Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,335,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
[/indent]Oy! Here we go with Leviticus again. I've seen this on every anti-gay site or blog.

How about....
"Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves. For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you. "--Matthew 7:1-2
New TV game "Battle of the Bible Quotes"
Yeah - I thought the NT was supposed to negate the Neanderthal of the OT, like Obama was supposed to with GWB.

But really, gays can't "really" marry because that would defy the definition of marriage.

That's why Alexander the Great never married his boyfriend.

Even the most powerful emperor in the world refused to argue with definitive objective reality.

Play house, and do whatever else you want, but don't call it marriage - It could confuse the children!

If you want more Government benefits, just renounce your U.S. citizenship, and then illegally immigrate back to the U.S.

I'm thinking of doing it myself if I don't find employment soon.

Last edited by ergohead; 05-22-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Since you are proud of your viewpoint, could you shed some light on it?

Is the reason you are opposed to gay marriage because you see marriage as a religious sacrament?

Yes.

Are you also opposed to civil unions between gay people, or is it just the term "marriage" that you think should be reserved for heterosexual couples?

I do not care either way if gays can get civil unions. I am not opposed to civil unions at all for gay "couples" if they want to receive certain tax benefits and all the other benefits that you get under state-sanctioned marriages.

Do you think that a gay couple that has a civil union should have any rights?

Same as straight couples that get civil unions/marriages (under government, not the Church).

Like if one is hospitalized, that the hospital should extend visiting privileges the way they do in some cases with married couples? Or can one member of the civil union sign up the other on their insurance policy? Can they file their taxes as a couple rather than as two single people?

Why not?

The "majority" you proclaim yourself to be a part of embraces a range of beliefs when it comes to the issue. Where in that range do you fall?
I replied in the bolden. I fall under the group of people that are now being verbally persecuted in this country as "bigots" because we do not support same sex marriages in our Church.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,467,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am a bigot. I do not support same-sex marriage, so by the left's warped up logic I must be a bigot. If not supporting this perversion is bigoted, if being a Christian means I am a bigot, if standing up for what I believe to be right makes me a bigot, then so be it.

I want to formally declare the word bigot to be positive. Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. So bigots unite! I am a bigot and I am proud to be a bigot, because being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.
Homosexuality isn't something I consider a healthy or mentally sane behavior but everyone doesn't hold the same view about it as I do.

It doesn't make me a bigot because someone else thinks I'm narrow minded.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Homosexuality isn't something I consider a healthy or mentally sane behavior but everyone doesn't hold the same view about it as I do.

It doesn't make me a bigot because someone else thinks I'm narrow minded.

No, there is nothing wrong with you. Perfectly normal to view homosexuality as "gross" or unnatural, or even unhealthy. Just as I view anal sex between a man and a woman as unnatural and unhealthy.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM

91 posts, read 315,965 times
Quote:
I replied in the bolden. I fall under the group of people that are now being verbally persecuted in this country as "bigots" because we do not support same sex marriages in our Church.
The marriage received in a church has no impact upon a government sanctioned marriage. You can get "married" in a church but if you don't get the certificate from the government it still isn't recognized.

All we're asking for is the marriage certificate from the government. My church will marry my girlfriend and myself and that's all I'm asking for. I don't need your church to marry us.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM

It should not be called marriage if it is between a man and a man or with a woman and woman.

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
I'm certain that you feel persecuted because people are so passionate on this issue that they don't always take the time to listen closely to what each others' perspectives are.

Many, many of the gay people I know are not supportive of anyone forcing churches to perform marriages or to recognize same-sex marriages if that goes against the church's religious guidelines. The majority of people I know that support same-sex marriage are only asking for legal recognition of their unions, with all the same legal privileges, rights and responsibilities accorded to heterosexual unions.

13,691 posts, read 18,467,427 times
I don't think many people had any objection to civil unions or domestic partnerships. They were already legal in the state of California

It's when the State overturns the will of the people who voted by a majority not once but twice that I have a big problem with.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't think many people had any objection to civil unions or domestic partnerships. They were already legal in the state of California

It's when the State overturns the will of the people who voted by a majority not once but twice that I have a big problem with.
If that's true then the will of the people is all about the definition of the word "marriage". Seriously? All this nonsense over a WORD DEFINITION? I wouldn't turn my head to argue about the definition of a word much less picket and protest. Why would anyone?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
I am a bigot. I do not support same-sex marriage, so by the left's warped up logic I must be a bigot. If not supporting this perversion is bigoted, if being a Christian means I am a bigot, if standing up for what I believe to be right makes me a bigot, then so be it.

I want to formally declare the word bigot to be positive. Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. So bigots unite! I am a bigot and I am proud to be a bigot, because being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.
I think you're making quite a leap (as many do). I don't equate being against same-sex marriage with bigotry, but often, bigotry underlies the reasons why many are against it.

So, be against same-sex marriage all you want and I won't think of you as a bigot, but if you start talking about homosexuality as being unnatural, against "god", a mental illness, etc., well then, I will think of you as a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies