Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Got a 1996 Chevy S-10 2WD 4.3 V6 with 160,000 on it
Also have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery AWD 4.0 V8 with 184,000 on it
Both are paid for
I plan on driving them until they cant go anymore.
I have a 2006 honda civic 30K miles.
I have 1.5 years of payments left on my car. In the past I would have traded in about now for a nice new civic or accord. Not this time. I will take this one to at least 180,000K and not have payments for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
You don't think anything is a decent idea, do you? People need to purchase vehicles from time to time. This program would make it easier for them to do that and boost American car sales. It could have a positive effect on the economy, the environment and hopefully help the auto companies get back on their feet. Hogwash? How is that? Reportedly, a similar program has worked out well in Europe.
Actually, it would have a negative effect on the economy. As expected you are forgetting one very important economic truism:
What one receives without work, another must work without receiving.
This law would take $4 billion away from hard-working taxpayers and give it to those who have not earned it. The entitlement mentality of liberal freaks is to screw over everyone else so they can spend other people's money. These "progressive" Liberal freaks have no honor and no self-respect, they are truly scum of the earth.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I have a 2006 honda civic 30K miles.
I have 1.5 years of payments left on my car. In the past I would have traded in about now for a nice new civic or accord. Not this time. I will take this one to at least 180,000K and not have payments for several years.

It feels good. Insurance is cheaper. No car payment (havent had one in over 3 years).
If one has a problem I will drive the other for a little while.

Hell I got the Discovery when it had 116,000 on it already. Put about 70,000 on it in just under 4 years. Have only had very minor problems (alternator once, headlight switch, belt, tires, brakes) normal stuff really.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
"President Barack Obama has urged Congress to approve consumer incentives for new car purchases as part of the government's efforts to reorganize General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC through the bankruptcy courts.

The House proposal set for a floor vote Tuesday is aimed at stimulating car sales during a bleak period for the auto industry while increasing the nation's fleet of cars that get more miles to the gallon. GM and Chrysler have received billions of dollars in government aid, but the entire auto industry has watched car sales plummet during the past year. In May, overall sales were 34 percent lower than a year ago."
RealClearPolitics - Politics - Jun 09, 2009 - Congress to consider 'cash for clunkers' plan
This is the first time I've heard of this. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.
My first thought is when did it become the duty of the federal government to promote private industry, at taxpayer expense? When did it become the federal government's concern over whether or not I buy a new car? And what gives them the right to pick the pockets of the American taxpayer to give other citizens $3,500 to buy a new car, when their current car is functioning perfectly fine?

Is this more global warming crap? Is it worth $3,5000 just so people buy a newer car with slightly better gas mileage? Or is this just 0bama and the democrats trying to save themselves from negative political fallout if GM and Chrysler fail, because they own it now?

Will this $3,500 apply to the purchase of a new motorcycle? If they are concerned over global warming, motorcycles get better gas mileage, so why not subsidize them too? You see, it is not about global warming, its about trying to save their political rear ends and prop up GM and Chrysler.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My first thought is when did it become the duty of the federal government to promote private industry, at taxpayer expense? When did it become the federal government's concern over whether or not I buy a new car? And what gives them the right to pick the pockets of the American taxpayer to give other citizens $3,500 to buy a new car, when their current car is functioning perfectly fine?

Is this more global warming crap? Is it worth $3,5000 just so people buy a newer car with slightly better gas mileage? Or is this just 0bama and the democrats trying to save themselves from negative political fallout if GM and Chrysler fail, because they own it now?

Will this $3,500 apply to the purchase of a new motorcycle? If they are concerned over global warming, motorcycles get better gas mileage, so why not subsidize them too? You see, it is not about global warming, its about trying to save their political rear ends and prop up GM and Chrysler.
Who did not realize Government knows what time is best for us to buy a car?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
This paragraph really caught my attention. I'm tired of lawmakers attempting to find additional money. It usually means it's going to cost me.
The ignorant among us will willing , and greedily feed at the government trough, without any thought that the bill will come due one day, and our children and grandchildren will be paying for their greed of instant gratification.

I offered this a while back, as food for thought. 0bama and the dems will not simply allow Americans to drive their SUVs, or sub 25mpg cars without coming up with some punishment, in the form of a new tax for daring to drive a "clunker". They own two car companies now, and they need to turn a profit, for their political, careers. In order to do this, they need to treat you people like the smokers - tax the crap out of you to force you out of your "clunker", and into a new 0bama motors tinfoil car.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No, H.R. 2751 does not apply toward the purchase of a new motorcycle. The bill specifically applies to "passenger automobiles" and Category 1, 2, or 3 trucks with additional criteria.

In order to qualify for the $3,500 taxpayer subsidy, the new "passenger automobile" you plan on purchasing must get at least 4 mpg more than your trade-in. A new Category 1 truck must get at least 2 mpg more than the trade-in. A new Category 2 truck must get at least 1 mpg more than the trade-in. Lastly, a Category 3 truck must be at least 2001 or newer.

In order to qualify for the $4,500 taxpayer subsidy, the new "passenger automobile" you plan on purchasing must get at least 10 mpg more than your trade-in. A new Category 1 truck must get at least 5 mpg more than the trade-in. A new Category 2 truck must get at least 2 mpg more than the trade-in. Category 3 trucks are not eligible.

Source: Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Time to buy a $1k junker and reap the benefit?

Then again, manufacturers will just increase prices to compensate for the government distorting the market. Businesses are in business to maximize profit, not as charities. They will adjust the MSRP to best maximize profitability.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Time to buy a $1k junker and reap the benefit?

Then again, manufacturers will just increase prices to compensate for the government distorting the market. Businesses are in business to maximize profit, not as charities. They will adjust the MSRP to best maximize profitability.

Great idea.

Go buy 4 junkers for $500/each right now, make $16,000.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Good! Let's get some people on the lots buying some cars. If you don't like the program, don't use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies