Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There's always a few bad apples, but I can't speak negatively about the NYPD after 9/11. Most people out there wouldn't have the cajones to be a police officer, especially in a city, and just because a handful may be corrupt doesn't give anyone an excuse to pi$$ all over a group of men and women that should be regarded as heroes.
The true HEROS never came home. They're the real true heros whom we owe a great deal of gratitude.

Quote:
Honestly, the way you put down police officers, I would say you are a hypocrite if you ever call the police when you need them. And the sad part is, the police (and other law enforcement, military, firefighters) even come out to help yahoos like yourself that disrespect them and put them down.
I'm not a "yahoo" as you describe. I'm a 49 year old educated professional person who speaks his mind just like you but I tell it like it is. I don't hold back. If you consider the folks out here "yahoo's" then why are you out here?? HYPOCRITE!!

Quote:
Also, I find that the people who are the most anti-police are the people who are up to no good. If you're on the right side of the law, the police are not your enemy.
Haven't been in trouble with the law and, thank God, haven't had the misfortune of dealing with the NYPD who think everyone works for them instead of the other way around!! And the "few" bad apples....well it's not just a few....just like New Yorkers themselves who can be rude and disrespectful of others so are the NYPD. I am an ex-Brooklynite myself and 1000% glad I left when I did!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,619 times
DavidWebb,

Respect is a 2-way street sir remember that. By the sound of your posts you seem to be a very unhappy person who is just looking to put people down. What you give out to other people will certainly come back to you. You may want to try and live by the old-time saying "treat people the way you want to be treated".

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
DavidWebb,

Respect is a 2-way street sir remember that. By the sound of your posts you seem to be a very unhappy person who is just looking to put people down.
Not unhappy at all. Just stating facts as I've seen them over my 49 years!! I'm not "looking to put people down" as you say but the NYPD does not deserve any recognition at all. Besides, as the original poster said, those of us that live out here, including the locals, are nothing but "yahoo's" in his words. If that's the case, XL600R, what are you doing living out here then?? Why not go back to the rotten Apple where you're most happy?? Living out here against City rules which say you must be a resident in order to be a part of the NYPD??

Old 06-04-2009, 05:55 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,619 times
David,

All police officers, no matter where they do their work, deserve a great amount of recognition for a job that you and I would never do. They protect you and I on a daily basis from the predators of society. In reading the posts, I don't believe that XL600R ever referred to people in NEPA as "yahoos". I believe you have him confused with another poster. You may wish to read through the posts again and find the one that you are accusing. By the way, why would you assume that XL600R lives in NEPA? Your intentional assumption that he is going against the City-residency rules is out of line.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
David,

All police officers, no matter where they do their work, deserve a great amount of recognition for a job that you and I would never do. They protect you and I on a daily basis from the predators of society. In reading the posts, I don't believe that XL600R ever referred to people in NEPA as "yahoos". I believe you have him confused with another poster. You may wish to read through the posts again and find the one that you are accusing. By the way, why would you assume that XL600R lives in NEPA? Your intentional assumption that he is going against the City-residency rules is out of line.

Those rules for living in the city were relaxed in the 1970's when 1/2 the force moved to Pearl River! If NYPD were still being forced to live in one of the five boroughs...Harlem would be crime free since it is probably the only place a rookie could afford a cot and a hot!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Not unhappy at all. Just stating facts as I've seen them over my 49 years!! I'm not "looking to put people down" as you say but the NYPD does not deserve any recognition at all. Besides, as the original poster said, those of us that live out here, including the locals, are nothing but "yahoo's" in his words. If that's the case, XL600R, what are you doing living out here then?? Why not go back to the rotten Apple where you're most happy?? Living out here against City rules which say you must be a resident in order to be a part of the NYPD??

Residency rules and broken all the time.........not worth the effort if one gets caught

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM

102 posts, read 297,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
DavidWebb,

Your assertion that I live outside NYC residency laws is out of line. The truth is I reside on Long Island (within NYC residency laws) and have bought property in NEPA where I will build a home, next year, after I retire. Your lack of respect for the NYPD is fine with me. One can not please all. I will tell you this, I have worked with some of the finest human beings in the world while employed by the NYPD. In my 19.5 years with the force, I have met some of the most intelligent, best educated and well rounded individuals one can find. I don't know what soured you to members of the NYPD, but if I were to introduce you to some of the people I know, it would change your opinion entirely. Not all cops in the NYPD are great. There are some bad apples in the barrel that are there for a salary. Myself, and numerous others, swore that oath in order to make a difference. Most people outside of law enforcement only see what is on their favorite TV shows. They form their opinions based on "Law and Order" or "NYPD Blue". That is not reality, not even close. They get the jargon right and have some of the same posters one would find in a real NYPD Precinct, but that is where the similarity ends. Reality is something all together different. There are people out there who would kill a cop just for being on the same block they are on. Cops must always have their guard up. It is a matter of survival. That is why they may seem so gruff, but please don't take it personally. Sorry if you had a sour experience with my colleagues.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
I have been going to NYC for better than 30 years, I have always found NYPD to be courteous and professional when ever I had the chance to speak with them, asking directions,opinions on what to do and see, or just making small talk..

Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Me too, exactly..........and that many years............or is it more

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPhotog View Post
I hate to see the support of our police and military waning.
As a veteran of the US Navy, my support for the military will never wane. It's just the cop's of the NYPD that I don't trust. They think they're above the law and we're supposed to bow to them. They don't seem to realize that we, the taxpayers, pay their salary. Not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies