feedback.

You were trolling - meaning what - that you were saying things just to make homos like me angry?

If you're hetero, it's natural for you to think that gay sex is gross, but it's interesting that you say you know it exists and isn't going away while at the same time you say you don't accept it. It sounds like you do accept it; you just don't like to think about it - and again, I recognize that that's totally normal, by the way. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm trying to "force" anyone into liking gay sex. (and a shout out to FormerCaliforniaGirl! - inside joke. )

Good guess on your "1 in 30" estimate. It's more like 1 in 25. A report from The Williams Institute at UCLA says that approximately 4.1% of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. This amounts to about 8.8 million Americans. You have to figure that there's lots more than that, however, since many people won't call themselves gay or bi even if they've had same-sex encounters.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/SameSexCouplesandGLBpopACS.pdf (broken link) (page 5)

Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You claim to support equality but at the same time give a royal "*********" to all religious people? have you ever considered the fact you are intollerant? Tolerance is more than Christians tolerating gays, it is atheists and agnostics tolerating religion as well. I am a Christian and I will never say gays should not be together (and I do hang out with gay friends on a regular basis). I just wish people who are not Christians could show the same tolerance for my religious beliefs.
Oh please. Spare me. Really.

How the hell am I intolerant of religious people? Do I care if you go to Church? No. Do I care if you believe in the Bible? No. Do I care that you all think you are right? No. Do you think I really give a damn when you all stand out and cry about keeping Christ in Christmas? NO! You guys do whatever the hell you want. Just dont you dare try to take away another peoples rights based on your BELIEF. Thats right. BELIEF.

Religion is not a FACT. It is a BELIEF. You dont know if it is real or not. No matter what you might THINK (not know), you cannot prove it is real. If you could, trust me. The whole world would be believers. Who would not be if they knew it was a fact and the big guy upstairs loves you?

And you say you wish people would show tolerance for your BELIEFS? Tell your fellow Christians to stop damning every other religion then. Stop damning people of others faiths to hell because they dont believe in yours. Do you do that? I doubt it for it for some reason. The Golden Rule-treat others the way you want to be treated. You all have no problem dishing it out but cannot take it when it is thrown back.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM

492 posts, read 962,258 times
I'm pro civil union between any two consenting adults. I see marraige as a church function and thereby oppose marraige anywhere.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,936 times
Why should homosexuals be limited to some of the rights that heterosexuals have?? Other than sexual orientation, they are no different.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why should homosexuals be limited to some of the rights that heterosexuals have?? Other than sexual orientation, they are no different.
Yeah, but I would argue that sexual orientation profoundly affects a lot of different aspects of one's life - particularly when one is gay.

I've not used the line, "we're just like everybody else", for close to 20 years. In my opinion, it's simply not true. There are significant differences in how an average gay guy experiences the world versus an average straight guy.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Unfortunately, many of the bans on same-sex marriage include language that would ban civil unions too.

Here's the language from Florida's constitutional amendment which was passed in November:
“Inasmuch as marriage is the legal union of only one man and one woman as husband and wife, no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized."

Thanks to that amendment, civil unions aren't even a possibility in Florida now.

It's all pretty sinister. The people who organize these bans promote them as a "ban on gay marriage". Of course, that gets everybody all excited and most people have no problem voting for a ban on same-sex marriage. What the organizers don't tell you is that many of these amendments also ban civil unions, domestic partnerships, and all other forms of unions that could be considered "equivalent" to marriage. Nice, huh?

So, if you live in a state where you voted to ban same-sex marriage, congratulations. You not only banned gay marriage, you may have also banned civil unions.

Here's a map that shows where each state stands currently on same-sex marriage. All of the states shaded red have banned same-sex marriage and civil unions:

File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 05-09-2009 at 02:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies