Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,601,161 times

Advertisements

He may be a comedian but according to the video, he comes from a family of farmers so this isn't some "celebrity cause" for him. This is him speaking up for his family so stop ragging on him. With the water demand in LA, I too have to wonder if it's really about the fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:23 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,018,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Wouldn't it have been more prudent to notify the farmers of this area well in advance? And perhaps offer a solution rather than to shut off the supply of water in the dead of night?

As far as the environmental resource, how many decades have they been pumping this water?

I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the area, I'll admit that; however, it appears to me these fish have survived for the decades and decades this water has been pumped.

Yet, it's only now that they are on the verge of extinction?

I'm not heartless, in fact quite the opposite. But, there are also people's lives depending on this water and it appears to be a knee-jerk reaction to shut this water off 100 percent all at once.
If this is in N. California, I can personally attest that water shut-off issues re: various fish spiecies has been widely discussed and expected for at least the past year.

June of 2008, Oregon's famed salmon fishery collapsed. Two major reasons were overfishing and water diversion from the Southern Oregon area (Rogue and other rivers) to compensate for the now prepetual drought conditions in California- manmade conditions caused by carrying capacity and Global Warming.

These conditions are now overstressing numerous eco-sysytems which have been on the brink for many decades- in California and elsewhere.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,326,558 times
A bumper sticker spotted recently on a Prius:
Save The Fish, Kill The Babies!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,646,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No...water as a commodity to own.
Squabbles over water rights generally don't involve bringing in the ESA unless there's actually a species threatened, simply because it's an like swatting flies with an elephant gun.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:55 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Rodriguez is a comic, no?

Comedy is not involved here, unless it's the fact that Faux had to dip so low to find someone with no relevant cridentials to deliver their material.
I don't care who he is. Chances are, he is on the news because he was a public icon and has now taken a personal interest into the topic (bringing up his family who he claims is involved in this may be motivation). His position does not validate the topic, his position or public value is irrelevant. The fact that an actor may get on TV and proclaim that murder is wrong does not invalidate his claim.

In the end, you could have a sock puppet up arguing the issue and it wouldn't matter. The issue itself is what is relevant. We are talking about an entertainment icon getting up and using their public influence to gain support for a hypothetical (much like is done with global warming). We are talking about an issue that is cut and dry. The cause and effect of the issue is either the fish loses or people lose.

I have met many environmentalist when I lived in California. Some believe that if humanity takes a toll for a situation, it is acceptable. That is, they have no problems if 100k people die off, as long as their precious subject lives, the price is acceptable (I had an exact answer to this specific many times in conversations). Personally, I say "Save a human, shoot an environmentalist". Not because I think the environment should be dumped on, but because of the environmentalist I have met and discussed with, humanity would be better off culling their idiocy.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM

I trust you have not read much on this- or other- environmental issues.

If so, explain how no governmental action will help the dying resource recover.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,866,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What about the animals that depend on those little fish for food? Don't they matter either? What about the fish species that eat the smelt that humans catch in turn? I suppose it doesn't matter if a whole ecosystem collapses, just as long as we get our water, right?

It's not as simple as let the fish go extinct so we can have more water. What if the fishing industry around California collapses because a vital link goes missing in the food chain? Then you'd have a wrecked ecosystem AND a bunch of people out of work, not only commercial fishermen but also those that depend on sports fishing for their livelihoods instead of farmers.
Seriously you think that little fish is more important then humans and their lively hood

Get the fish move them someplace let them breed and keep living but you cant put a fish before a human

Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,391,881 times
There are families of fishermen that are effected by this also. And others related to the fishery in the Delta... Did Hannity and Rodriquez consider that? The thing is, the fish population in the Delta is collapsing. Salmon and striped bass are at all time lows. Should we just go ok.... no big deal... let them go?

The other thing that ticks me off about this issue is the central valley hasn't shown me any intention of conserving. They are against water meters where those that use the most would pay more... which I think is perfectly reasonable. Here's a story from NPR:

Without Meters, Fresno Water Beyond Measure : NPR

So what can I say.... Hannity presented one side of the story and that's all.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I trust you have not read much on this- or other- environmental issues.

If so, explain how no governmental action will help the dying resource recover.

You mean you ignorantly assume? The dying resource is of less concern than that of a human. You may claim dire circumstances to its extinction, yet you would have to rely on assumptions and predictions, those of which that have been observationally proven wrong on many occasions. Spotted Owl anyone? You know, the owl that could not adapt or survive unless it was under specific circumstances and had the perfect environment to which the "ecoidiots" proclaimed? That one gave me a chuckle, but you know what they say... "you can't fix stupid".

Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You mean you ignorantly assume? The dying resource is of less concern than that of a human. You may claim dire circumstances to its extinction, yet you would have to rely on assumptions and predictions, those of which that have been observationally proven wrong on many occasions. Spotted Owl anyone? You know, the owl that could not adapt or survive unless it was under specific circumstances and had the perfect environment to which the "ecoidiots" proclaimed? That one gave me a chuckle, but you know what they say... "you can't fix stupid".
Yes you can.

Start with this:

Food chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies