Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Better than being a Christian Country.
I can see why you would be so attracted to the liberal nature of Muslim countries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have not heard Obama say once that the US was Christian country and now he says that we are a Muslim one. What the hell is wrong with him? The US is a representative constitutional republic that is not based on any religion.
Before you worry about others, worry about self. But it also requires to keep personal insecurities aside and adept to what comes out of smart (and with the topic of issue at hand, secular) people.

India is a Hindu country (technically it is constitutionally a secular country even though 80% of its population is Hindu, just like America is supposed to be constitutionally secular and except for some vocal nutcases, it really is). However, India has a Muslim population that exceeds all Muslim countries but Indonesia. There would be nothing wrong in alluding to that fact to make a point and extending friendship instead of hostility that the right wingers in ANY country (be it extreme Hindus, Muslims, Christians... you name it) find comfort in.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
People that have religious beliefs - who practice their religion. Who live by those religious beliefs are not "religious fanatics" as some would assert.

The FACT is - the United States is a RELIGIOUS nation. Please NOTE: I did not say "Christian" nation. I said RELIGIOUS nation - a Nation where over 80% of its people identify themselves as "religious". A Nation made up of various beliefs - various religions - and we are all FREE to practice any religion we want to (Freedom of Religion) or, not believe in any religion.

But, to try to charge that those who are religious are fanatics is simply misguided.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Better than being a Christian Country.

You sure about that? Muslims hate the western countries because of liberalism, low morals. What they do love is how easy it is to use liberals and liberalism to further their agenda.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
The OP is showing classic conservative ignorance.
In a way, the US is a large Muslim country (population wise). % wise, though, it's not that large at all. So Obama was at worst, 1/2 right.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You sure about that? Muslims hate the western countries because of liberalism, low morals...
Pretty much what evangelical Americans think of liberal/progressive Americans, and this is within our borders. So it shouldn't surprise anybody that similar rhetoric exists outside.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Obama was simply saying that we have a large Muslim population which is correct.
My God, when even Rggr agrees with the crazy libs you've got to rethink your position!

That, or attack him

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
My God, when even Rggr agrees with the crazy libs you've got to rethink your position!

That, or attack him
Every now and then you crazy libs are correct.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A seriously misguided statement on your part IMO
Yes. In your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
You know what I find incredible --posters reading ghost posts. Where did I ever say I was offended about not being a Christian Country? when did I ever post we are a Christian country.

Weird.
I did not say I was waiting for YOU to say it. Nice try though.

Quote:
Obama was simply saying that we have a large Muslim population which is correct.
Yes. It is correct. It is cute how some people are taking offense to even this.

Quote:
I can see why you would be so attracted to the liberal nature of Muslim countries...
Uh...ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You sure about that? Muslims hate the western countries because of liberalism, low morals. What they do love is how easy it is to use liberals and liberalism to further their agenda.
LOL. Nope. Nice try blaming it on just liberals though. One thing people like you don't get is that CONSERVATIVES ALSO DO THINGS OF LOW MORALS. Did Sarah Palins daughter have premarital sex? Oh my GOD! Don't CONSERVATIVES also have...gasp....gasp...ABORTIONS? Aren't there some Conservatives that are...gasp...gasp...gasp....GAY?!?!?!?!?

And of course, you will all have nothing to say. I have said this many times and conservatives and they look past it. Why? Guess they cannot prove it wrong?

Logic, reasoning. It works.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yeah those countries where the husbands are allowed to beat their wives are much better.
I would expect a statement of no less complete foolishness then from a poster with the name "Theliberalvoice"
And it would be much better under absolute Christian rule?
Deuteronomy 20:10-14
Quote:
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.
Quote:
If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies