Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thankfully we are under an administration now that values law, the GC, and the UN enough to adhere to the standards that we agreed to follow. Putting your style of "thinking" away for good I hope.
And yet your God has adopted the policies of the bush admin. Detainee retention, NSA wiretapping, no closing of GITMO.

In fact, he has even expanded some of the policies with his invoking "sovereign immunity".

I guess you only read the WH propaganda for information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, this is new "news".

DOJ lawyers might of thought it "wrong" and unpleasant, but the ones involved (and there were plenty) believed it legal.
[Mod edit]The DOJ wrote cover memos declaring the torture legal. That's who will ultimately be prosecuted. This has been know for months.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 06-07-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Lets not call folks names shall we

Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The DOJ wrote cover memos declaring the torture legal. That's who will ultimately be prosecuted. This has been know for months.
BS.

Let's see it.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:20 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Default Another rightwing falsehood, "agreement among DOJ lawyers..

about the legality of torture.

[MOD CUT/inflammatory]

Except when you take the time to read the actual e-mails cited as "evidence" of this it turns out that it's just another smoke-screen to try to prevent the proscecutions of Bush era sleaze bags. So, why is [MOD CUT] doing the bidding (once again) of the Bush team?

Here's what the (Jim Comey's <Deputy Attorney General>)emails actually say; "Pat (Office of Legal Council, Philbin) was marking up drafts to highlight the inadequacy of the analysis-only to have his comments ignored. I then read a draft and agreed with his concerns. In a meeting last Friday I expressed my concerns and that I had grave reservations about the second opinion."

Comey then went to AG Alberto (still not indicted) Gonzales and told him of his concerns. Gonzo said that he was under extreme pressure from Cheney and Bush to produce the memos. Also pressure was coming from Harriet Miers and David (again, not yet indicted) Addington to produce the "combined effect" memos.

Comey expressed his concern that the DOJ attorneys were acting out of loyalty to the White House, not the DOJ. He warned Gonzo that "this could come back and bite you".

Comey also wrote about exactly what is happening now. That the White House officials would say "we were only acting on what we were told" and that the (remaining) DOJ people would say, "we were only asked for (actually told to produce) an opinion.

Again, the righties on C-D show their complete moral and ethical bankruptcy. [MOD CUT/personal attack]
Let's have some truth telling on here folks.

golfgod

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Please do not discuss other posters

Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Some comments about this:
What the New Jim Comey Torture Emails Actually Reveal | CommonDreams.org

Quote:
Just read the Comey emails for yourself -- they're not long -- and you'll see exactly how these DOJ torture memos were actually produced.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM

I'll just edit this post since I see the mods have merged threads.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-07-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM

Strange merge.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

The short thread posts #34-36, merged with the longer one.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Yeah, I realize that.
But we've got opposing views with different threads on almost every other topic.

Whatever, I'm adding nothing.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Glenn Greenwald takes the NYT article apart.

They Lawyers did in fact disagree with the policy. The problem is, as the e-mails show, they caved due to political pressure, not legal opinion.

Just like Hitler's advisors.

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

""The real story here is obvious -- these DOJ memos authorizing torture were anything but the by-product of independent, good faith legal analysis. Instead, those memos -- just like the pre-war CIA reports about The Threat of Saddam -- were coerced by White House officials eager for bureaucratic cover for what they had already ordered. This was done precisely so that once this all became public, they could point to those memos and have the political and media establishment excuse what they did ("Oh, they only did what they DOJ told them was legal"'/"Oh, they were only reacting to CIA warnings about Saddam's weapons"). These DOJ memos, like the CIA reports, were all engineered by the White House to give cover to what they wanted to do; they were not the precipitating events that led to and justified those decisions. That is the critical point proven by the Comey emails, and it is completely obscured by the NYT article, which instead trumpets the opposite point ("Unanimity at DOJ that these tactics were legal") because that's the story their leaking sources wanted them to promote.""

"Liberal media" strikes again.

Last edited by padcrasher; 06-07-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies