Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,336,374 times

Advertisements

With your gun, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
With your gun, of course.
Still with the ideological assumptions...

Responsible citizens understand that the permanence of killing should make it a very last resort. I won't even point a gun at something until not firing would result in my potential murder.

Have fun on your naive, self-righteous cloud. Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy being prepared for reality.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I once gave money to some truthful "beggars" and followed them to see if they lied to me. It was on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and they told half truth. They said could I give some junkies money for beans. Surely they were junkies and college students as they said. However, in watching them we found that they did, as we suspected, look up a pusher and buy some illegal substances. Many students tell you some truth and if you are dumb enough to play with them they forget what they said they would use it for.
What is the definition of the word GIVE?

You didn't "give" anyone anything. You loaned it to them with conditions attached. You wanted to maintain control of "your" money and the people you "loaned" it to......therefore you actually FOLLOWED them in order to maintain your "attachement" to the money. You needed to justify not helping people in the future with your story of what the "beggars" did with YOUR money. Btw, did you actually see a drug transaction? Did you report it to the police?

Don't ever GIVE anything to anyone until you learn what the world GIVE means, and you can let go of your attachment to your money at the moment you GIVE it to someone else. I suspect the people in N.O. did not sign a promissory note when you "gave" them money, however, in your stingy, attached way of thinking you just could not let go of the money and had to follow those people.

Look it up. GIVE. Then look up the word attachment.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I always do, if I can.
Two trains of thought on this.
1) "Whatsoever you do unto the least of those among you"....you know the rest

2) I'd like to treat someone the way I'd like to have someone I love treated, if they found themselves in a similar, difficult situation.
On this one, you and I agree completely.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
If you are going to give money, just do it under the assumption you are helping someone and think no more of it. If I see someone on the street at a corner, I will definitely give in the hopes they can somehow use the money to get a meal. If Im wrong, oh well, Im a sucker. I still have a pretty good life to go to. If Im helping them, then I did what I thought I was doing and Im glad to have helped someone out.
No, you're not a sucker. When someone "gives" the important thing is your motive for giving. Not what the person receiving the money does with it. Key word is GIVE. Once you "give" money to someone else, it is no long yours and what they do with the money is their business and their karma.

The lesson in giving is non-attachment and compassion. So many people think that when they "give" money to people on the street that if the money is not used for food, that they have been suckered. Not true. YOUR MOTIVE for giving is what makes a difference in the world in which we live.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM

773 posts, read 1,217,301 times
In accordance to any transaction or trade, a homeless person has to give me something in order to receive money. An example, dancing for dollars, or playing a joke like going up to people at Wendy's drive throughs and pretending to be their best bud. Coincidence?
My motto is if you want some change, at the very least entertain me and sing for your supper.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
In accordance to any transaction or trade, a homeless person has to give me something in order to receive money. An example, dancing for dollars, or playing a joke like going up to people at Wendy's drive throughs and pretending to be their best bud. Coincidence?
My motto is if you want some change, at the very least entertain me and sing for your supper.
Well, then, of course, you NEVER GIVE any money or anything else to homeless people. You PAY them for services. That's a different topic, you know.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,960,091 times
The place i've been to with the most aggressive beggars is San Francisco.. I find they actually will come up to you and detail their life story and all the wrongs that have occured in their life.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
The place i've been to with the most aggressive beggars is San Francisco.. I find they actually will come up to you and detail their life story and all the wrongs that have occured in their life.
Maybe that's just a "human" thing.......to want acknowledgement that you still exist and that you're still a human being.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 PM

492 posts, read 963,697 times
do you give money to poor street people when they ask??

I give them food and clothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies