Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should felons be allowed to obtain, possess and carry weapons?
Yes 9 15.00%
No 51 85.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I disagree that all rights should be restored. I believe that all except gun rights should be.

With that said, there are a bunch of felonies I would like to be wiped off the books and/or reduced to misdemeanors. Someone who is a true felon, however, should not be allowed to have a gun IMO.
We can only work with the laws as we have them. Some laws should be lessened, some hardened but a felony is a felony. I'd rather the felon not have the gun than have the gun and wonder if they're going to shoot up the holocaust museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

If one case (or what you call an "outlier") doesn't matter to you, then what principles do you stand on?

I stand on the principle of common sense not dreaming that things that haven't happened "might" happen. Legally giving a gun to a rapist is moronic. I don't base on entire belief on a "a couple" cases I just goggled. I've stated why I don't believe felons deserve to posssess weapons..

So I'm guessing you'd give the Shoe Bomber, the Blind Sheihk, 20th hijacker, Charles Manson, and the DC Sniper guns upon their release from prison?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
When are they..You haven't shown any evidence of these rare laws being used. Where are the convictions? A law is not a felony conviction. You've come up with sodomy which is no longer a felony, an obscenity law but no outlandish convictions and one misuse of a firearm conviction. That's not a lot. That's nothing.
It may be nothing to you, but it means a lot to those who are arrested and/or convicted.

I doubt I'll be able to come up with a sufficient number of examples for you. My sense is that you're convinced that all felony laws are just and all who are convicted of felonies deserve to be convicted and deserve to have their right to own a gun taken away from them. Maybe you also believe they deserve to be restricted from voting ever again - I'm not sure.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
When you commit a felony you give up some of your rights. That is a price one pays. Besides the last thing we need is to make it easier for criminals to get firearms.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
So I'm guessing you'd give the Shoe Bomber, the Blind Sheihk, 20th hijacker, Charles Manson, and the DC Sniper guns upon their release from prison?
Yes.

I find it amusing that you keep trying to bait me with extreme examples. As I've stated, if the time has been served and/or the fine has been paid, I believe all rights should be restored. I hope I don't have to say that again.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It may be nothing to you, but it means a lot to those who are arrested and/or convicted.

I doubt I'll be able to come up with a sufficient number of examples for you. My sense is that you're convinced that all felony laws are just and all who are convicted of felonies deserve to be convicted and deserve to have their right to own a gun taken away from them. Maybe you also believe they deserve to be restricted from voting ever again - I'm not sure.
You can't come up with sufficient numbers because they don't exist. I've already said I think they deserve to vote upon release. Voting and carrying a gun are not similar. Some laws are bad but that doesn't mean you open the gun flood gates. You work to fix those laws that are in fact unjust before you reward the wrong people with a firearm.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Yes.

I find it amusing that you keep trying to bait me with extreme examples. As I've stated, if the time has been served and/or the fine has been paid, I believe all rights should be restored. I hope I don't have to say that again.
I'm not trying to bait you. I find this completely unbelievable.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You can't come up with sufficient numbers because because they don't exist.
You're the one who's got some magical minimum number in your mind, not I. I don't believe that all felons are violent, and I don't believe they all deserve to lose their right to own a gun.

Here's a story about a woman who was convicted of six felonies for writing and publishing fictitious stories on her website. Do you equate her with rapists and murderers?

Karen Fletcher to Plead Guilty to Obscenity Charges - XBIZ.com

Quote:
Some laws are bad but that doesn't mean you open the gun flood gates. You work to fix those laws that are fact unjust before you reward the wrong people with a firearm.
At least we agree that some laws are bad. Your definition of the "wrong people" is obviously different from mine.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to bait you. I find this completely unbelievable.
It's what I believe. Whether you believe it or not is out of my control.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You're the one who's got some magical minimum number in your mind, not I. I don't believe that all felons are violent, and I don't believe they all deserve to lose their right to own a gun.

Here's a story about a woman who was convicted of six felonies for writing and publishing fictitious stories on her website. Do you equate her with rapists and murderers?

Karen Fletcher to Plead Guilty to Obscenity Charges - XBIZ.com

At least we agree that some laws are bad. Your definition of the "wrong people" is obviously different from mine.
I don't equate her with a rapist or a murderer but she's a felon. Like I said earlier. If the law is bad, work to correct that law. Handing out guns at the prison gate doesn't fix that crime or help anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies