Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,845 times

Advertisements

Pointing to the natural occurrence of carbon dioxide, which is exhaled by humans, conservatives in the media -- including Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Jim Quinn -- have challenged, and even ridiculed, the idea that its presence can be harmful to the environment. For example, after claiming on the May 20 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show that carbon cap-and-trade proposals are based on "the phony science of global warming," Sean Hannity stated, "You know what? The Earth -- we breathe carbon dioxide. You know, if you -- there's nothing wrong with the automobile."

Conservatives repeat inane claim that CO2 can't be a pollutant because "we breathe" it | Media Matters for America

Right wing politicians and pundits obviously depend on the invincible ignorance of a certain percentage of the population. Karl Rove had a formula which stated Republicans should support education, "...up to a point. Too much education and they'll vote Democrat."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Pointing to the natural occurrence of carbon dioxide, which is exhaled by humans, conservatives in the media -- including Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Jim Quinn -- have challenged, and even ridiculed, the idea that its presence can be harmful to the environment. For example, after claiming on the May 20 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show that carbon cap-and-trade proposals are based on "the phony science of global warming," Sean Hannity stated, "You know what? The Earth -- we breathe carbon dioxide. You know, if you -- there's nothing wrong with the automobile."

Conservatives repeat inane claim that CO2 can't be a pollutant because "we breathe" it | Media Matters for America

Right wing politicians and pundits obviously depend on the invincible ignorance of a certain percentage of the population. Karl Rove had a formula which stated Republicans should support education, "...up to a point. Too much education and they'll vote Democrat."
Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant by any stretch, or mutilation of any dictionary on earth.

It holds the same life-providing function on this planet as Oxygen.

Breath deep.

YouTube - The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Nights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I've written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can't say anymore.

'Cos I love you, yes I love you, oh how I love you.

Gazing at people, some hand in hand,
Just what I'm going through they can't understand.
Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be, you will be in the end.

And I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you.

Nights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I've written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I've always missed, with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can't say anymore.

'Cos I love you, yes I love you,
'Cos I love you, yes I love you,

Breath deep
The gathering gloom
Watch lights fade
From every room
Bedsitter people
Look back and lament
Another day's useless
Energy spent

Impassioned lovers
Wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love
And has none
New mother picks up
And suckles her son
Senior citizens
Wish they were young

Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colours
From our sight
Red is gray and
Yellow white
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an Illusion

Last edited by ergohead; 05-21-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
Dukester is definitely inhaling something

Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,984 times
yada yada yada

Global warming is a scam but we better hurry up and pass another money grabbing scheme before more people wake up and realize it's just a scam.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Conservatives should just be ignored. They are so ignorant of science that none of their arguments merit debate.

Let's start to deal with the problem and quit wasting anymore time

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
I'm sure glad the American public voted the idiot Republicans out of office last November. We can finally make some significant progress on climate change legislation.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant by any stretch, or mutilation of any dictionary on earth.

It holds the same life-providing function on this planet as Oxygen.

Breath deep.
Ok, fair enough. Let me lock you up in an airtight 8 x 10' room with just CO2 in it. Maybe I'd throw in a little oxygen in the mix but not much. The point is that too much CO2 is not a good thing.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm sure glad the American public voted the idiot Republicans out of office last November. We can finally make some significant progress on climate change legislation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Conservatives should just be ignored.
Yeah, ignore conservatives until you need the koo koo legislation paid for.

You do understand that without CO2, the trees die dont you?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Carbon DIOXIDE (CO2) is not poisonous nor does it affect the environment in a negative way.

Every breathing organism on earth expels carbon dioxide. It's carbon MONOXIDE (CO) that's poisonous.

The trees give back oxygen, the oceans help provide oxygen carried by winds across the earth.

The cycle ain't broke! So why are people trying to intervene to fix it?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Carbon DIOXIDE (CO2) is not poisonous nor does it affect the environment in a negative way.

Every breathing organism on earth expels carbon dioxide. It's carbon MONOXIDE (CO) that's poisonous.

The trees give back oxygen, the oceans help provide oxygen carried by winds across the earth.

The cycle ain't broke! So why are people trying to intervene to fix it?
But scientists are not saying that carbon dioxide is inherently harmful, as Media Matters for America has documented. Rather, they point to the danger posed to the atmosphere by excessive discharges of C02, as the Natural Resources Defense Council has noted:
[A] pollutant is a substance that causes harm when present in excessive amounts. CO2 has been in the atmosphere since life on earth began, and in the right amounts CO2 is important for making the earth hospitable for continued life. But when too much CO2 is put into the atmosphere, it becomes harmful. We have long recognized this fact for other pollutants. For example, phosphorus is a valuable fertilizer, but in excess, it can kill lakes and streams by clogging them with a blanket of algae.
Indeed, while C02 is a natural gas, the current levels in the atmosphere are the result of human activities. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, "Since the Industrial Revolution in the 1700's, human activities, such as the burning of oil, coal and gas, and deforestation, have increased CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere. In 2005, global atmospheric concentrations of CO2 were 35% higher than they were before the Industrial Revolution."

According the 2007 United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's 2007 "Synthesis Report," "Global GHG [greenhouse gas] emissions due to human activities have grown since pre-industrial times, with an increase of 70% between 1970 and 2004." It further explains, "Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the most important anthropogenic GHG. Its annual emissions have grown between 1970 and 2004 by about 80%, from 21 to 38 gigatonnes (Gt), and represented 77% of total anthropogenic GHG emissions in 2004."
/quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies