Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Why don't you take a deep breath and try to think logically about this for a moment.

This is a product that is a well-known carcinogenic and addictive drug, that is linked to the death of nearly half a million Americans every year. It is a product filled with chemicals that are ingested into the body. And because of that fact, regulation of it is now being moved to the Food and Drug Administration.

And that's where it ought to be!

No one's telling you that you can't smoke cigarettes. But you are going to be informed, the drugs and additives in it are going to be regulated and the deceptive practices used to entice children to start this addiction will be banned.

I fail to see why this is such a bad thing.

Jill, former 18 year smoker (seriously, you really ought to quit - it wreaks havoc on your body!).

Oh, silly us. We were not informed that ciggys were bad. Thanks Jill and Obama. We just didn't know.

Jill, no doubt still thinking Barry is a smarty pants.

Hey, Jill: Riddle us this....how many people have died of lung cancer and copd since the Surgeon General warnings started in the 60's - 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

224 posts, read 378,293 times
In all fairness, there are plenty of other serious illegal and deceitful actions to be upset about...

Take this latest gem:

Obama: Not Keeping Promise of Transparency | Newsweek Politics | Newsweek.com

Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I fail to see why this is such a bad thing.
Trampling on the rights of Americans is a very very bad thing.

Women choose to get abortions, so why can't folks choose to smoke?

Nevermind what other folks think ... it's none of their business ... we would rather be in total control of our bodies ... right?

So why is the Fed all hell bent and bound to presume upon us in such a way as this? ...

Drink, smoke, abortion, tatoo, piercings, mullets, nose rings .... leave us and our bodies the hell alone.

If you want to start outlawing or restricting smokes, then by golly gumbo, you'ld best be ready to go after all of the things listed above, or leave us all alone.

We're Americans, full grown and adult. If the Fed wants to rule someones roost, let them regulate or otherwise outlaw themselves ... but leave us, the American public ... alone!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's funny how the liberals are all up in arms about any kind of cigarettes but would support smoking all the dope you want.
Sorry, but that's just simply not true. If the Democrats supported legalization of marijuana, it would have been done years ago. There are only a handful of people in Senate or Congress who support legalization, and quite a few on on the Republican side, like Dana Rohrabracher, Ron Paul and Gary Johnson to name a few.

Try looking up facts before stating opinions.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is the LAST STRAW. I would vote for anyone, up to and including a ham sandwhich before I ever vote for Obama in 2012.

Today, Obama signed the single most fascist piece of legislation since the Patriot Act. An anti-smoking bill which bans any flavor in tobacco, including my cloves!

Washington's Marlboro Men - WSJ.com

What the hell! I mean, is it bad for me? YES, I KNOW. Do I smoke in front of people who don't smoke? NO. So, as an adult, I am no longer allowed to do with my body what I want to do with my body. Thanks, Mein Furher, for running my life better then I can run it

I mean, America has an epidemic of obesity that is killing people left and right...so, why doesn't Obama ban the flavor chocolate? Why stop with kreteks?

The whole thing is absurd and really has got me angry. And no, I AM STILL NOT QUITTING! IF ANYTHING, THIS LAW MAKES ME WANNA SMOKE MORE OUT OF SPITE!

I will either A) buy them from the internet where I am sure I can get them on there somewhere from Canada or something, because the law does not effect imports or B), buy pipe tobacco and add spices and roll my own damn cloves.

And you know, people are saying how great it is to have a "pro-choice" president who respects a woman's right to a choose...but what about MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE how the hell I want to poison my body!?

KEEP YOUR LAWS OF OF MY BODY AND OUT OF MY LUNGS!

I am 27, black, and from the blue state of New Jersey, and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for this Fascist piece of human filth ever again.

This is nothing more the usual government response to solutions.
If we cant break the habits we tax you to death, if you want to have freedom to choose anything we will outlaw it.
If you want to kill yourself with smoking I dont care, next they will ban the burger kings and mcdonalds for increasing our health care costs etc etc.
Those who ask government for solutions are doomed to become slaves to a system of control. The government has no right to this and I find its another example of big government. Also being that your from new jersey as which I lived in once for most of my life it is another example of a broke, over spending, over regulated state with high taxes and no results. If you have a R or D next to your name I have given up on you until I hear the WORDS INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY!!! With your right to make as much as you can, to take home as much of your paycheck that you earn, and most of all choosing what you put into your bodies is something the government should keep its nose out of. If we keep giving them more power and more of our money this is what you get.
Endless war, endless regulations and endless taxation.
All of it leading to endless misery and lost liberty.

Ron Paul 2012

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
This is the LAST STRAW. I would vote for anyone, up to and including a ham sandwhich before I ever vote for Obama in 2012.

Today, Obama signed the single most fascist piece of legislation since the Patriot Act. An anti-smoking bill which bans any flavor in tobacco, including my cloves!

Washington's Marlboro Men - WSJ.com

What the hell! I mean, is it bad for me? YES, I KNOW. Do I smoke in front of people who don't smoke? NO. So, as an adult, I am no longer allowed to do with my body what I want to do with my body. Thanks, Mein Furher, for running my life better then I can run it

I mean, America has an epidemic of obesity that is killing people left and right...so, why doesn't Obama ban the flavor chocolate? Why stop with kreteks?

The whole thing is absurd and really has got me angry. And no, I AM STILL NOT QUITTING! IF ANYTHING, THIS LAW MAKES ME WANNA SMOKE MORE OUT OF SPITE!

I will either A) buy them from the internet where I am sure I can get them on there somewhere from Canada or something, because the law does not effect imports or B), buy pipe tobacco and add spices and roll my own damn cloves.

And you know, people are saying how great it is to have a "pro-choice" president who respects a woman's right to a choose...but what about MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE how the hell I want to poison my body!?

KEEP YOUR LAWS OF OF MY BODY AND OUT OF MY LUNGS!

I am 27, black, and from the blue state of New Jersey, and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for this Fascist piece of human filth ever again.
They are banning cloves! That is the last [MOD CUT/language] straw. This congress has done jack nothing, but waste money with bailouts. They haven't delivered on even one major thing they promised since minimum wage. They haven't done jack on DOMA, reduction of deficit spending, the wars, heck they cannot even get a public option togeather and now their sad excuse idea for a real law is banning cloves. Damn I am going to vote republican in 2010. Maybe having the president and congress fight eachother will control spending at least....its better then wasting money and banning my smokes.

The bill does ban cloves http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/...garettes/18375

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-22-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: crude

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Because everyone assumes that all black people are Obama's lemmings, that's why.
Well, I see this as another great milestone in African American history, a clear demonstration that we can be as vacuous as the average blond valley girl.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
Good for you Victorian Punk!

With the alarming rate that Obama is continuing Bush's illegal actions and raising the bar with his own lies everyone will have their own final straw. I commend you for accepting the truth.

I hope you will look into Libertarian and other 3rd party philosophy and stop accepting the lesser of two evils. The two party dictatorship in this country needs to be toppled. We need politicians who are willing to work within the constraints of the US Constitution and are interested in the well being of the people of this nation, not their own political aspirations.
I preached this same message from the moment I joined City Data to absolutely no avail. For some reason, the people of this country believe if they don't vote for one of the two popular candidates, their vote is "wasted" But they have forgotten, we are supposed to be voting for who we think is the best man for the job. Not for the popular guy, the white guy, the black guy, the Democrat, the Republican, the Liberal, the Conservative. In case you haven't all noticed, these labels all amount to the same thing in the end and none of them ever keep their promises. At least by giving a third party a try we could make these politicians understand we are no longer under their thumbs. Because as long as we keep gobbling up what ever they regurgitate for us at the voting booths, things will always stay the same.

Oh, and the government doesn't need anymore control over anything in this country. But, I do think it is a good idea to make tobacco companies list their ingredients on the box. And I don't mean anonymous ingredients like "natural flavors" either. Many people don't realize those two words cover so very much ground. You know, arsenic and cyanide are naturally occuring substances thus, they are "natural flavors" Funny how the game is played isn't folks.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieFin View Post
Is he outlawing putting pot in cigars? "Blunts"
No Fin, we are still free to buy blunts and empty them out in the parking lot! Thank God!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Trampling on the rights of Americans is a very very bad thing.

Women choose to get abortions, so why can't folks choose to smoke?

Nevermind what other folks think ... it's none of their business ... we would rather be in total control of our bodies ... right?

So why is the Fed all hell bent and bound to presume upon us in such a way as this? ...

Drink, smoke, abortion, tatoo, piercings, mullets, nose rings .... leave us and our bodies the hell alone.

If you want to start outlawing or restricting smokes, then by golly gumbo, you'ld best be ready to go after all of the things listed above, or leave us all alone.

We're Americans, full grown and adult. If the Fed wants to rule someones roost, let them regulate or otherwise outlaw themselves ... but leave us, the American public ... alone!
This bill doesn't prevent you from smoking if you want to.

It gives control over what additives are allowed, and how they are labeled on packaging and advertising, to the FDA.

Sorry if you like strawberry and grape-flavored cigarettes as an adult (though I highly doubt that), but since those "flavors" are marketed to children, I think our government has a right to try to protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies