Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under which circumstances should abortion be legal, if at all?
Legal under any circumstances 47 39.83%
Legal under most circumstances 35 29.66%
Legal only in a few circumstances 27 22.88%
Illegal in all circumstances 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, but pro-life lawmakers do have the Constitutional ability to restrict/impose requirements on abortion. Even though I have my opinion, I strongly believe that balance is a good thing.
They may not impose an undue burden. Right-to-lifers are about imposing every burden that they possibly can. By doing so, they hope to delay, and if possible deter, every abortion attempted anywhere in the country without the slightest regard for whether that may be in the best interests of the health or well-being of the woman involved. Every delay of an abortion increases both the risk and cost of the procedure. Who cares, is all the right-to-lifers have to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They may not impose an undue burden. Right-to-lifers are about imposing every burden that they possibly can. By doing so, they hope to delay, and if possible deter, every abortion attempted anywhere in the country without the slightest regard for whether that may be in the best interests of the health or well-being of the woman involved. Every delay of an abortion increases both the risk and cost of the procedure. Who cares, is all the right-to-lifers have to say about that.
Most of the restrictions and requirements imposed have been upheld.

You still get your "choice" with the burdens and the right-to-lifers are somewhat satisfied. Working together is preferable to having either extreme side fully dictate the laws.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
To me, supporting a time limit would mean you support it being "legal under most circumstances." Perhaps the choices are a bit confusing.

As to responding to the rest of your post, you don't know me. Thus, I refuse to address your assumptions about me.
They are not assumptions...they are a result of everything you posted and you cannot deny a one of those points.

"""You ARE a misogynist if you want to control women by forcing them to have babies....if you don't want them to have control over their own health and welfare...if you don't believe they're intelligent enough to make their own decisions and you think YOU ARE!
And if it has no effect on YOUR life but want to control their's.

What can't you understand about the FACT that legal or illegal, abortions have been around since the beginning of time and will continue to be despite all your arguments and legislation.

The FACT that you want to make them illegal which will result in women suffering and even dying proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you hate women. """

Do you deny the above is true?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Some just don't want to pass on their genes no matter what.
None of these will be waiting 26 weeks to act on this firm lack of desire. Unless of course, they TRIED to act on it at 6 weeks but were met with 20 weeks worth of delaying-tactic hoops and hurdles put there by right-to-lifers.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
They are not assumptions...they are a result of everything you posted and you cannot deny a one of those points.

"""You ARE a misogynist if you want to control women by forcing them to have babies....if you don't want them to have control over their own health and welfare...if you don't believe they're intelligent enough to make their own decisions and you think YOU ARE!
I think they should be encouraged to use contraceptives, sterilization, etc. if they do not want to become pregnant. I also think they should be able to give the child up for adoption if they do not want to raise a child.

Quote:
And if it has no effect on YOUR life but want to control their's.
I believe that abortion is murder. If a law was passed stating that mothers could murder their 2 year old children, you'd likely want the laws changed. That's how I feel.

Quote:
What can't you understand about the FACT that legal or illegal, abortions have been around since the beginning of time and will continue to be despite all your arguments and legislation.
That is true, and this is the one reason why I might support keeping abortion legal in the first trimester only. Even then, I would support it being strongly discouraged.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I think they should be encouraged to use contraceptives, sterilization, etc. if they do not want to become pregnant. I also think they should be able to give the child up for adoption if they do not want to raise a child.

I believe that abortion is murder. If a law was passed stating that mothers could murder their 2 year old children, you'd likely want the laws changed. That's how I feel.

That is true, and this is the one reason why I might support keeping abortion legal in the first trimester only. Even then, I would support it being strongly discouraged.
Forgot one:

"""The FACT that you want to make them illegal which will result in women suffering and even dying proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you hate women. """

That's my opinion which has been proven true by YOU, your posts.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
None of these will be waiting 26 weeks to act on this firm lack of desire. Unless of course, they TRIED to act on it at 6 weeks but were met with 20 weeks worth of delaying-tactic hoops and hurdles put there by right-to-lifers.
Which I agree with. But no matter what, I don't see a reason why we should not leave it up to the mother whether or not she wants to be an incubator.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Very nearly all? Not all, then. It is that very vague 'not all' that I do have concern about.
An admission of arguing from the outliers? Some murders are the result of marital disputes. In the interests of preserving life, we should therefore outlaw marriage.

Why not address the actual question? Among late-term abortions, what percent would you estimate (and on what basis) are to women carrying a pregnancy that was actually UNWANTED to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
As to the 'very nearly all' that comprises of women who had been happily pregnant prior to the discovery of some kind of catastrophic fault don't disabuse yourself that they have not had those conversations with the obgyns. The conversations of what will happen if, what will it look like, can I hold it, what is recommended. They certainly would not be under duress to have a conversation that they already have had.
You argue here for the LACK of any reason for intervention. The specifics and gravity of whatever late-term situation are ALREADY DISCUSSED in great and too often painful detail. A woman, as if there actually were any, who would simply walk into a clinic at 28 weeks and say "Well, I'm really tired of this, I want an abortion." won't be getting one.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Most of the restrictions and requirements imposed have been upheld.
What's the tally? How many have been upheld versus how many have been struck down? How many have been thought of, but have never been put into legislative language because nobody could think of any way to phrase it so that it wouldn't be automatically struck down?

Quote:
You still get your "choice" with the burdens and the right-to-lifers are somewhat satisfied. Working together is preferable to having either extreme side fully dictate the laws.
Try to be at least somewhat realistic. Right-to-lifers will not be satisifed until Roe is struck down at the federal level and permissive laws in every state are also overturned and replaced with laws that impose severe punishments upon women who choose to pursue abortion anyway and upon any who might assist them. It is the right-to-lifers who are the only extremists on the stage.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Forgot one:

"""The FACT that you want to make them illegal which will result in women suffering and even dying proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you hate women. """

That's my opinion which has been proven true by YOU, your posts.
Your opinion of the entire abortion issue is different from mine and different from that of many others.

I don't hate women. You simply think I do because you see the abortion debate from one side only. Pro-lifers don't see me as hating women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies