Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:13 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,253,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i'm just wondering i gave some guy at the wendys drive thru a dollar one day... and another night i was at the same wendys and the guy came up behind me and slaped me on my shoulder and said whats up buddy!! and i almost went thru the roof of my truck.. it scarred the crap outa me it was so unexpected...and now every time the guy sees me he bugs me for money..i do not give them money anymore.
Never to seemingly able-bodied men... yes to women, especially with children, and the disabled... and when I lived in NY, when it was bitterly cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,307,528 times
I live in Florida now and I haven't seen homeless people around here. But another good thing to carry is those dollar store rain ponchos. If it is raining and they get wet, they would be walking around in soaking wet clothes for days.

It really makes me sick that we don't do more for these people. I personally think they (cops) should arrest everyone they see. Bring them in, evaluate each one and get them the help they need. Medical care, psych treatment, rehab, housing, jobs, food, etc. I really don't care why they are on the street...that is not my business. My business is to help them get off the streets and get them help. I really have no ego with homeless. No judging.

Just keep that in mind the next time you see one with a sign saying "will work for food". So what if it's a scam and they rip you off $5, but what if it's not and that person is really hungry? Have you ever known what it feels like to not have food? Or to have a head ache and you have no tylenol?

Open your wallet and hand them $5 and then thank God for what you have!

Never be so proud that you think it couldn't happen to you. There are PhD's on the street! It could happen to any of us.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

Never be so proud that you think it couldn't happen to you. There are PhD's on the street! It could happen to any of us.
This is a good point. We don't have a lot of homeless right here, but often see homeless people in Colorado Springs, for some reason. We'll buy them a sandwich or something. It's the least we can do.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,302,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I couldnt if I wanted.. I tend to not carry cash anymore..
Same here....I use my debit card for pretty much everything these days. I only withdraw cash if I absolutely have to.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:05 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,302,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I live in Florida now and I haven't seen homeless people around here. But another good thing to carry is those dollar store rain ponchos. If it is raining and they get wet, they would be walking around in soaking wet clothes for days.

It really makes me sick that we don't do more for these people. I personally think they (cops) should arrest everyone they see. Bring them in, evaluate each one and get them the help they need. Medical care, psych treatment, rehab, housing, jobs, food, etc. I really don't care why they are on the street...that is not my business. My business is to help them get off the streets and get them help. I really have no ego with homeless. No judging.

Just keep that in mind the next time you see one with a sign saying "will work for food". So what if it's a scam and they rip you off $5, but what if it's not and that person is really hungry? Have you ever known what it feels like to not have food? Or to have a head ache and you have no tylenol?

Great post.

You have to bear in mind that these people aren't losers. Many are genuinely mentally ill, some are war veterans, others have just ended up that way through a run of bad luck, which could happen to so many of us, especially during these harsh times.

It is either very hard, or virtually impossible for many of these people to find work. What employer is going to hire someone with no fixed address and someone who hasn't been able to take a bath/shower in god knows how long? It is so easy for people to tell the homeless to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but in practice, that is often impossible.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't often carry cash though, but if I see a homeless person begging, I'll usually cough up, because $5 is a small price to pay for giving someone a meal for the day.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,729,699 times
A couple of weeks ago, myself, Mrs. Sonrise and Baby Sonrise went to Salsaritas for lunch after church. As we were walking out some guy asked me for money. I told him, I don't give out money, because it's been my experience that more often then not, it's been used for drugs and/or alcohol. I told him that if he was hungry I would buy him something to eat, since no one should go hungry. Surprisingly, he took me up on the offer. We went in together and he ordered his meal but then ordered extra stuff and tried to get a drink as well, when I told the girl no, He's like, "Oh, I can't have anything to drink?" and I said "Sure, water." I felt a little taken advantage of, but I'm glad that a hungry man was able to eat and he was very appreciative. So to answer the op; never money, always food.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Great post.

You have to bear in mind that these people aren't losers. Many are genuinely mentally ill, some are war veterans, others have just ended up that way through a run of bad luck, which could happen to so many of us, especially during these harsh times.

It is either very hard, or virtually impossible for many of these people to find work. What employer is going to hire someone with no fixed address and someone who hasn't been able to take a bath/shower in god knows how long? It is so easy for people to tell the homeless to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but in practice, that is often impossible.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't often carry cash though, but if I see a homeless person begging, I'll usually cough up, because $5 is a small price to pay for giving someone a meal for the day.
True, I usually don't have much cash on hand but I started to carry money for that reason.

I am sure there were times that I was taken advantage of but it's OK. I'd rather lose $5 or $10 now and then rather than turn my back on someone who is hungry.

These people all have a story. It might not be one we "approve of" but it's not up to us to judge their life. But if I can make a difference in someone's day, I take it.

I will turn my car around and go back to give the person the money. I feel like for some reason I was given the opportunity to meet that person. It's up to me how I handle it.

It's nice to see people on here that care and help out too

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,762,701 times
you would think that the government could find better uses for all the billions of dollars wasted on pork projects like bridges to nowhere.. and help the poor to have a hot meal and a roof over there heads..it makes me sick when i here about people like greedyparasiticcockroach bernie madoff scamming thousands of people out of billions of dollars to feed his ego trip!! and he will still live better in jail than the homeless will live on the streets. what a great country!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,504,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you would think that the government could find better uses for all the billions of dollars wasted on pork projects like bridges to nowhere.. and help the poor to have a hot meal and a roof over there heads..it makes me sick when i here about people like greedyparasiticcockroach bernie madoff scamming thousands of people out of billions of dollars to feed his ego trip!! and he will still live better in jail than the homeless will live on the streets. what a great country!!!
If they want a hot meal or a roof over their (not there) heads, they can get jobs and pay their own way like the rest of us.

I honestly don't have a problem with limited welfare, but this post makes it sound like we should pay for their every need semi-permanently. NO!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
A couple of weeks ago, myself, Mrs. Sonrise and Baby Sonrise went to Salsaritas for lunch after church. As we were walking out some guy asked me for money. I told him, I don't give out money, because it's been my experience that more often then not, it's been used for drugs and/or alcohol. I told him that if he was hungry I would buy him something to eat, since no one should go hungry. Surprisingly, he took me up on the offer. We went in together and he ordered his meal but then ordered extra stuff and tried to get a drink as well, when I told the girl no, He's like, "Oh, I can't have anything to drink?" and I said "Sure, water." I felt a little taken advantage of, but I'm glad that a hungry man was able to eat and he was very appreciative. So to answer the op; never money, always food.
That was kind of you. See I don't mind the $$$. YES it could be for booze, yes it could be for drugs, but it could be for food or Mortin, shoes,etc.

Once I gave a man along the highway $10. He was sitting there in the rain with a cardboard sign. I stopped, jumped out and have him $10, water and a granola bar. I left and went to the bank and then to the gas station. When I got there I saw the guy. He was buying something. When I got close enough to see what he was buying, I could see he had a small bag of dog food he was buying and band aids. Under his coat he had a little dog. When I got outside he was opening the bag and feeding the dog. He noticed me and thanked me again and said he found the dog wandering the street. He said " he was homeless so I figured we made a good team". I almost started to cry on the spot. I gave him $20 more and wished him well and went on my way.

I didn't leave him thinking " boy I sure helped him" I left him embarrassed that I was getting into a warm car and driving home. Being homeless sucks and any chance I can help, I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies