Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under which circumstances should abortion be legal, if at all?
Legal under any circumstances 47 39.83%
Legal under most circumstances 35 29.66%
Legal only in a few circumstances 27 22.88%
Illegal in all circumstances 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That said, with later term abortions if there is a chance at viability the woman should be counseled about the enormity of what she is doing. How to do that without attempting to control her, I don't know. But knowledge is always a good thing. What do you think?
Very nearly all late-term abortions terminate WANTED pregnancies. By that time, the women involved have invested many months in the pregnancy and have gone through the bonding that occurs when carrying a wanted fetus. The last thing these women are looking for is a loss of the pregnancy. Medical personnel are in the business that they are in because of the interest and skill that they have in dealing with pregnancy, including with the rather many things that can ultimately go wrong with one. There is in short no reason at all to believe that either a shortage of information or a lack of appreciation for the gravity of the situation actually exists under these circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Neither side, regardless of its numbers, has any say at all in the matter of Constitutional rights. These are deliberately off-limits to local or any other kinds of majorities. Every woman has the Constitutional right to direct her own reproductive history. This includes the matter of whether and when to reproduce.
Yes, but pro-life lawmakers do have the Constitutional ability to restrict/impose requirements on abortion.

Even though I have my opinion, I strongly believe that balance is a good thing.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Many posters on here feel abortion should be permitted even in the third trimester regardless of circumstance. Apparently you're a misognyist if you suggest otherwise.
Many posters believe that there is no simplistic, one-size-fits-all answer to every possible problem that can arise in every possible situation. These tend to believe that crackpots and demagogues are not to be put in charge of making decisions in such personal matters, even before those matters can so much as arise. No one has more right nor more of the pertinent information necessary to appropriate decision-making than the woman involved in concert with her chosen medical and other advisors. Your capacities pale by comparison, and so do those of every religious and political leader. There is no evidence that, left to their own devices, these women and their advisors will not indeed arrive at the best possible resolution of any individual instance. Imposing baseless dogma or remote personal opinion upon such decision-making only reduces the chances that it will be done well and lead to a successful outcome.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Many posters on here feel abortion should be permitted even in the third trimester regardless of circumstance. Apparently you're a misognyist if you suggest otherwise.
Many?

Post proof of "many".

I know you won't .

You ARE a misogynist if you want to control women by forcing them to have babies....if you don't want them to have control over their own health and welfare...if you don't believe they're intelligent enough to make their own decisions and you think YOU ARE!
And if it has no effect on YOUR life but want to control their's.

What can't you understand about the FACT that legal or illegal, abortions have been around since the beginning of time and will continue to be despite all your arguments and legislation.

The FACT that you want to make them illegal which will result in women suffering and even dying proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you hate women.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
I cannot think of a single circumstance where I believe abortion should be illegal.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Many?

Post proof of "many".

I know you won't .
Look at the poll above. "Legal under any circumstance" means it should be legal at any time for any reason; that's my interpretation at least.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Look at the poll above. "Legal under any circumstance" means it should be legal at any time for any reason.
No, it said under any circumstance....that's different and I see you couldn't address the rest of my post(as usual)...you certainly can "cherry pick" with the best of them!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Look at the poll above. "Legal under any circumstance" means it should be legal at any time for any reason.
While I'd prefer once past the point of viability if they can save the child and put it up for adoption, they should, the final decision should be placed upon the mother.

Some just don't want to pass on their genes no matter what.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Very nearly all late-term abortions terminate WANTED pregnancies. By that time, the women involved have invested many months in the pregnancy and have gone through the bonding that occurs when carrying a wanted fetus. The last thing these women are looking for is a loss of the pregnancy. Medical personnel are in the business that they are in because of the interest and skill that they have in dealing with pregnancy, including with the rather many things that can ultimately go wrong with one. There is in short no reason at all to believe that either a shortage of information or a lack of appreciation for the gravity of the situation actually exists under these circumstances.
Very nearly all? Not all, then. It is that very vague 'not all' that I do have concern about.
As to the 'very nearly all' that comprises of women who had been happily pregnant prior to the discovery of some kind of catastrophic fault don't disabuse yourself that they have not had those conversations with the obgyns. The conversations of what will happen if, what will it look like, can I hold it, what is recommended. They certainly would not be under duress to have a conversation that they already have had.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, it said under any circumstance....that's different and I see you couldn't address the rest of my post(as usual)...you certainly can "cherry pick" with the best of them!
To me, supporting a time limit would mean you support it being "legal under most circumstances." Perhaps the choices are a bit confusing.

As to responding to the rest of your post, you don't know me. Thus, I refuse to address your assumptions about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies