Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If the United States establishes a program that is Government operated / run, thereby putting the companies out of business - the law would mandate the Government pay them "just and fair compensation" - just the same way the Government has to do when they take property for a road
It depends. That would almost certainly go up to the Supreme Court, at which point it would depend on the makeup of the Supreme Court. But government legislation that eliminates or changes the nature of certain industries often does not qualify as a taking for 5th Amendment purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You are aware, I hope, that every UHC in the world comes with a residency requirement? If an American takes sick and is hospitalized in France, there will be a bill.
On tour in Germany. One of the people on our tour became ill and went to the ER there. No charge!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
On tour in Germany. One of the people on our tour became ill and went to the ER there. No charge!
We offer the same for our "visitors", the taxpayers pick up the tab!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
What happens when none of the above "ifs" happens? Every American will have health insurance, that's what will happen.
Tank, can you tell me who pays for that insurance that the government supplies every one of us with care with. I just haven't figured out where the money comes from. They can't keep printing more all the time and many of those who now pay taxes will stop working so they can receive the same kind of refunds that those who don't pay taxes get. Somehow you seem to know who pays so let me know,

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
To what degree have these problems been encountered in Austrailia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cuba, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, or the United Kingdom? All of these countries, as I'm sure you're aware, have one variant or another of a UHC-based health care system, and many of them have had for quite some time. What was their experience? Did they encounter any of the problems that you raise? If so, how did they deal with them? If not, why should we alone expect to?
How long has Australia had that kind of insurance? I have a friend there who just paid $8000 out of pocket because the government wouldn't pay on a proceedure for his wife and he didn't trust the government hospitals. He says they are buildings that look good on the outside and on the inside you find that they are kind of like the falsefronts of the movies. Do you suppose he is one of those conservative liars? I don't think so but you surely woud.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiami View Post
All the other countries are succesfull!! I dont hear anyone complaing about the systems in these countries...Infact they have overall better health! But Yet we are one of the Richest and have so many poor with people loosing houses!!!! We have our mentally ill sleeping in the streets..then you wonder why we have soo many BUMS...We Baker Act the mentally ill..give then medication and in a few days throw them back into the streets...They have mentall issues..how do you expect for them to follow taking prescritions without supervsion???? All I can say it sucks to see my own mother struggling trying to see the doctors when she has no income and is past 50,with health problems and to see a doctor she goes through referal after refferal...bus here bus there to not even knowing when her results gets in....its really frustrating to see her struggle ..I just spoke to a couple that came from Canada and they said that whenever they had a problem.. a cold or whatever ..the went without an appointment and was seen quick...yes taxes are a little higher but for your health who cares! Id rather pay higher taxes then pay 100k for a major surjery which we all will end up having because we all get old one day and nothing runs on tip-top shape after a while. I think Universal Health care is the way to go and for those who have $ like that they should have the option to choose whoever they prefer ..just like in Canada.
Surely you could move a thousand miles north and all of a sudden have health care just like in Canada.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yeah and read this!

This is here in America now!

Heart attack patients have longer ER wait - USATODAY.com
I had a heart attack on a Sunday and was in the hospital that night although it was 125 miles from my home. On Monday they did a heart cath and found some major plugging in the heart arteries. Tuesday they had me doped up so I couldn't run around and did the surgery at 7:00 am on Wednesday. I was only in emergency room in my tiny town hospital for about 30 minutes the beginning of all that. I didn't feel that I had to wait more than one day for the surgery after the cath found me over 90% plugged on three arteries and over 80% on three others. Six by-pass surgery isn't anything so great, as far as I am concerned.

I forgot to say that I am on Medicare and was then, also. I never saw a bill so guess they paid all that the hospital asked for. I will stay with what we have now because I an see me lying there waiting for younger people to get the surgery instead of first come first served. I was 72 at the time and am sure that it would have taken more than just two days in hospital to get the surgery. The EMT that rode with me thought I passed on during the ride so I doubt I would have made it waiting very long.

Did you hear the countries that Obama told the AMA people had such great single payer systems? Let me tell you that he didn't name one just said they existed. The next day Gibbs couldn't name any of them either.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Unhappy What happened to YOU people!

I say lets not do anything to fix the for profit medical system. People can continue to get ill and die and it will help reduce the population as well the number of people wanting social security because they don’t have a pension plan or job that will continue to provide them with the medical coverage they and their family will need. This surely makes sense to everyone to just keep doing the same thing that has gotten the nation into this problem in the first place ~ greed of course seems to work just fine for most – remember it’s a for profit system.

I’m sorry but through no fault of your own you lost you job, your health care, and your savings. So what do you want ~ the church isn’t going to help you, and you surely don’t think the government will help you do you? There are too many people out there that just don’t care about you, so it’s the same old system just another day.

[I posted this because it’s SICK and that seems to be the thing I’m hearing from too many of the postings here. Are you really for profit at the cost of someone else’s health or life?] I hope I don’t see some of you in church this Sunday! What happened to you people anyway? The Lord wouldn’t want “for profit health care”!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
God the paranoia from the anti UHC brigade...would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Who is paying me to SHILL????????? LMAO
Well, who is paying you to shill for them?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Do you ever actually answer a question asked? As in What UHC country had to buy up all their hospitals, clinics, and insurance companies as part of implementing their plan? As for hospitals in Japan, by the way, about 80% of them are private.
Meaning 20% of them are government run, which according to my OP, is one of the consequences.. I know your smart enough to figure out how I got 20% right?
Quote:
What is the rate in the United States?
A better question might be how many hospitals are NOT funded by the government? Remember, its illegal for a hospital in the USA to turn away a patient if they receive funding from the government..
Quote:
No, let's listen to the baseless rant of a bunch of right-wingers. That's never gotten us into any trouble before.
Really? Thats the best you can do? Confirm my argument by pointing out how the hospitals in Japan are 20% public, (wonder why), and how the hospitals in the USA are already subsidized by taxpayers.. FAIL, as usual with your postings..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies