Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should felons be allowed to obtain, possess and carry weapons?
Yes 9 15.00%
No 51 85.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I never denied the fact that they were guilty according to our laws. And I don't wish to change them because in our system, changes usually lead to more actual criminals getting off the hook. What I would like to see is a system that actually looks at the individual and not just their rap sheet. A system that understands love sometimes outweighs reason. A system that recognizes the difference between a an actual rapist and statutory rape. You are right that my friends were guilty, but their crimes should not have been enough to warrant the stripping of their rights in my opinion.

But I will concede to your point about forethought and prior knowledge. They did know what they were doing and did so willingly without coersion. They broke the law and both faced the full penalty under the law. I just wish that after they had served their time and paid their debts to society, they would also be free to live their lives again without constraint. Because guns and voting aren't the only thing you lose when you have a felony. You also basically lose your right to a good job. Yeah, I know it isn't written in stone, but once you are labeled a felon the only choices you really have are restaurant jobs or working for the state. And while working for the state isn't bad, they only have so many positions and I doubt they want an entire workforce made up of felons themselves. I just feel the punishment for some of these unfortuante people does not fit the crimes they committed.
In some instances, the penalty doesn't suit the crime(crack vs. cocaine) but I don't think that does anything in regards to the judgement of the convict. Our system recognizes the difference between a forcible rapist and a statutory rapist. Penalties are different but statutory rape is still a crime that must be fully enforced. If someone clearly knows that they are committing a felony and decide to go ahead with it, they need to fully accept all of its consequences to include losing there right to a firearm. I have a heart but it gets a little hard when it comes to those that willfully commit a felony. I in no way view them as "unfortunate". Of course there are cases of wrongful and/or biased convictions but that's for another thread. Losing out on job prospects are up to individual employers. But it's still a result of those that committed the crime. Can you blame an employer for not wanting to hire a criminal? Again, employers look for responsible people that they can trust and a person that knowingly commits a felony is not trustworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,415 times
They are going to get them anyway if they want, so it doesn't really matter if it's legal.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
They are going to get them anyway if they want, so it doesn't really matter if it's legal.
With that thinking, we should get rid of all laws.

It matters as a means of a deterent. If they get caught attempting to obtain one or in possession of one, they go back to jail.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM

32 posts, read 19,472 times
Yes they should be allowed.ALL gun laws need thrown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies