Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I see this being a complicated confirmation hearing. I'am waiting to see how Sonia Sotomayor explains some of her opinions and judicial decisions.

Oh really? Name one single decision that is in the slightest way controversial.

The one you cite is not. In fact, in that case, Sotomayor ruled exactly as the law would dictate. The city decided that rather than be sued under Title IX, they would throw out the test and create a new one. That is what the law allows. To rule against the city would have required ignoring the law. It is the conservatives who would have her become a judicial activist by ruling differently in that case.

Since her nomination, there has not been on single actual decision that has been cited as problematic. There has been only fake outrage over vague, made-up character issues. You can't back up a single one of them.

You think conservatives would have learned a lesson from the last election. The American people can see through these tactics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Race aside, she has had over 60% of her decisions overturned by higher courts, that alone should disqualify her based on her lack of abilities to follow the Constitution of the United States.

That should be the measure of her getting the job or not... And I would say not....
You really don't know what you're talking about.

She has had over 380 rulings. Of those, 5 were heard on appeal and 3 were overturned.

Secondly, that 60% is below average for appeals. She does better than most.

Thanks for citing one of her qualifications! Only you think it's a disqualification. That's kind of funny.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:13 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Race aside, she has had over 60% of her decisions overturned by higher courts, that alone should disqualify her based on her lack of abilities to follow the Constitution of the United States.

That should be the measure of her getting the job or not... And I would say not....
You can find any reason - warranted or not - to not want someone on the bench. I think she will be a great addition.

Well done, Hoagie.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
The repubs get a Spanish vote? The Cuban Americans maybe but what other Spanish vote? They don't vote repub. They vote with the hand out crowd.

I bet you can guess why the Cubans vote Republican.
??? What are you reading from my post??? You don't think any Hispanics or Latinos vote Republican?

Spanish? Do the Spanish in this country vote Republican? I thought we were talking about Hispanics and Latinos.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
I don't care for this thinking that she shouldn't be opposed because of the Latino vote. That's not how you pick supreme court judges. She needs to be fairly examined like all nominees.
She shouldn't be opposed not because of the "Latino vote", but because her record is impeccable; she's probably the most highly qualified nominee the SC has seen in a hundred years. It's foolhardy to oppose her.

I only wish I knew her stance on Roe.
As she's replacing a pro-choice justice, I'd like some assurance that she is committed to upholding Roe.
I suspect she is, and merely doesn't want to inflame everyone by broadcasting it.
I do not think Obama would've nominated her if he hadn't made sure.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I see this being a complicated confirmation hearing. I'am waiting to see how Sonia Sotomayor explains some of her opinions and judicial decisions.
Please make it as complicated as possible, please make it contentious and don't forget to add in the charges of racism. PLEASE!!

GOP Hispanic Strategists Stunned, Outraged By Sotomayor Attacks

Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If she had made the same statements and been white she would not be confirmed or even get to a vote IMO.Her satem,ent about hispnic feamloes reaching a better decision than a whiote male would precude getting out of committee if the word hispanic female was replaced by whity male.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
replaced by whity male.
Well hopefully at least one that can spell.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
I see this being a complicated confirmation hearing.

Here's one of several reasons why her confirmation may get complicated.

This is about that firefighter case:

Quote:
His opinion(Cabranes) was a red flag to the U.S. Supreme Court, which decided to review the case and heard arguments last month. At the oral argument, questions posed by the justices suggested strongly that the appeals court ruling would be reversed.

The high court's opinion is expected in late June — probably just weeks before a confirmation hearing — and it could be seen as a repudiation of Sotomayor...

Sotomayor Critics Focus On Firefighters Case : NPR

Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
I don't think she is a shoe in. First she is seen by many whites as a racist latino who has a bone to pick with white America. Second reason is her activist position worries many since she believes judges should make policy. It is not going to go well for her. There is always a calm before a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies