Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

When a family from Iran immigrates to the United States, that means they're being provided political asylum, right?

I'm asking because it strikes me as odd when a new family arrives from Iran.

I didn't think our country allowed immigration from that country.

I guess I'd view them more favorably if I knew the United States brought them here to protect them.

I guess this seems like an immigration question, but it's really a question about US policy regarding Iranians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When a family from Iran immigrates to the United States, that means they're being provided political asylum, right?
Not usually. Back in the 80s after the revolution there were more asylum seekers and minorities coming here from Iran. Not so much since the 90s.

Quote:
I'm asking because it strikes me as odd when a new family arrives from Iran. I didn't think our country allowed immigration from that country.
Yep we do. Are you really noticing a lot of Iranians moving into Pittsburgh? There isn't a huge Iranian population in the US period, let alone in PA. Most are in Cali, DC, and such.

Quote:
I guess I'd view them more favorably if I knew the United States brought them here to protect them.
The US wouldn't bring them here anyway. Typically, political asylum seekers would find their own way here. What is it that you find unfavorable about their entry into the US if they aren't asylum seekers? Most Iranian immigrants are highly educated, gainfully employed, contributing citizens of the US.

Quote:
I guess this seems like an immigration question, but it's really a question about US policy regarding Iranians.
There are immigrant and non-immigrant residents here from Iran. Immigrant status is usually to do with joining family who is already here or for work. Non immigrant status can include student and temporary work visas. All told they represent a small fraction - like less than 1% - of the total US immigrant population.

Not sure why no one else piped up on this before now. Hope this helps. I happen to have some insight into this issue from my circumstances living in DC.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Thank you for responding.

I remember there were many Iranians in Pittsburgh back in the 80s here in Pittsburgh. They all got sent back to Iran in a mass deportation when political issues became dicey.

Since Pittsburgh doesn't have an Iranian population, it struck me as odd to hear an entire family recently immigrated here----non-English speaking. Someone who doesn't speak English couldn't really be here on a work visa. Someone here on a student-visa couldnt' bring the entire family along. I didn't know that the US allowed immigration from Iran (since I'm very aware they all were deported in the 80s) so I assumed that they were here under some sort of protection.

It all just raised my curiousity. Since you say Iranians are settling in DC and CA, I wonder why they didn't chose to move to an area where they could have blended in with concentrations of Iranians. Then again, the reality is that Pittsburgh MIGHT have an Iranian immigrant population and I just don't know it. They could be blending in with other middle eastern immigrants. It's not like I can recognize languages people are speaking. And since I haven't knowingly seen an Iranian in Pittsburgh since the 80s, I couldn't recognize phyiscal characteristics anyway.

I'm always surprised at the number of immigrants we get in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh attracts educated immigrants, not low skilled labor. Our universities and hospitals must be the attraction. Often you don't realize it until you hear them talking in another language while shopping.

I really can't go into any more detail because Pittsburgh is so small---out of respect for their privacy. I guess part of me just wondered about their story if they were here for political asylum. Someone could say that I should just ask them, but that's sort of hard to do when they dont' speak English.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-29-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
Hopes wrote;
Quote:
I remember there were many Iranians in Pittsburgh back in the 80s here in Pittsburgh. They all got sent back to Iran in a mass deportation when political issues became dicey.
I lived in TX then and both my wife and I had Iranian friends and co-workers, I never heard of anything like that, and a google search didn't turn up anything on it either. Could you provide more details? Most of the Iranians I knew in Houston were in the oil and gas business, Gulf was still in business until (IIRC) '84 or '85, could this have been people who lost their jobs in the Texaco/Chevron/Gulf mix up?

Quote:
Since Pittsburgh doesn't have an Iranian population, it struck me as odd to hear an entire family recently immigrated here----non-English speaking. Someone who doesn't speak English couldn't really be here on a work visa. Someone here on a student-visa couldnt' bring the entire family along. I didn't know that the US allowed immigration from Iran (since I'm very aware they all were deported in the 80s) so I assumed that they were here under some sort of protection.
Non English speaking is pretty odd for educated Iranians. Do you speak Persian? Or are you assuming that they're Iranian and not Kurds or from one of the "stans"?

Just asking out of idle curiousity.

golfgod

Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I lived in TX then and both my wife and I had Iranian friends and co-workers, I never heard of anything like that, and a google search didn't turn up anything on it either. Could you provide more details? Most of the Iranians I knew in Houston were in the oil and gas business, Gulf was still in business until (IIRC) '84 or '85, could this have been people who lost their jobs in the Texaco/Chevron/Gulf mix up?
I'll make a correction in my wording. I believe student visas were revoked. Most of the Iranian population in Pittsburgh during the 80s were here on student visas.

My girlfriend lived at a very large apartment complex her mother managed. There was a huge population of Iranian students living there. All of their student visas were revoked at the same time. Since there was such a large concentration of Iranians living in that area, it was notable enough that even I was aware of it happening as a teenager.

I just did a google search and found an explanation that makes sense.

In 1979 before the american hostage crisis occur... - JustAnswer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Non English speaking is pretty odd for educated Iranians. Do you speak Persian? Or are you assuming that they're Iranian and not Kurds or from one of the "stans"?

Just asking out of idle curiousity.
That's what struck me as odd and raised my curiosity too. They definitely do not speak English. I'm trying to think of a way to convey this without giving too many details for their sake. Let's just say that they required an interpreter when someone was helping them with a government service after they recently arrived to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies