Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And you know what's strange? I never knew they were illegal until they weren't any more! I'd have hated to have the "sex police" burst in on my husband and me!
Well, the truth is that those laws were almost never used against heterosexuals. That's why they stayed on the books for so long. Most of society had no problem criminalizing homosexual acts, and those who were arrested for homosexual conduct rarely fought back. They were probably too embarrassed and ashamed to speak up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
i thought sexual orientation meant whether you think of yourself as male or female---i feel sexual orientation and identity are interchangeable
I have to assume you're serious, but I also find it hard to believe what you wrote.

Sexual orientation refers to attractions - emotional and physical. Gender identity is very different.

Quote:
i see being gay or straight as ability to emotionally and physically interact with a member of the same or opposite sex--hence behavior---so far as someone who has medically and psychologically worked with those gay and straight---i have NEVER met anyone born gay!
I don't know what kind of work you do, but of the thousands of gay guys I've known, not one of them has ever said that his attractions were anything but innate. Also, all of the major medical and psychological organizations say that sexual orientation is something we are either born with, or less likely, something that develops at a very early age. They all agree that it cannot be changed.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i have been to the gay pride parade and seen ZERO protestors. i will guarantee if there where a straight pride parade there would be gay rights protestors.
I don't know what things are like now, but there definitely used to be anti-gay protesters at every public gay event. I vividly remember them holding signs and screaming at us with their bullhorns about god, hell, repenting, etc.

Even if there were gay protesters at a straight event, so what? Straights are clearly in the majority. You have little to worry about.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
There is no story that proves gay marriage would harm someone. The opposition to gay marriage is almost exclusively rooted in religious belief(despite the ridiculous yammerings of anti gays). The same people who object to gay marriage will say that if gay marriage is legalized then that opens the door to legalize things like incest. What they fail to realize is that the bible condones incest. A couple of examples being Lot and how his daughters got him drunk then had sex with him or the Creation myth-who did Cain mate with, a pig. Pressupposing that the myth is true, he would have mated with his mother or a sister. Opposition to gay marriage comes from making a personal bias then not comprehending that their personal bias is a value judgement, not a proven fact. Legalized gay marriage will never have a negative affect on anyone. If someone doesn't like gay marriage, then they don't have to get one.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know what things are like now, but there definitely used to be anti-gay protesters at every public gay event. I vividly remember them holding signs and screaming at us with their bullhorns about god, hell, repenting, etc.

Even if there were gay protesters at a straight event, so what? Straights are clearly in the majority. You have little to worry about.
There are constant protestors at gay pride parades & especially Pridefest here. There were even gay protestors standing outside of Summerfest which is a music festival.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
There are constant protestors at gay pride parades & especially Pridefest here. There were even gay protestors standing outside of Summerfest which is a music festival.
It's ironic that those same people complained about gays protesting in California after same-sex marriage was abolished in this state. I guess the anti-gay crowd believes that only they have a right to protest.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's ironic that those same people complained about gays protesting in California after same-sex marriage was abolished in this state. I guess the anti-gay crowd believes that only they have a right to protest.
Apparently so...boo hoo!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro.star View Post
**** em ******s
Care to repeat that? Most of us don't speak the Asterisk language.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
In what context have you "medically and psychologically worked" with gay people? I'm guessing it was one of those creepy brainwashing camps that wash the gay away like "Love in Action"?

You say you have never met anybody who was born gay? Please allow me to introduce myself to you. My name is Michael, and I was born gay. Whether or not you choose to believe that or not is your problem, not mine.
I think this person is too familar with mental problems.....I would like to know how ANYONE knows how I or other people feel. I was Born gay now say something intelligent, or at least coherent. I have had it with the gay experts......who know more about gays than than gay people.......takes all kinds I guess.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think this person is too familar with mental problems.....I would like to know how ANYONE knows how I or other people feel. I was Born gay now say something intelligent, or at least coherent. I have had it with the gay experts......who know more about gays than than gay people.......takes all kinds I guess.
Yes, wouldn't it be nice if these people actually shut it for a minute & even attempted to think what it would be like to be gay? Don't count on that happening any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies