Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is, or comes closest to, your personal belief?
African Traditional or Diasporic 0 0%
Agnostic 20 21.05%
Anglican 5 5.26%
Atheist or Anti-theist 8 8.42%
Baptist 16 16.84%
Buddhist 4 4.21%
Catholic 7 7.37%
Eastern Orthodox 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Jehovah's Witness 0 0%
Jewish 1 1.05%
LDS/Mormon 1 1.05%
Muslim/Islam 0 0%
Neo-Pagan (Wicca, Druidism, neo-Native American, etc) 4 4.21%
Protestant (Luth.,Method.,Presbyt., etc) 10 10.53%
Quaker 0 0%
Scientologist 0 0%
Secular Humanist 3 3.16%
Shinto 0 0%
Sikh 0 0%
Taoist 0 0%
Unitarian or Universalist 1 1.05%
OTHER (not listed) 15 15.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times

Advertisements

Which is the religion where you pay a lot of money and you get a special piece of string to wear that shows how cool and mystical you are? The gnostic question reminded me of that. They study ancient Hebrew texts. Madonna was into that last year. Maybe it is gnosticism.

And then there's Zoroastrianism. Was that a choice? And there are no Anglicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
LOL ellie!!! Trust me when I tell you that Gnosticism has nothing to do with string.

I don't know what the string thing is, but maybe someone else can answer that.

Gnosticism is approximately as old as Christianity, but has some beliefs that make it pretty unacceptable to most Christians, because they're very fundamental. They're pretty controversial too. But totally fascinating...I mean there's a whole lineup of scriptures and gospels.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Nope, no Anglicans--they appear to be a dying breed! Or they are born-again! No Congregationalist either, I suspect!

On second thought, several people may have just come in as Protesters!

Zoroastrianism--well, frankly I think I might have met one person who even knew how to spell it. Another lost or losing belief, but the basis of many others. Perhaps those people are living in the outskirts of Turkey.

I know nothing about strings, but the Gnostics are something I wish I knew more about in modern terms. Rather a competitive group back in 22 A.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Which is the religion where you pay a lot of money and you get a special piece of string to wear that shows how cool and mystical you are? The gnostic question reminded me of that. They study ancient Hebrew texts. Madonna was into that last year. Maybe it is gnosticism.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,028 times
Quote:

Kabbalah. And it's a red string.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah

Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM

192 posts, read 864,795 times
I actually did think of Zoroastrianism but because, as ontheroad says, it appears to be such an isolated belief, I decided it would best fall into the category of "Other, not listed".

Kabbalah would fall into the general category of "Jewish", I'd think; just the Amish would fall into 'Other, not listed' although it is a Christian religion (and because, obviously, no Amish are likely to be sitting at a computer voting in polls on City-Data! )

Also, I felt that simply making one single category for "Christian" wouldn't be nearly as informative or interesting as breaking down the results more specifically.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Kabbalah isn't a religion but a study. It has been taken on by many outside of the Jewish faith because of its mystical implications and its association with secrets. Secrets held by the informed, so to speak. Not only has it been studied by scholars, and non-scholars, it has begun to be included in such practices as tarot and astrology. One reason, I imagine, this has happened is because of its emphasis on numbers--their sound and significance in religious documents.

Just some surmise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
I actually did think of Zoroastrianism but because, as ontheroad says, it appears to be such an isolated belief, I decided it would best fall into the category of "Other, not listed".

Kabbalah would fall into the general category of "Jewish", I'd think; just the Amish would fall into 'Other, not listed' although it is a Christian religion (and because, obviously, no Amish are likely to be sitting at a computer voting in polls on City-Data! )

Also, I felt that simply making one single category for "Christian" wouldn't be nearly as informative or interesting as breaking down the results more specifically.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 AM

Ah yes, secrets. Still I'm skeptical of any religion or other society that you are expected to pay money to join.

When I was young and extremely bohemian in costume I had a huge spool of thick red string, some of which I kept tied around my ankles and wrists for months at a time.

Either I was an unknowing initiate or the modern Kabbalists stole my idea.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM

I have no investment, financial or spiritual, in Cabala or Kabbalah, but if a few folks (I checked the internet) like Madonna, and others in her group, distort the basic tenets of a study, it isn't a fact--but just that, a distortion of a serious practice among a particular sect within Judaism--Hasidim.

Money and kabbalah are not a practice among the religious. This is some new pass into the "unknown" created by the known.

You'd be hard pressed to find any Jewish man (women were forbidden to study) who is involved in a public group on the subject!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I have no investment, financial or spiritual, in Cabala or Kabbalah, but if a few folks (I checked the internet) like Madonna, and others in her group, distort the basic tenets of a study, it isn't a fact--but just that, a distortion of a serious practice among a particular sect within Judaism--Hasidim.

Money and kabbalah are not a practice among the religious. This is some new pass into the "unknown" created by the known.

You'd be hard pressed to find any Jewish man (women were forbidden to study) who is involved in a public group on the subject!
That's exactly why I was poking fun.

I have a huge respect, based on the little I know, of the Jewish community's acceptance of scholarship, questioning, and analysis of their belief system. I can't carry this discussion further for fear of waking the mob in the dayroom, so no more joking and playing with this subject today.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Sorry, my serious academic side didn't realize you were joking--but for those that knew little or nothing about Kabbalah, perhaps one more myth is destroyed.

Quote:
That's exactly why I was poking fun.

I have a huge respect, based on the little I know, of the Jewish community's acceptance of scholarship, questioning, and analysis of their belief system. I can't carry this discussion further for fear of waking the mob in the dayroom, so no more joking and playing with this subject today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies