Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,983,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
hot air... many people get their insurance through their employers and therefore do not pay very much for their premiums.

Employers do not want UHC because they know that in order to pay for it their taxes will go up. That being business tax, personal income tax, etc. There is even talk about increasing payroll tax.

What geenero doesn't tell you is that the Europeans pay a lot of taxes. Their income tax is over 40%, their gas prices are very high (like over $9.00/gallon) all because of taxes, their sales (vat) tax is much higher. I believe in Sweden there is a 25% vat tax. Income tax in Sweden is 60%. Corporate tax is higher there too. Our gas tax averages 17%. I read somewhere that many European countries have a 70% gas tax.
We pay ~$500/mo for our insurance through DH's company (couple plus 1 kid, though it doesn't really matter how many kids). The company pays ~$300/mo more. This is not on a level of *not very much*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,377,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
hot air... many people get their insurance through their employers and therefore do not pay very much for their premiums.

Employers do not want UHC because they know that in order to pay for it their taxes will go up. That being business tax, personal income tax, etc. There is even talk about increasing payroll tax.
Dead wrong.
Lots of companies are anxious to get out from under the cost of providing health care insurance to their employees. That burden is HEAVY - and growing heavier every single year. Heck, a HUGE part of GM & Chrysler's problem is the absolutely astronomical cost of providing health care to not only their current employees but also their retired ones.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the business community is anxious for government-run UHC - but it's most certainly anxious that SOMETHING is done about their heavy health insurance load.

Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
I finally looks like we will force back the big interests of the insurance companies and bloated few in the medical industry and get some type of National Health care. I also heard a great point from the Ed show, He said that Bill Clinton and Al Gore 1 year after their administration started had a foreign terrorist attack on the twin tower killing Americans, they did not resort to torture and kept us safe for 7 1/2 years. Did I say with out resorting to torture? Things seem to be moving away from letting the Christians run the show with out anyone standing up to say who is the crazy people swinging the bible through the air making US policy. Things are looking better then they have in 8 years.
Although the insurance companies have interests, not many are involved in health insurance (it's a very risky unstable product). You got it half right when you said the "bloated few in the medical industry". They're definetely bloated but, the problem is that there are a lot more than a few. In fact there are so many, the question is, how many will there be if we get national health care. Many won't accept Medicare as full payment now, UHC will be allowing even less so, what will happen to the quality if the revenue they're all operating under now gets reduced.

Clinton and Gore may not have had an attack on U.S. from terrorists but we were attacked else where in the world.....the U.S. Embassy bombings in 1998 and the U.S.S. Cole in Oct. of 2000 and they didn't do much at all about it. The action they took was to launch some cruise missles into Afghanistan after the embassy bombings but, not enough and it didn't even phase Al Qaeda.....so, when it comes to torture, who knows if they ever used it (we didn't have cell phones with cameras in them back then) but, I doubt it since other than Yousef (who is in SuperMax in CO, which is by some considered torture in itself), they didn't have any one to torture....not that I'm in favor of it though.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
About time America put their citizens FIRST and BIG Business Second.

let me know when the federal goverment actually takes its citizens 1st.

if what you say is true, then goverment would get out of the welfare business and stop taxing the people.

UHC is not needed and is not a Constitutional right.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,308,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
I finally looks like we will force back the big interests of the insurance companies and bloated few in the medical industry and get some type of National Health care. I also heard a great point from the Ed show, He said that Bill Clinton and Al Gore 1 year after their administration started had a foreign terrorist attack on the twin tower killing Americans, they did not resort to torture and kept us safe for 7 1/2 years. Did I say with out resorting to torture? Things seem to be moving away from letting the Christians run the show with out anyone standing up to say who is the crazy people swinging the bible through the air making US policy. Things are looking better then they have in 8 years.
Your out of your freaking mind! National Health care, scary thought people.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,377,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Nearly every modern nation on earth has it - and somehow they "manage to survive". Many of these nations have life expectancies longer than the US, infant mortality rates less than that of the US, and general happiness levels greater than that of the US.

Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2091rank.html

Happiness net statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Ken

Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
let me know when the federal goverment actually takes its citizens 1st.

if what you say is true, then goverment would get out of the welfare business and stop taxing the people.

UHC is not needed and is not a Constitutional right.
Is Dying or Going Bankrupt because you cannot afford Health Insurance a constitutional right???????

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Exactly what experience do you have of a UHC to make such a sweping statement?
I spoke to my cousin's girlfriend today who has just got back from the USA and while there had to go into Hospital with a Kidney infection..The bill was $5,000 and she said it was awful as no one seemed to know what they were doing. Great recomendation for Private run Health schemes...Not! You would have thought that someone who is subjected to that wicked UHC system would have been in "heaven" in the so called Eutopia of America's finest.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,433,340 times
Quote:
Is Dying or Going Bankrupt because you cannot afford Health Insurance a constitutional right???????
In the US, people with insurance die because they were denied treatment. People with insurance go bankrupt trying to pay medical bills.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,186,742 times
Quote:
As it stands the Fat Cats have the Govt eating out of their hands because, quite simply, Big Companies run America.
Obama stood for change in Washington and was given a clear mandate by the American people to enact change.
A UHC would be a huge step towards putting control in the hands of the people and taking it away from the obscene CEO's with their massive bonuses etc. If a Govt is not handling the Health, school or economy of the country properly, they can be voted out. If a CEO destroys a company he gets a multi million dollar payout...... Big Difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Here's what Obama said:

"So here's what I would do. If you've got health care already, and probably the majority of you do, then you can keep your plan if you are satisfied with it. You can keep your choice of doctor. We're going to work with your employer to lower the cost of your premiums by up to $2,500 a year."

"f you don't have health insurance, you're going to be able to buy the same kind of insurance that Sen. McCain and I enjoy as federal employees. Because there's a huge pool, we can drop the costs. And nobody will be excluded for pre-existing conditions, which is a huge problem."

Transcript of second McCain, Obama debate - CNN.com

Ken

Great posts but you have to realize reform of the healthcare system is being fought tooth and nail by these billionaire execs and their loyal, slavering herd of sheep who worship them.....people who LIKE paying exhorbitant insurance premiums and LOVE having the insurance company decide their treatment.......and don't give a damn if their fellow Americans can't afford the same worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies