Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times

Advertisements

I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....

Last edited by NEWTOSFLA; 05-11-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
Moderator cut: comment

There is no magical answer though some may try to give you some moronic explanation. Bottom line is there are dumb people all over the globe and Miami is not in short supply.

P.S.

Racism is everywhere.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-13-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: seen as racist

Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
Quote:
It is a pretty bold statement and I am always cautious with such statements.

I have lived in South Florida for 12 years and I have seen racism in action, both against blacks and Hispanics. But no more than I see it anywhere else in the States. On the other hand, racism is a side effect of ignorance and, sometimes, lack of education. Could it be that there is more ignorance in South FLorida then in most other areas and this is why you experience what you wrote?

I am from Northern Italy. Until the 70's and early 80's in the North of italy there was racism against southern Italians. It was mainly the uneducated people and those struggling to make it financially that displayed it. Over the last 30 years things have changed in Italy: not only has the South seen a huge economic improvement, but also the North has experience more education and economic wealth. Racism against southern Italians, if it has not disappeared, it is certainly so limited that I do not notice it anymore when I go back home (although it has now switched focus over certain kinds of immigration, so I am not saying Italy has resolved its racism problem.)

South Florida is a region of sharp extremes between the wealthy and the poor. I am not surprised to see more tension there, especially among those ethnicities that struggle the most with staying above the water.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of stormfront.org? David Duke? Donald Black?

Well, stormfront.org is a huge web site for white supremacists (called White Nationalists these days). The owner and operator of that site lives in West Palm Beach..........and that is the location of the web site. His name is Donald Brown. He was a high ranking member of the KKK when he was younger.

I, too, was surprised by the racism I've seen in South Florida for a long time. Then I stumbled upon stormfront.org from an article in the newspaper citing a stormfront member for threatening the life of Obama!!

Actually, Florida is considered to be a hotbed of white supremacists and hate groups.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the hispanics would not be members of white supremacist groups.........yet racism is all around us here in South Florida. "Hispanics" would not be "white enough" for David Duke and his crowd!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13

Now, I'm pretty sure that the hispanics would not be members of white supremacist groups.........yet racism is all around us here in South Florida. "Hispanics" would not be "white enough" for David Duke and his crowd!
I studied extremist groups of all sorts in college. From what I understand, the Stormfront group types have "chapters" or whatever in Latin America, including Brazil (where Southern Brazilians tend to be white as compared to Northern and Rio Brazilians). Remember, Hispanic is not a race. Argentina is technically the "whitest" country in the Western Hemisphere, and is more European in population than even Germany.

Indeed, in South Florida it is often impossible to tell a Cuban or South American from a "Gringa" unless they open their mouth or tell you their last names.

I doubt there's anything special about South Florida vis-a-vis Hispanic racism, however.

California is known for bad relations between Mexicans and Blacks. Maybe New York is different, since the majority of Hispanics there are Puerto Rican and Dominican. Dominicans, especially, have a lot of mixture with blacks.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 PM

139 posts, read 313,944 times
I use to live in Miami, and though I won't say there aren't some Cubans who are racist, I'd much rather say I've seen Cubans just show a *preference* to other Cubans, second would be other Spanish speakers, and so on. By the way, some Cubans are "black"...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
What kind of racism did you experienced?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
My wife is dark-skinned Cuban and the worst racism she's experienced is from white Cubans. I've even seen it for my own eyes....we were in the car once with a white Cuban-American co-worker of hers and he made a very racist remark. Needless to say, I stopped the car and (literally) threw him out....because I don't tolerate that BS from anyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 AM

139 posts, read 313,944 times
que?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954goon View Post
first of all, im hispanic and i speak for all of us when i say you **** with us you die. It just so happens that the large majority of the morons that **** with us happen to be black, hence me having to lay a ***** down on his back. just happens that way, aint nothin scientific to it feel me. second of all, when you come on our block remember that this aint some ****in walk in th epark, come around this hood get shot down like sin aint finna dispose of a body but when its black it gets my attention
I guess we now have some posters that write to us from either prison of the hood . This is obviously a prank as even a mentally challenged Neanderthal can write better than this excuse for a human being .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies