Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times

Advertisements

Lets stop allowing medical practitioners and services from using health insurance proceeds to pay for those who don't have any. This would immediately lower the cost of health insurance. Then let's fund a system of governmentally funded medical services without a cross over of any funding.

I hypothesize that this will work for everyone and we'll get a true test of whether universal healthcare will work or not. 10 year plan minimum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
I'd rather cut out entirely the HMOs and other insurance entities that add expense to the health care system without adding value.

While we're at it, let's outlaw television ads for prescription drugs, and allow Americans to freely purchase their prescription drugs in an open world market.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Lets stop allowing medical practitioners and services from using health insurance proceeds to pay for those who don't have any. This would immediately lower the cost of health insurance. Then let's fund a system of governmentally funded medical services without a cross over of any funding.

I hypothesize that this will work for everyone and we'll get a true test of whether universal healthcare will work or not. 10 year plan minimum...
Who then would buy health insurance?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 AM

It will take a complete overhaul. We must fix not only access to health care, but also torts law. We must find a way to encourage Gen X people to become physicians and other providers, open more medical schools, a less politically driven FDA, and most importantly a properly and better educated consumer.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Who then would buy health insurance?
The people who don't want to be treated like cattle as they do in Canada, Great Britain, and other socialized countries.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Unless you also have separate doctors and facilities (private and public facilities) I doubt this will affect waiting times since the same amount of people will be seeking services as now from the same number of providers.
Are you also advocating a separate set of providers or do you imagine people who can pay more will simply be seen first?
Generally, severity is the basis now.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'd rather cut out entirely the HMOs and other insurance entities that add expense to the health care system without adding value.

While we're at it, let's outlaw television ads for prescription drugs, and allow Americans to freely purchase their prescription drugs in an open world market.

eessh.. I don't know about that. The reason we can't purchase drugs from another country is because they are not FDA approved for safety and are not required to follow safety guidelines.

I say.. better.. let's do away with insurance and make actual procedures , meds etc in line with what people can actually afford to pay for them.. like realistic prices..

It will never happen.. just saying..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'll rep that.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM

I have a sincere question for everyone. Have you ever actually seen anything run by the government better than when it was not?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I have a sincere question for everyone. Have you ever actually seen anything run by the government better than when it was not?
All business has admin costs. and all business that hires people have the possiblity of graft, theft, etc. That being said. . . Medicare is a VERY WELL RUN program, serving many, efficiently, at moderate cost. My current understanding of the problems involved with our current health care system is the "for profit" status of providiers. . . putting many many millions into private hands while denying care to those who cannot afford, and in many cases, to those that are being "insured" by them. . . .
In fact, the most obvious function of current HMO's is to deny care while continuing to collect premiums (and I have this from Doctors who work or worked) for these organizations! Health care is no place for that kind of entrpenurship, and it is no place for profit! Dr's and other "direct care" providers are making less, while the CEO's built multi billion dollare homes. . . not what I would consider a good use of my health care dollars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies