Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times

Advertisements

Ten banks win approval to pay back TARP - Jun. 9, 2009

Maybe next time private lenders will give Uncle Sam the big FU when he tries to force feed $$$ to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Maybe next time private lenders will give Uncle Sam the big FU when he tries to force feed $$$ to them.
And if they fail they fail- a big FU to the inept companies.

I am not working everyday to pay for their failures.

OK Here come the SHEEP! BAAAHHHH

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:

VTTP you know better than this.

Big banks may get green light to repay TARP funds as soon as today
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
And if they fail they fail- a big FU to the inept companies.

I am not working everyday to pay for their failures.

OK Here come the SHEEP! BAAAHHHH
Typical irresponsible, jingoistic noise. Plus some projection at the end; classic.

"If they fail they fail" --

"I am not working every day to pay for their failures" -- what do you think you'd be doing if they failed, my friend?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
VTTP you know better than this.

Big banks may get green light to repay TARP funds as soon as todayTypical irresponsible, jingoistic noise. Plus some projection at the end; classic.

"If they fail they fail" --

"I am not working every day to pay for their failures" -- what do you think you'd be doing if they failed, my friend?
Typical end of the world tin foil hattery.

If they failed, we will not turn to cannibals and live in caves. Banks have been going BK for centuries, and life goes on.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Typical end of the world tin foil hattery.

If they failed, we will not turn to cannibals and live in caves. Banks have been going BK for centuries, and life goes on.
Yes who says my firm would go out of business because another firm failed?
In fact my firm would be stronger because we would hire the talent that is out there like we did after Lehman went down.
My firm is succesful. The ones that failed were not yet we all pay for it.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yes who says my firm would go out of business because another firm failed?
In fact my firm would be stronger because we would hire the talent that is out there like we did after Lehman went down.
My firm is succesful. The ones that failed were not yet we all pay for it.
So would credit unions and smaller lenders who lend more on personal references and alternative means. It's hypothetical nonsense to think society will fail without Citi, with zero empirical evidence.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Tin foil hattery?

....some wonder if this is more for show than an indication banks are ready to stand on their own. Banks can still tap cheap loans, debt guarantees and, of course, the biggest promise of all -- that big banks are too big to fail. So it's more like sending these banks out with training wheels than allowing them to fend for themselves
"It's good from an individual investor point of view, it's great for the banks, but from a system point of view it's very dangerous."
And, the elephant is still in the room. Banks still have billions, possibly trillions, of dollars of toxic assets on their books. Banks don't want to write down the assets to the level needed to sell them so the government shelved a plan to encourage investor purchases of mortgage loans. This plan is now seen as an insurance policy in case banks need more help in the future.

While the banks are showing signs of recovery only thanks to the trillions of dollars the government and the Federal Reserve put into the system, not because they can stand on their own, the system is still fragile: Foreclosures continue to mount; bankruptcies are being filed at the rate of more than 6,000 per day.

/quote

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Tin foil hattery?

....some wonder if this is more for show than an indication banks are ready to stand on their own. Banks can still tap cheap loans, debt guarantees and, of course, the biggest promise of all -- that big banks are too big to fail. So it's more like sending these banks out with training wheels than allowing them to fend for themselves
"It's good from an individual investor point of view, it's great for the banks, but from a system point of view it's very dangerous."
And, the elephant is still in the room. Banks still have billions, possibly trillions, of dollars of toxic assets on their books. Banks don't want to write down the assets to the level needed to sell them so the government shelved a plan to encourage investor purchases of mortgage loans. This plan is now seen as an insurance policy in case banks need more help in the future.

While the banks are showing signs of recovery only thanks to the trillions of dollars the government and the Federal Reserve put into the system, not because they can stand on their own, the system is still fragile: Foreclosures continue to mount; bankruptcies are being filed at the rate of more than 6,000 per day.

/quote
Yep, tin foil hattery. Purely hypothetical situation considering Lehman went BK without gubmint help and the country did not enter into civil war. No different than GWB's empty claims of WMD and "we're all gonna die if we don't do XYZ". Maybe you should join the neo-cons since you have so much in common with them?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So would credit unions and smaller lenders who lend more on personal references and alternative means. It's hypothetical nonsense to think society will fail without Citi, with zero empirical evidence.
The bailouts were all based on Fear.
If any money should have went out it should have been to the healthy firms so they could forge mergers and aquisitions. Bank of America and Merill did it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yep, tin foil hattery. Purely hypothetical situation considering Lehman went BK without gubmint help and the country did not enter into civil war. No different than GWB's empty claims of WMD and "we're all gonna die if we don't do XYZ". Maybe you should join the neo-cons since you have so much in common with them?
Do you happen to remember what happened as a result of Lehman going under? I know it was a long time ago.

Didnt you say you're an investor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies