Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
• Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.
One of the reasons by Philip Morris supported the bill and help draft it. They don't make any flavored cigarettes, but RJ Reynolds did. Oh, but menthol flavoring is still allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I just love how people who are "pro choice" when it comes to some things are so anti choice when it comes to tobacco. This is turning into one big nanny state and just because you don't smoke don't think they will neglect you. Some states are already putting a large tax on soft drinks and fast food because they are "bad for you and increase the cost of dental and health care." They have decided that we aren't mature enough to be trusted to choose our own cars so they are regulating everything except shoebox cars out of existence. I will bet you big money that within 10 years they will be telling you what kind of house you can have and where you can build it....even more than they do now. 1984 was really non fiction....they just had the date wrong.
Nah, you gotta remember that people were allowed to smoke in Orwell's novel...

You see these people are only are individualists and believe that someone owns their own body when it suits their needs.

That is why you'll hear some people who support abortion on the grounds that someone should have control over their own body and that individual needs outweigh collective needs. They find the idea that the government owns your body or that you should be forced to have a child because the government is worried about demographic imbalances to be offensive.

I agree with them, but what I don't agree with is when these same "liberals" (they are not) quickly become moralistic, paternalistic, and collectivist when someone does something they don't like. Even if you support smoking bans in enclosed spaces which are accessible to the general public on health grounds (which are by no means conclusive and are a lot shakier than many think), why do these same people support other anti-smoking measures and tax increases? Because they want to reduce smoking on moralistic and collectivist grounds with punitive measures.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Nah, you gotta remember that people were allowed to smoke in Orwell's novel...

You see these people are only are individualists and believe that someone owns their own body when it suits their needs.

That is why you'll hear some people who support abortion on the grounds that someone should have control over their own body and that individual needs outweigh collective needs. They find the idea that the government owns your body or that you should be forced to have a child because the government is worried about demographic imbalances to be offensive.

I agree with them, but what I don't agree with is when these same "liberals" (they are not) quickly become moralistic, paternalistic, and collectivist when someone does something they don't like. Even if you support smoking bans in enclosed spaces which are accessible to the general public on health grounds (which are by no means conclusive and are a lot shakier than many think), why do these same people support other anti-smoking measures and tax increases? Because they want to reduce smoking on moralistic and collectivist grounds with punitive measures.
EXACTLY!!!!! I think you would find that 90 out of 100 smokers would agree to no smoking in an enclosed public space where others are working, eating, etc. But when they use the power of the tax to "moderate" an adult's behavior it is another story. They don't want you to smoke, to eat food with sugar or fat, or a number of other things that "they" deem unhealthy. And they will use the "health care cost" as their excuse to attempt to micro manage the lives of other adults. BS. I could give a long argument about why that isn't true but it would be ignored anyhow. But it just slays me how the same people who think a 13 year old girl should have the unfettered "right" to something as potentially traumatic as an abortion without parental input also believes that people in their 60s should not have the right to make their own decision about what they put into their own body.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Before people knew smoking was bad for them they died of lung cancer like flies. People smoked EVERYWHERE - just watch an old movie or old TV to see. They had to be told by the Surgeon General in the 70s, warnings printed on packs, etc. before the smoking-related death rate began to go down.
Alcohol is no better, in fact I have never heard of anyone that ran down an innocent child after smoking too much. Alcohol should be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies