Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should flag burning be allowed?
Yes 34 70.83%
No 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

why is this even a topic? when is the last time we saw flag burning on TV besides the Vietnam era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
why is this even a topic? when is the last time we saw flag burning on TV besides the Vietnam era?
The thread about the Confederate flag inspired it.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM

749 posts, read 946,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Several states criminalize flag burning and the idea of an amendment to the US Constitution that officially bans flag burning has been tossed around several times.

Should people be permitted to burn flags or not?

Only a dem would think of this.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's interesting that it is illegal to produce smoke from cigarettes which others may inhale to the supposed detriment of their health, yet producing smoke from flags is a constitutionally protected act.
Many communities have "burning" regulations, and those flag burning would be ticketed for such actions, just like those burning leaves or newspapers. No place (i know of) bans you from smoking outdoors, expect on school property....

Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Only a dem would think of this.
I don't blindly follow either party.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
but to burn it to demonstrate a dislike for anything it might stand for requires me to bash the burner with a club, my fist, or whatever is handy.
Most flag burnings I've read about had to do with demonstrating against the burning of the Constitution - or to demonstrate symbolically that what it stands for has been burned.

I've found too many people who worship the flag OVER respecting the Constitution.

What kind of person would that be?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
You can't use another person's body without their consent because it causes harm to that person.

IMO, the flag itself stands for our ability to demonstrate a dislike for it. I find flag burning repugnant and a grossly unpatriotic thing to do; patriotism, however, should not be forced.
Were you around in the early 70s when many liberal hippies wore that very flag on the rear pocket of their jeans? I certainly was and never failed to take one to task when he sat down on that flag. There is flag etiquette and it is written down and burning for any other reason than destruction of a worn out flag doesn't appear in that book.

I have known ex-soldiers etc that took people to task because they didn't know how to properly fold a flag when taking it down for the night. I always had to stand up for those guys since their training failed to wear off. I just don't think that disrespecting that flag is anything that should be allowed short of deportation to any other country.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Were you around in the early 70s when many liberal hippies wore that very flag on the rear pocket of their jeans? I certainly was and never failed to take one to task when he sat down on that flag. There is flag etiquette and it is written down and burning for any other reason than destruction of a worn out flag doesn't appear in that book.

I have known ex-soldiers etc that took people to task because they didn't know how to properly fold a flag when taking it down for the night. I always had to stand up for those guys since their training failed to wear off. I just don't think that disrespecting that flag is anything that should be allowed short of deportation to any other country.
I was born in the late 70's, but I fail to see how wearing flags on the rear pockets of jeans or sitting down on those flags is relevant. "Flag etiquiette" should not be the law. The flag deserves respect, but no one should be forced to respect it.

It goes against the entire concept of patriotism to force people to respect the flag. In our country, when we don't like something, we have the right to make a statement. As long as that statement does not cause harm to other people, it's pure insanity and very hypocritical to ban it given that freedom of speech is supposedly one of the very ideals our country was founded on.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
I was born in the late 70's, but I fail to see how wearing flags on the rear pockets of jeans or sitting down on those flags is relevant. "Flag etiquiette" should not be the law. The flag deserves respect, but no one should be forced to respect it.

It goes against the entire concept of patriotism to force people to respect the flag. In our country, when we don't like something, we have the right to make a statement. As long as that statement does not cause harm to other people, it's pure insanity and very hypocritical to ban it given that freedom of speech is supposedly one of the very ideals our country was founded on.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
It is an insult to every American hero who died to save a lot of your sorry behinds and is treasonous..should be punishable by a bullet to the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies