Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok so why does it have to be the US that saves the world ?
Can we get our own country on some sound footing before we dole out money to save the trees ?
Make the people cutting down the trees pay for their damage.
What you're not understanding is that by saving the trees down there we are saving our civilization here.

There's no separation anymore. It's not giving anything away. It's protecting our self-interest as a nation. One can argue whether it's the smartest investment right now, which is fine, but it's definitely not a selfless act to help some other nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The specificities of the bill aside, you do realize that we live in a global society now, right? The Amazon rain forest is essentially the lungs of the western hemisphere.

We don't have the luxury of pretending environmental problems stop at our border. The problem isn't in protecting the air we all breathe, it's in pretending we can govern a global society from an archaic nation-state structure.

Only a matter of time before global governance where these silly debates about arbitrary political boundaries will end.

What kind of global governance do you forsee? Based upon what?

Right now, there are two global government models. Which one do you prefer or do you have another?

1. Global co-operation among independent and sovereign states, based upon some super-entity such as the UN. Each nation would give up some of it's sovereignty in exchange for unified, global action on common problems.

2. The Neo-Con model which envisions the whole world being controlled by global corporations, with major decisions being made by unelected and unanswerable corporate functionaries, for the common good. It's very similiar to the Indian Raj under the British.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What you're not understanding is that by saving the trees down there we are saving our civilization here.
Who cut down the trees ?
Who didn't practice conservative methods ?
Whoever is "who" above won't stop and will continue to cut down the trees and there's nothing we can do because we don't own that country.

You're throwing money at the symptom, not fixing the problem.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
So we're going to save the world yet again and US citizens will gladly foot the bill.
You better believe I'll gladly give my dollars to save the rainforests. I don't want this earth to become a concrete jungle. Apparently, some of you do.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
You know what's hilarious? People are all for globalization when it comes to making money....BUY BUY BUY, SELL SELL SELL! In terms of corporation, they can't see beyond the green. But when it comes to global health & environment, it comes down to "well now, now that doesn't seem very fiscal, now does it? I'm sorry, that just doesn't work for me. Now, why should I care what pesky trees are being cut down? I mean, come on! I live here in the U.S., the land of....well, the land of...well the land of free enterprise goldarnit! No one can take my land or money away from me, NO ONE!"

Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You better believe I'll gladly give my dollars to save the rainforests. I don't want this earth to become a concrete jungle. Apparently, some of you do.
I don't want that either, but this isn't giving money. this is extortion plain and simple.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Uncle Sam = Uncle Sucker

Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
You're throwing money at the symptom, not fixing the problem.
Maybe so, but it makes us "feel good".

Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
After seeing aid sent to other countries misappropriated, how are we even to believe that our tax dollars will in fact save trees as opposed to lining the pockets of some corrupt politicians?

I agree that something needs to be done on a GLOBAL scale in order to ensure our planet's health, but throwing money at one locale is not the answer.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:22 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
This is what some of you voted for. Don't be so surprised when it actually happens...
Quote:
"I come to Berlin as so many of my countrymen have come before, although tonight, I speak to you not as a candidate for president, but as a citizen -- a proud citizen of the United States, and a fellow citizen of the world,"
and

Transatlantic Relations - Brookings Institution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies