Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Did you really source a site devoted to taking the Bible out of context and then attempt to pass those verses off as the end-all be-all? It would be funny if it weren't so damn stupid.

Anyone can take a quote out of the Bible and twist it to fit their intentions. You should take a moment to try to understand Christianity before hanging your hat on sites that spew satanic absolutes that do nothing but ensure that you enjoy eternity in a particularly uncomfortable environment.

If you're going to argue for or against Christianity, at least come at us with intelligent recourse.

It's clear you know nothing about which you are arguing against. I'd be embarrassed if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM

519 posts, read 688,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Nothing has been taken out of context. That has been the standard defense of people who wish to rationalize these sordid verses from the Bible. Out of context? You've got to be kidding. I doubt you've actually read the Bible. Read it again. No one's stopping you. Then explain how these verses can possibly be out of context. God commanding the Israelites to pillage villages, kill men, and rape women and children? That's pretty straightforward stuff. Unless of course you're going to claim that those verses don't really mean what they say. But if the Bible is supposed to be taken literally (which many of you advocate, given that many of you believe in a literal 7 day creation of the Universe etc etc), then there are really no alibis to be made here.
Yes, I have read the entire Bible. More than once actually. Your (lame) quest to disparage the word of God indicates that you have no interest in learning what the true meaning of faith really is. Therefore, I find no reason to argue with you about the semantics. If it were obvious that you had an open mind about the subject, then perhaps we could talk. But you clearly don't, and I don't have time to debate with those that are utterly clueless (other than what they've read off of a worthless website).

Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Seems to me these people are the epitome of hatred and intolerance....they wish to subvert our constitution and way of life....and replace it with their version of government; forming a theocracy like in countries like Iran. Fanatical religion is what emboldens the terrorists to try and destroy us.....and that same element is working within our country, to destroy our constitution, just under a different name.

Another "I hate Christians" thread?

Did someone with a "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven" bumper sticker park in your space?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA
Seems to me these people are the epitome of hatred and intolerance....they wish to subvert our constitution and way of life....and replace it with their version of government; forming a theocracy like in countries like Iran. Fanatical religion is what emboldens the terrorists to try and destroy us.....and that same element is working within our country, to destroy our constitution, just under a different name

Name one piece of legislation introduced in the last 25 years that fits this description. Site the Bill number.

I'm still waiting.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Yes, I have read the entire Bible. More than once actually. Your (lame) quest to disparage the word of God indicates that you have no interest in learning what the true meaning of faith really is. Therefore, I find no reason to argue with you about the semantics. If it were obvious that you had an open mind about the subject, then perhaps we could talk. But you clearly don't, and I don't have time to debate with those that are utterly clueless (other than what they've read off of a worthless website).
I take it that you are unable to defend the verses that directly advocate rape and pillage of women and children.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Another "I hate Christians" thread?

Did someone with a "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven" bumper sticker park in your space?
Those are your words!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA
Seems to me these people are the epitome of hatred and intolerance....they wish to subvert our constitution and way of life....and replace it with their version of government; forming a theocracy like in countries like Iran. Fanatical religion is what emboldens the terrorists to try and destroy us.....and that same element is working within our country, to destroy our constitution, just under a different name

Name one piece of legislation introduced in the last 25 years that fits this description. Site the Bill number.

I'm still waiting.
It's more the lack thereof....

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Religion and Politics should remain seperate. When America was created it was a time of absolute hostility and bloodshed. People were killed for being "witches". Settlers had to defend themselves from renegades with firearms and medicine was a mud pack put on a wound. People still used a bucket as a toilet and most couldn't read. Religion was their saviour. The Settlers were puritans who can only be compared to modern day religous fanatics. This was the ideal of the 17th Century.
We have come a long way since the Mayflower. Education has now meant that we don't get all our facts from tyranical religous puritans. Religion didn't build America..... Immigrants built America.
America is a nation of Immigrants with every kind of faith and beliefs. Christianity is only one of many beliefs now in America.
I am NOT saying that Christian beliefs should be abolished or saying Merry Christmas etc should be outlawed. These things are no longer just religious they are part of American culture. What should be feared is the ultra religous "nuts" who are now trying to use Christianity to further their ideals.
They even want this to be the year of the "Bible". Well make it the year of the Bible in your Churches or wherever your faith takes you.
America is a MULTI religious Country. America needs its Govt to be neautral and not influenced by religion. Unfortunately every Govt knows that to say what they really believe will alienate them from the bible belt and that's a lot of votes out the window.
In the 21st Century we should understand that Religion is NOT what a Govt should be founded on...unless you want to be Iran or other such countries.
The BIBLE was written by man for man..whether it be Christian, Muslim, Judaism, Hindu or whatever.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 AM

519 posts, read 688,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I take it that you are unable to defend the verses that directly advocate rape and pillage of women and children.
No, you should take that as me not debating with someone who has no interest whatsoever in the true merits of Chritianity. Your mind is made up, so what's the point?

Instead of basing your premise on scholarly, historical knowledge of the Bible, you instead source a website that is "fantically" anti-Christian. There is no debating with your types. I simply refuse to get into an argument that is undoubtedly over your head.

When you make a knowledgeable attempt to understand the Bible, come back and we'll talk.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

Now what do you think they did to the young girls who are virgins?

This Bible of yours is obssessed with rape and pillage (many victims of whom were women and children) - and these were all sanctioned by your god - yeah the same god you pray to. No wonder you're so f---ked up.

You are so ignorant and filled with hate you can't tell up from down.

Keep spinning and it'll keep blowing up in your face.

Moses made the judgement call to allow the girls to live and the boys to die. The boys were probably killed because once they had reached adulthood, Israel would have had to fight them again. Boys also fight in some cultures so they have been treated as an adult soldier.

But why does Moses allow the virgin girls to live? It has nothing to do with rape since rape is outlawed in Deuteronomy 22:23-29. To suggest Moses would have knowingly violated this law has no merit. Rather, the virgins were allowed to live because 1) they were not responsible for the events of Numbers 25 2) posed no future threat to the nation of Israel 3) would have been suitable for servant girls. They also might have been suitable for wives, but I'm still looking for a verse that prohibits them from marrying Midianite women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies