Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
1. I am against abortion AND the death penalty
Moderate.. They sort of cancel each other out.

Quote:
2. I don't want the government telling me what I (or anyone else) can or cannot do in the bedroom
Liberal. Although, not sure why you would have this stance.. Did you consider pedophiles? We should definately pay attention to, and punish them for child molestation..

Quote:
3. I don't want the government telling me how many (legally) owned guns I (or anyone else) can have
Conservative

Quote:
4. I support gay civil unions
Moderate

Quote:
5. I am for ENFORCING current immigration laws before passing new ones (those 17,000 troops being sent to Afganistan? Send them to the US/Mexico border instead)
Conservative

Quote:
6. I am not for legalizing drug use, but I am for going after the source rather than small time users
Moderate

Quote:
7. I think the government has a responsibility for helping out its' own citizens who have fallen on hard times
Liberal

Quote:
8. I think child molesters should be put in prison for life
Conservative

Quote:
9. I do not support the US military involvement in any conflict since WWII (and maybe Grenada - yes, I've heard of it)
Pacifist.. Liberal?

Quote:
10. I support reducing our dependence on foreign oil
Moderate..

Liberal - 3
Moderate - 4
Conservative - 3

I say Libertarian.. But more importantly, what are the most important issues to you? That in itself is a more accurate assessment of your political orientation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
You tell me:

1. I am against abortion AND the death penalty*
2. I don't want the government telling me what I (or anyone else) can or cannot do in the bedroom
3. I don't want the government telling me how many (legally) owned guns I (or anyone else) can have
5. I am for ENFORCING current immigration laws before passing new ones (those 17,000 troops being sent to Afganistan? Send them to the US/Mexico border instead)
6. I am not for legalizing drug use, but I am for going after the source rather than small time users
7. I think the government has a responsibility for helping out its' own citizens who have fallen on hard times
9. I do not support the US military involvement in any conflict since WWII (and maybe Grenada - yes, I've heard of it)

I'm not trying to start a flame war - this is mostly just for kicks! I'm curious which camp I will be put into

* My caveat to this is that if someone were to put his/her hands on my children (such as a molester) I would want permission to take a ball bat to that person. Okay, maybe I wouldn't kill...
I'm going to go with INDEPENDENT.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Conflicted
Not all of us can be so enlightened as "some" around here.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM

294 posts, read 412,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrp View Post
your a gay ass pasifistyou endanger this country and the human race with your homosexuality ( or support of ) and willingness to let terrorists kill us and not kill them. either that or your one of the lefts brainwashed morrons who think irac was not a good target. well it was dumbass! all countries without freedom are breeding grounds for terrorists. terrorism is the favorite hobby of people without freedom to do anything else. i say nuke em all till they submit! and screw spending my money building there country. but i'm a dark conservitive, not like those ******* on fox. bring it!
Calm down. You want a Hash brownie or something? It will help with that rage of yours

Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
You're more of a free thinker and therefore will be targeted by the far right and the far left( you might not be able to tell them apart).

Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
You tell me:

I'm not trying to start a flame war - this is mostly just for kicks! I'm curious which camp I will be put into

* My caveat to this is that if someone were to put his/her hands on my children (such as a molester) I would want permission to take a ball bat to that person. Okay, maybe I wouldn't kill...
I'd like to know what weight you put on these issues. That would determine what "camp" somone would consider putting you in. Which issues would you go to the mat for and which ones would you "compromise" on when looking at one to represent your overall and important beliefs ? As it is now you can belong to either and anywhere in between...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
You tell me:

Constitutionalist

Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
You tell me:

Annie3 here's a simple rule of thumb to tell if you're a "conservative" under the traditional meaning (not the perverted meaning in todays society).

Do you believe in extending individual freedom to your fellow citizens by advocating for fair/just laws (legislature that treats all people equally, thus extends equal amounts of freedom to all individuals)?

Do you believe in extending individual freedom to your fellow citizen by living a live and let life-style, as long as no one is attempting to coerce, harm, or impede on your individual freedom and inaliable rights?

If your ultimate goal is to extend freedom to all citizens equally then you're a conservative. If your goal is to impose your views on citizens that are not attempting to coerce, harm, or impede on your individual freedom and inabliable rights then you are by default an authoritarian.

BTW Technically, the term "liberal" in the olden days used to refer to someone who was in modern times "conservative" or progressive. I'm not sure what today's liberal term refers to other than another form of authoritarian rule, that believes the most intelligent individuals, are the most fit to rule..etc amongst other things.

1. Authoritarian (Attempting to impose your way of life on someone else, so by default, you are attempting to limit their freedom. They currently pose no threat, to coerce, harm, or impede on your own individual freedom (therefore imposing your view on them is an act of aggression)----Yes, i know the subject is debatable based on your own preconcieved view of the creation of life (but because it is so subjective and relates to their property (body) any attempt to impose your way of life upon them would be an act of aggression)

2. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you are advoacting freedom from coercion of the masses

3. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you are advocating freedom from coercion of the masses

4. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you are advoacting freedom from coercion of the masses

5. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you are advoacting the enforcement of laws (are the laws your adovacting enforcement fair/just laws? if yes then its progressive/conservative/libertarian and you're agreeing to enforce laws against those that attempt to impede on your own individual freedom)

6. Authoritarian - (Attempting to impose your way of life on someone else, so by default, you are attempting to limit their freedom. They currently do not pose a threat and are not attempting to coerce, harm, or impede on your individual freedom) -Going after small time users does not make it more morally right. Again the concept of laws that extend freedom and laws that must be fair/just and not limit freedom. Supporting the enforcement of unfair/unjust laws, that reduce any segment of the populations freedom by default is authoritarian)- First rule to ask yourself without the law do they pose a threat to your freedom? And are they coercing, harming, or impeding on your individual freedom?).....Also their body is not your property or the property of the states (imposing your view on what they do with their property is an act of aggression)

7. Authoritarian (could be Progressive) - (Attempting to impose your way of life on someone else, through the use of collective taxes. The use of collective taxes to advantage one group over another or vice versa is wrong). These sorts of activities are best left to the individual to decide. The state (other citizens) should not decide how much charity you should give to your fellow citizen in need. It should be done out of the kindness of the individuals heart (a fair/just society in which all were treated equally would act to spur this activity of kindness without thought or coercion). You can never do good with someone else money. Especially if it was unfairly coerced through collective taxes. However, if society collectively agrees this is a good use of collective taxes, then it is not completely authoritarian

8. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you are advoacting the fair/just enforcement of laws (are the laws your adovacting to enforce fair/just laws, that equally apply to all corrupt individuals? In other words you said ALL denoting that the application of fair/just laws would apply to each person sentenced of such a henious crime. Each child molster would be sentenced to Life, so there is no room for sentencing disparities when presented before a magistrate. If yes then its progressive/conservative/libertarian and you're agreeing to enforce laws against those that attempt to impede on others individual freedom)

9. Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - you're advocating the fair/just use of national aggression. National Aggression towards another nation should never be initiated only retaliated upon. (friend to all enemy to none and we only attack when acts of aggression have been inflicted upon us)

10. Democrat/Republican - not really an issue that involves the reduction of freedom. I guess you could look at it from a reducing barriers to free-trade (if individuals want oil (foreign goods) they should have legislation that works to increase free-trade etc ------However, i think you're just making a political argument for new technology perhaps....If you said you were interested in reducing our depedency on foreign oil, by setting up trade barriers that would block domestic citizens ability to trade freely then it would be authoritarian

My Tally

6 - Progressive/Conservative/Libertarian - Issues
3 - Authoritarian
1 - Democrat/Republican issue

I'd say you have progressive/conservative/libertarian leanings, but you're flawed by your deep desire to be Authoritarian when you find issues you disagree with.

Therefore you're a MODERATE! (that could be swayed politically to either of the two parties...slightly based on what authoritarian view point of yours they support )

I'm not sure what the definition of a liberal is, but i can tell you, that your slight tendency to express authortarian views limit your ability to be considerd a conservative. If left in power you'd probably create a mix of just/fair laws that extend freedom (in things you agree with) and unjust/unfair laws that reduce individual freedom (in things you disagree with), so all the outcomes in a society, in which you govern or live, would have unjust/outcomes. Any society that is mixed between extensions of freedom and reductions of freedom will always by default have unjust/unfair outcomes.

Only a person/society that is truly 100% committed to the idea of extending freedom can create a society where the outcomes are fair/just.

Any society in which you allow your views to disadvantage one group of people by reducing freedom or give advantages to one group of people by only extending freedom to their benefit, the outcomes of the society will be unfair/unjust.

It's tough to be a true conservative!

Last edited by dorock99; 10-06-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies