Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
So why does he want to take other peoples success away from them?
it is awfully ironic if your story is accurate?
How does he want to take other people's success away from them, by raising taxes 4.9% on the top 5% of household incomes ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
When he speaks about the wealthy lifestyle as if it is some evil way of life.
He makes it sound like striving for wealth and success is wrong. That is my interpretation and many astute Americans would agree.

Strange...

To me, his remarks were more along the line of there's more to life than the ratrace to own more than your neighbors.

Different strokes and all that.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How does he want to take other people's success away from them, by raising taxes 4.9% on the top 5% of household incomes ?
Yes. But mostly it is a mentality. It seems that is always the answer for a Government that cannot control its own finances. They just go to the American civilians to pay for the problems they caused. Anyone notice that lately?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Strange...

To me, his remarks were more along the line of there's more to life than the ratrace to own more than your neighbors.

Different strokes and all that.
hey you said it. and I am not a person who is looking for the rat race. But that is how I interpret his speech.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Yes. But mostly it is a mentality. It seems that is always the answer for a Government that cannot control its own finances. They just go to the American civilians to pay for the problems they caused. Anyone notice that lately?
Are you saying you think the Obama Admin was responsible for the financial crisis, the education crisis, the infrastructure crisis....?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
continued -
In contrast, the leaders we revere, the businesses and institutions that last -- they are not generally the result of a narrow pursuit of popularity or personal advancement, but of devotion to some bigger purpose -- the preservation of the Union or the determination to lift a country out of a depression; the creation of a quality product, a commitment to your customers, your workers, your shareholders and your community. A commitment to make sure that an institution like ASU is inclusive and diverse and giving opportunity to all. That's a hallmark of real success. (Applause.)

That other stuff -- that other stuff, the trappings of success may be a byproduct of this larger mission, but it can't be the central thing. Just ask Bernie Madoff. That's the first problem with the old attitude.
This cant really be that hard to understand.
Oh, it's not hard to understand at all... but when you are a partisan hack, your job is to distort to the point of absurdity.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
hey you said it. and I am not a person who is looking for the rat race. But that is how I interpret his speech.
You mean the President is making a commencement speech targeted at society at large and presented to new grads and not you as an individual? Well I'll be!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Are you saying you think the Obama Admin was responsible for the financial crisis, the education crisis, the infrastructure crisis....?
Holy Batman delusianne, I just noticed your post count!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Not only his administration. They refers to all those in Washington now , in the recent past, and probably in the future.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You mean the President is making a commencement speech targeted at society at large and presented to new grads and not you as an individual? Well I'll be!
No, he is targeting other individuals that are ahead of me in wealth accumulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies